What's new

Pils DE Razor

I suppose a perspective could be that an 8 pack of Fusion cartridges was on sale at the grocery for the low price of $30.69 making it a per unit cost of $3.84 if you used 1 per week for a year you are already at $200. Ok, so maybe that isn't so fair to compare the thing we love to hate. Personally, if I can justify that cost for a nice straight razor, I can probably do so with something I'll actually use everyday. I am going to go out on a sturdy limb and say cost wasn't the driving factor when making a weapon of folicular destruction out of awesome. I await patiently.

I yet to see a full review of this razor and I think most guys are waiting for it to justify if they should buy one or not.

How does it shave:bored:

You can read someone's perspective on the razor here: http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/shaving-safety-razors/46073-pils-new-high-end-german-de-anyone-try-yet.html

I also have one, but it has been out on loan for a while. I would want to have it back before I try to write up my thoughts on it. However, I have to say I was quite impressed with the design and the shaves it provides. Was it expensive? Yes. Was it worth it? I think so. The model I bought was the milled stainless, though Pils offers others that are nickel plated...which I wanted to avoid.

The model I bought was the milled stainless, though Pils offers others that are nickel plated...which I wanted to avoid.

Do you mind clarifying why you want to avoid the nickel plated version? Just concerned that plating wear will impact future value/aesthetics, or is there some other reason?

Do you mind clarifying why you want to avoid the nickel plated version? Just concerned that plating wear will impact future value/aesthetics, or is there some other reason?

This is just me, but if I were paying upwards of $300 for one of these razors, it would be for one of the all stainless steel models. That is a large part of the coolness factor of these razors. The razors that are composed of two or more materials should reflect that in a lower price. Again, this is just me and YMMV.

I probably should have excluded that comment about avoiding the nickel plated model. I have no experience with those models, and I am sure they perform exactly the same. It was simply my preference. After paying $245 for the razor I did not want to have any issues with plating - as you noted - whether that be from wear or me accidentally dropping the razor. I do not understand the science of plating, but I tend to think of solid stainless steel being more durable.

Following are some additional photos of the razor.

View attachment 91327
View attachment 91328
View attachment 91329
View attachment 91330
View attachment 91331

Last edited:
Nice pics of an impressive shaving tool thanks . I think the razor is worth the money but i can't imagine how much it will cost in 50 years if they stop making it !

Ho and are you gonna shave with the Pils card attached on the razor ? :001_tt2:

Truly a beautiful razor... thanks for all the pics. I tend to agree re the durability of stainless, but I'm thinking polished nickel would be stunning (not that the stainless isn't)!

I have a funny feeling my razor buying problem is NEVER GONNA END!!

This is a very nice looking razor. I think I must add it to my list.

How are you gonna shave with the Pils card attached on the razor ? :001_tt2:

I treated the card with water proofing so that in 50 years my grandchildren can sell it to your grandchildren as NOS on B&B. :tongue_sm (The photos were taken before use, and it has since lost the card.)

As I think I mentioned earlier, in my opinion this razor provides a fantastic shave. As the photos show, the blade exposure and angle on the Pils is very different than the #16 it is pictured next to. Unsurprisingly, the angle follows the shape of the head/doors: the Pils is relatively flat and the Gillette is curved downward. I was a bit cautious the first couple shaves but, once I got the feel for it, the #21 that was my daily shaver ended up on the shelf. I usually do three passes, and each time with the Pils was BBS, no nicks and no irritation.

I am looking forward to getting it back from its B&B mini-tour!

My first shave with this tonight, so I don't have enough to give a good opinion. It was nice though.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I treated the card with water proofing so that in 50 years my grandchildren can sell it to your grandchildren as NOS on B&B. :tongue_sm (The photos were taken before use, and it has since lost the card.)

That's smart ! if he have the same level of RAD as I do , he will buy it.

The plated version is gorgeous.

There is no doubt that one day I will own one of these. I have not gone to work everyday and put up with all the bosses and morons I've had to work for and with for the last 40+ yrs. to deny myself a paltry $245.00 joy. SOMEDAY!

Top Bottom