What's new

The MMA Thread

Well, this is interesting.

Brock Lesnar close to finalizing deal to fight at UFC 200

Here comes the pain. Again?

The UFC is in serious talks with former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar to have him fight at UFC 200on July 9 in Las Vegas, multiple sources confirmed with MMA Fighting.

Both sides are close to finalizing a deal, and if all goes well, Lesnar's return to mixed martial arts could be announced imminently.

While talks are progressing well between Lesnar and the UFC, an opponent for Lesnar isn't close to being finalized. It is unclear at this time who is under consideration.

The 38-year-old Lesnar hasn't competed in MMA since his Dec. 2011 loss to Alistair Overeem at UFC 141. Lesnar's career was cut short due to his struggles with diverticulitis, and after leaving MMA, he returned to World Wrestling Entertainment, where he's been performing for the last four years.

Since leaving the UFC, both sides have often flirted with the idea of a reunion.

UFC president Dana White said in 2012 that they were close to booking Lesnar vs. Fedor Emelianenkoat Cowboys Stadium, but that deal ultimately fell through after Emelianenko's father passed away, according to White. And the UFC tried to re-sign Lesnar last year as his WWE contract was expiring, but Lesnar chose to return to WWE instead.

In October, Lesnar said on the "Stone Cold" Steve Austin's podcast that he was very serious about coming back to the UFC.

"It wasn't a bluff," Lesnar told Austin. "I felt robbed by diverticulitis. I felt robbed by being sick. I was feeling good and it took me a couple years to start feeling good. I'm at home, I'm working out, my life is great, everything's in tune, my contract's coming to an end with WWE, hey it's been a great time but something's missing.

"I was up front and totally honest with the company and told them I'm really thinking of pursuing getting back in the Octagon."

Lesnar, considered one of the greatest draws in MMA history, left the UFC with a 5-3 professional record. He won the UFC heavyweight title in Nov. 2008 when he defeated Randy Couture via second-round TKO. Though, many would argue his crowning achievement was his performance as a headliner at UFC 100 in July 2009. On that night in Las Vegas, Lesnar avenged his loss to Frank Mir in what still stands as the best-selling pay-per-view in MMA history.

If this new deal can get done, there's a great chance UFC 200, featuring the return of Lesnar, would break that seven-year-old record.

I hope he wins too. It would be great, and validate a lot of what Bisping has been saying about PED's users.
OH MY!!! we got our wish!!

what a sweet KO that was, man that was just poetic justice! Rockhold was talking so much trash prefight.

And Hendo!!! Just WOW!! I seriously hope he retires now.

Finally caught up with the previous card: almeida/garbrandt.

That was a good card as well, barao vs stephens was a war. Mcmann vs eye was alright. Have a feeling that jesicca eye will get walking papers soon.

Garbrandt vs Almeida was awesome, looks like cody has some solid boxing. Looking forward to seeing him scrap again. That was a good KO.

Oh that was hilarious when Bobby Green was calling Dustin Poiere to come forward and bring it and then got KO'd.

What was he thinking?

Sri watching the fight, even though I know a few of the results. Very happy to hear Bisping get the title, but can't see him holding it long.

Last edited:
Hendo with another win after almost being decapitated. So I'm guessing he will continue to fight and sustain long term damage that we will see in the years after he does retire.

It's sad to watch.

Hendo did say it may be his last fight. I hope it is.

The man has one of, if not the most impressive resume in MMA, he's a legend period. No need to prove anything else.

What's the deal with Ariel Hewani getting banned from UFC events? Anyone else heard this?

My understanding is that he broke news of Broc Lesnar's return to the UFC before Dana and company wanted it announced it they didn't like it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattcon...ning-mma-reporter-ariel-helwani/#7db84a6688ba

Edited to add:

I am so happy for Bisping and Hendo! I didn't think either Bisping or Hendo had much of a chance to win and I'm glad they both did. I really hope Dan retires on a high note.

Last edited:
Brock doesn't stay anywhere for very long, does he?

Still, it always seems like Vince and Dana both keep the welcome mat out for him. By way of crossing up with the wrestling thread, his tendency to leave on a whim is why I (and many others) thought it a mistake to let him be the one to break Undertaker's WM streak.

Brock will face Mark Hunt at UFC 200.

They really threw him back to into the wolves, one punch from hunt and its goodnight for lesnar.

Did Brock negotiate a PED waiver? I have to admit, this fight is a head scratcher. But I'll watch it. It should be a freakshow of Pride-like proportions.

Top Bottom