What's new

Pre-shave products

Hey guys,

What do you recommend for pre-shave products?

I've been using the white proraso anti irritation cream, and it seems to have been decent. I haven't seen a whole lot on the forum about these; do the majority of you guys use them or not? And if so, which once seem to be pretty good? I've got pretty sensitive skin also.

Hey guys,

What do you recommend for pre-shave products?

I've been using the white proraso anti irritation cream, and it seems to have been decent. I haven't seen a whole lot on the forum about these; do the majority of you guys use them or not? And if so, which once seem to be pretty good? I've got pretty sensitive skin also.

I've tried a few pre-shave oils/gels, but Truefitt and Hill Pre Shave oil is pure luxury.:thumbup: I can't recommend this enough.

Give it a try.

be seeing you.

I've tried 3 and sold 2 of them.

1) AOS Oil and Pacific, well thought of but I could see no difference in the shave.
2) Floid Sandalor. This is a keeper and, since I heard a rumour of its demise, I bought 2 more bottles.

I have a bottle of RazoRock shave gel in the mail and though it is meant to be used stand alone, I plan to try it as a pre-shave.
http://www.italianbarber.com/p420/RazoRock-100%25-Natural-Handmade-Shave-Gel-120ml/product_info.html

This is how I was able to see if a pre-shave treatment made any difference.
Without exception, a shave immediately after a shower, is better than just a shave......until I started using the Floid.
After no shower and a pre-shave treatment with the Floid, the non-shower shave was the equal of a shower-shave.

AOS and Pacific was never able to perform like that.

Floid Sandalor. This is a keeper and, since I heard a rumour of its demise, I bought 2 more bottles

yep! I too have laid in a goodly supply!

I tried Shave Secret and Pacific Oil as a pre-shave product. I'm not sure if it protected me any better but I think it inhibited my shave by "oiling down" my stubble.

I have used the Proraso "pre/post" shave cream but have since replaced it with standard Noxema. Again, I'm not sure it's doing anything for my shave. I need to stop using it for a coulple of days and then go back to see if I can tell the difference. I started with the Proraso simply because I used their cream and thought the pre-shave MUST be a good product.

I've read a few posts recently that question the value in general of elaborate pre-shave routines. I'm starting to think that makes sense.

I've tried a few pre-shave oils/gels, but Truefitt and Hill Pre Shave oil is pure luxury.:thumbup: I can't recommend this enough.

I've been using the Truefitt & Hill Pre-Shave oil for a few years now, and I have to agree, it's one of the best. It's quite a thin consistency for an oil, so doesn't clog the razor... And the smell of it is wonderful.

I recently acquired a pot of the Proraso Pre-Shave cream for sensitive skin (just to try something different), and found that pretty good too, though not quite at the level as T&H. I alternate between the two now depending on how I feel.

Another oil to consider is Anthony Logistics Pre-Shave oil. I thought is performed well, but is slightly heavier/thicker in consistency compared to T&H.

I've tried pre shave stuff and while it does work, nothing beats good prep and lather with good razor technique.

Another vote for T&H. However, my recipe also works:

1. I use a product from Jason Natural that is called Vitamin E oil, 5,000 i.u. This product is a mixture of almond, apricot, avocado, and what germ oil. I use five parts of this.
2. To that I add .5 part of EVOO, and one part each of almond oil, grape seed oil, and jojoba oil.

If you are interested here is a post on what is in T&H pre-shave oil.

Top Bottom