What's new

The MMA Thread

Bert Watson was let go recently, as well. I wonder if this is "just" about the Reebok deal, or if it might be that some of "the help" were starting to acquire profiles beyond a level that Zuffa was happy about.

There have been many stories featuring BOTH individuals on the various sites. I am sure that having to share the spotlight with other "personalities" might be an issue within Zuffa.

Not sure about the Watson fiasco, I had read that he got into it with someone from rouseys entourage. I don't really know though.

but this thing with Duran seems clear. The cut men have to get rid of the sponsors on their vests and won't be compensated for it. I think it's BS. And I think it's great that he spoke out.

Because of them, fights go on instead of getting stopped, and fighters are safer inside the cage because of the cutmans experience. They've developed a rapport with them and for the UFC to take that away from the fighters and possibly bring in an inexperienced cutman. I think it's a slap in the face

And he really is the premier cutman. One of the klitschko bros won't fight unless "stitch" is in his corner.

I've been leaning that way for a while Tim. I'm still bent out of shape that they stripped Aldo of the title in order to cash in on the the McGregor cash wagon.

They stripped Aldo of the title????

I misspoke. After Aldo pulled out of the McGregor fight they made the Conner vs Mendes fight for the interim belt.

Connor is the interim champ. Aldo last fought October 25 2014 and he beat Mendes. I believe that the UFC made their decisions based solely on having Connor as champ and how much money he could make for them.

I have a hard time rationalizing interim belts and what they mean. Is Conner the champ? What about Cormier? Cormier got beat by Jones, is he still the champ? Aldo hasn't been out for a year, yet they have an interim champ. I understand if Aldo was out for a year or more then the strip him of the belt and have a new champ, or an interim champ.

All of this rambling is me trying to say that I don't understand why Connor is the champ or interim champ. It seems like a pro wrestling move to me and in my mind it makes the UFC look less like a sport and more like entertainment.

Interim belts have their purpose, as in the case of Dominick Cruz who was out for an extended period of time, was coming back, prepping for a title fight, and then suffered an injury similar to the one that kept him on the shelf for over a year. In that instance, or similar ones to it, I see no reason to keep the title in limbo, and I am fine with the notion of an "interim" title being put up for grabs. The winner of that belt would be "Champion" until such time as the "actual" Champion can return and defend his/her title against the "interim" title holder. Makes them sound a little too much like Miss America, but whatever . . .

With respect to Cormier, I have no issues with referring to him as the Light-heavyweight Champion of the world. Jon Jones was stripped of his title for actions outside of the Octagon, but that does not mean that he did not "lose" his title. It only means that another fighter did not beat him to claim it. The UFC "beat" him, so to speak, by stripping him of the belt for actions detrimental to the sport, and the Company's image. Yes, Cormier had just been defeated by Jones, and Johnson had just defeated Gus for a title opportunity when this occurred, so it was only logical that Johnson (the contender) and Cormier (the last challenger) fight to determine who would be the 205lb. Champion. If it had happened BEFORE Gus got stopped by Rumble, I have no doubt Zuffa would have made THAT a title bout, instead, but we have to deal with what is available at the time.

Making Conor v. Chad a bout for an "Interim" title, was nothing like EITHER of the situations described above. It was about Zuffa's investment of huge $$$ promoting the fight card, and (perhaps) a desire to stick to Aldo for backing out even after Zuffa sweetened the pot to keep the fight intact. In this particular case, I look at the belt Conor has as a joke, unlike previous iterations of "interim" titles. I think it was a capricious decision made in haste. But I am just some schlub who watches the fights with his pals, so what do I know?

In the previous page, Orville and myself were discussing the nature of "interim" belts.

I'm late to the party. As usual.

Interim belts have their purpose, as in the case of Dominick Cruz who was out for an extended period of time, was coming back, prepping for a title fight, and then suffered an injury similar to the one that kept him on the shelf for over a year. In that instance, or similar ones to it, I see no reason to keep the title in limbo, and I am fine with the notion of an "interim" title being put up for grabs. The winner of that belt would be "Champion" until such time as the "actual" Champion can return and defend his/her title against the "interim" title holder. Makes them sound a little too much like Miss America, but whatever . . .

With respect to Cormier, I have no issues with referring to him as the Light-heavyweight Champion of the world. Jon Jones was stripped of his title for actions outside of the Octagon, but that does not mean that he did not "lose" his title. It only means that another fighter did not beat him to claim it. The UFC "beat" him, so to speak, by stripping him of the belt for actions detrimental to the sport, and the Company's image. Yes, Cormier had just been defeated by Jones, and Johnson had just defeated Gus for a title opportunity when this occurred, so it was only logical that Johnson (the contender) and Cormier (the last challenger) fight to determine who would be the 205lb. Champion. If it had happened BEFORE Gus got stopped by Rumble, I have no doubt Zuffa would have made THAT a title bout, instead, but we have to deal with what is available at the time.

Making Conor v. Chad a bout for an "Interim" title, was nothing like EITHER of the situations described above. It was about Zuffa's investment of huge $$$ promoting the fight card, and (perhaps) a desire to stick to Aldo for backing out even after Zuffa sweetened the pot to keep the fight intact. In this particular case, I look at the belt Conor has as a joke, unlike previous iterations of "interim" titles. I think it was a capricious decision made in haste. But I am just some schlub who watches the fights with his pals, so what do I know?

I agree with nearly all of what you are saying. Cruz was a totally different story, and I think that they needed to have an active champ.

I think Connor having an interim belt is a joke.

If Cormier defends the belt successfully I'll think he is the 205 pound champ. What happens if all of the charges against Jones get dropped or he is found not guilty? Should his title and contract be reinstated? I think Jones was spinning out of control for a long time and there are probably a lot of other things going on in his life that we don't know about. In my opinion the UFC was covering it's own butt when they dropped Jones. It will be interesting to see what happens if he comes back to MMA.

I think Connor having an interim belt is a joke. AGREED.

What happens if all of the charges against Jones get dropped or he is found not guilty? Should his title and contract be reinstated? I think Jones was spinning out of control for a long time and there are probably a lot of other things going on in his life that we don't know about. In my opinion the UFC was covering it's own butt when they dropped Jones. It will be interesting to see what happens if he comes back to MMA.

With respect to Jones, he is no longer the Champion at 205. Regardless of the outcome of his legal trouble, that will not change, nor should it. the punishment was for letting himself get INTO that sort of bind in the FIRST place, not a judgement of guilt. And yes, Zuffa IS covering their butts. but it was also the right decision.

Condit vs Lawler for the WW championship, and Hendricks vs Woodley for co main event at UFC 195.

Thank GAWD we do not have to watch Hendricks get destroyed . . . and NEEEWWWWWW . . .

Well, watching Hendricks get beat down would have been fine by me. But I'm glad he's not getting the title shot. He will probably get it if he gets past woodley

Which I doubt he will. The way Johny has been fighting lately is tailor made for Woodley to smash him. Hendricks post-title has been a "safety first" fighter. Nothing wrong with that if you have a skill set like GSP, and cardio for days. Hendricks has neither. He got those highlight reel KOs by pressuring opponents on the feet, and threatening to take them down with his wrestling. Now, he is avoiding positions where he "might get tagged", and thus not opening any lanes for that nuke of a left hand he owns, and his wrestling seems almost like an after-thought. No pressure, and no take-downs means Woodley will not gas, and will likely finish Hendricks sometime in the third.

Some great fights, and some sad outcomes . . .
Dillashaw is CLEARLY much better than the field at this point. Not sure who they can put in their to challenge him based on how effectively he just obliterated Barao.
Tate is going to present an interesting challenge to Rousey should she win over Correia next week (lol). She has enough grappling savy that she might actually be able to defend well enough to avoid the arm bar. and her striking is very much improved on the feet.
Joe Lauzon just sent Gomi into Bellator. The Fireball Kid is running on empty at this point . . . WAY too one dimensional, and no ability to keep the fight in that milieu.
Lawlor made a pleasing return, but he is delusional if he thinks his "run" is leading him to a title shot at 205 . . .
and Jim Miller just guaranteed himself another contract.

Top Bottom