What's new

Are Slants "Handed"?

I've never held a slant razor, but am intrigued by them. I've been reading posts about them, but haven't found this discussed:

All the slants I've noticed seem to angle downward to the right. Do they shave with either hand identically - or does the asymmetry make them better used in one hand, like scissors?

Thanks,
Roger

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
They may be used with either hand, but may be more effective on one side of your face than another.

Interesting question. Having my right hand dominant I had never thought of it. I have a few slants that are twisted in the opposite direction from a Merkur and most of the others. I am not sure if this would make any difference to a person who is left handed.

I am lefty, and haven't noticed any issues in using the Slant. Unless, of course, I lose focus. The Slant demands respect, no matter what hand you use.

The Slant is indeed "handed", i.e., it is not the same as a mirror image of it (just like left and right hands). From that alone, one could imagine slightly different performance when holding it with either the left or the right hand, simply because for most people, the hands have a different dexterity. This is true for any razor, but it may be amplified when using a Slant. Also, the Slant shaves differently on its left side compared to its right side (when viewed edge-on). Moving a Slant over a flat area with hairs growing identically, one will end up with shaves that are slightly different on the left side of the path compared to the right side. All this means (to me anyway) that the Slant can provide much more and finer control over a shave. One can use the more aggressive side (the right one) on those regions that can take it and reserve the gentler side (the left one) for the more sensitive ones.

Best - MM

Top Bottom