What's new

Help with Barbicide

I have 2 vintage Gillettes I need to disinfect. I have the small 16oz bottle of Barbicide. Now my question what should I use to hold the contents when disinfecting and I don't know how much of what to use. It says 2oz of Barbicide to 32oz of water. I don't have anything that big. I have an old glass jar that holds 24oz of liquid however.

Any input?

Thanks

use one ounce to 16

a measuring cup is 8

so two cups of water in your 24 oz jar, plus a little less than a shot glass of barbicide (or measure 1 oz in the cup measure if it's marked)

if i do the 1 oz barbicide and 16oz water can i put 2 razors in there at the same time? or is that mixture not enough to disinfect more than 1 item?

it's really more the proportion than the amount

a couple of things i learned from elsewhere on this site:

1) make sure you scrub the razors first to wash off as many microbes as possible - most people use a toothbrush for this - sometimes with scrubbing bubbles, sometimes with other substances

2) if you're going to disinfect more than one thing at a time, put them in the barbicide at about the same time - otherwise you're adding new germs in the middle of the process - so if you're only going to soak for, say, an hour, then you have to start timing from the last article you put in the jar

im going to put 2 razors in at the same time, after i clean them with simple green and a toothbrush.

I use scrubbing bubbles and then barkeepers friend with toothbrush and then give them a barbacide soak in the bathroom sink for about 20 minutes.

Not to steal the thread, but since most of us dont use barbicide constantly like they do at a barber shop / salon... How long could we use the same batch? Up until now I have been mixing as needed and tossing when finished. But I like Guidos idea of keeping a capped pickle jar full of it.

Not to steal the thread, but since most of us dont use barbicide constantly like they do at a barber shop / salon... How long could we use the same batch? Up until now I have been mixing as needed and tossing when finished. But I like Guidos idea of keeping a capped pickle jar full of it.

I don't think it's a time related thing. Picking a number out of the air, let's say every 12 razors mix up a new batch.

OK?

- Chris

Top Bottom