What's new

Faces Quiz #2 - Military Faces

Here it is gents, the second installment of the soon-to-be-legendary Faces Quiz! :tongue: This is a tough one - a score of over 15 would be 'admirable' indeed. With 'answers hiding in file names' now a thing of the past, I figure this one will challenge the minds of even the most dedicated of you military history buffs out there, even with the 'net. Rules of play can be found at the link below but basically all you have to do to achieve board-wide acclaim, fame, and glory is PM me your list of who you think these men are.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107493

One entry per person to keep it sane (and my inbox from detonating) and post below that you have PM'd me. Look for the subtle hints hiding in many of the images. Have fun gents and take your time on this one...there are a few stinkers thrown in for your history hunting frustra....uh, I mean pleasure. :tongue:

*Disclaimer: I in no way condone everything/anything any of these men did, may have done, or failed to do; this is meant to be a fun, educational history exercise only.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Have had two takers so far who have scored very well (Ken Tanaka and TSWebster)...let's see if anyone can top them! :biggrin:

I met General H. Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. several years ago. He is quite an impressive gentlemen. I also have pictures at Gen Patton's grave at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial in Hamm, Luxembourg.

Sadly I think without searching I can only name about 12 or 13 of these fellows.

I'll save the PM for someone who has a chance at winning this one.

A hearty congrats to all who participated. After a hard-fought battle it looks like luvmysuper has emerged victorious with a stellar score of 19/20. RazorDingo was nearly in there too with an admirable tally of 18. Special mention should also go to the Unknownsoldier who, aside from putting up a very respectable score in his own right, was the only one who managed to name the Canadian General Harry Crerar (probably the toughest one of the lot to name). Once again, luvmysuper, you are a hero! :thumbup: Hope you gents had some fun and will take a crack at the next one when it comes out. :biggrin:

1. Erwin Rommel
2. Hermann Wilhelm Göring
3. Chang Kai Shek
4. Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery
5. Ho Chi Minh
6. Joseph Goebbels
7. Heinrich Himmler
8. Norman Schwartzkopf
9. Hideki Tojo
10. General Patton
11. Pol Pot
12. Winston Churchill
13. Benito Mussolini
14. General Robert E Lee
15. Douglas MacArthur
16. General Harry Crerar (Leader of Military Operations for Canada in WWII)
17. Than Shwe (Burmese Junta leader)
19. Soviet Marshal Georgy Zhukov (Red Army leader in WWII)
20. Admiral Karl Dönitz (took over after Hitler died, master of the U-Boat navy)
21. Manfred Von Richthofen (the Red Baron)

I don't feel too bad. My initial guesses were ok. I didn't get 16, 17 or 20.

But then who thinks of Canada when discussing military? :lol: J/K Bud.

Even this Canadian didn't think of looking for a Canadian General...those old WWII uniforms look to much like the British Generals.

A good quiz.

I was looking in the wrong continent for both of the ones I missed. And, to be honest, I don't think I'd have ever gotten the Canadian one.

Zhukhov had me puzzled for a while. Some of those Soviet-era photographs are so retouched, you aren't really sure if you are looking at an actual person. And its pretty rare to see Zhukhov (or indeed any WWII era Soviet general) smiling in a picture.

The tip that finally narrowed things down: Huge star on the shoulder boards. The insignia of a Marshall of the Soviet Union. And there haven't been that many of them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was looking at his medals, and thought for sure they were US decorations. Harder to tell in black and white.

Even this Canadian didn't think of looking for a Canadian General...those old WWII uniforms look to much like the British Generals.

You should have at least spotted the Canadian Maple leaf on his WW2 overseas service medal! ;-) :D

And Zhukov, should have been obvious from the Victory Star on his tunic, the most expensive medal ever made, it has something like 37 Diamonds and 7 rubies and is constructed from Gold and Platinum, there were only around 11 awarded. He was also IIRC the only Russian Marshall, that was a Hero of the Soviet Union (the gold star on the red ribbon) 3 times. :D

Thanks Thunderball :D THat really made me work my stagnating brain :D

Tom

You must be kidding. Only the Canadian military had the logistical know-how to keep Allied forces supplied with beer in all weather conditions! :biggrin:

Very valid point! That was a joke anyway. They may not have the size or might of the US military but they are a fine military service.

Top Bottom