What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread III- BBQ 2011

I have been an enthusiastic griller for many years now, but until tonight my few attempts at low and slow barbecue have been failures. Thanks to a few tricks and tools I have picked up, I was able to turn out some exceptionally tasty pulled pork tonight!

(Sorry for the picture quality, these are all from an iPhone)

First, a quick and simple dinner from the other night. I charred some Anaheim chilies on the grill.

proxy.php

The chilies were blended with some other ingredients to make a dipping sauce, and then shrimp with a spice rub was grilled. Simple, light and yummy!

proxy.php

Now for the pulled pork. Here is the butt rubbed and ready to go with the Smokenator in place.

proxy.php

The Performer rigged for smoking.

proxy.php

This was a smaller butt (after my last few failures I wanted to keep it small). After 6 hours I resorted to the Texas crutch which finished it off perfectly. Here it is ready to pull after 7 hours.

proxy.php

Pulled and ready to eat.

proxy.php

And here is the finished sandwich with a wonderful homemade sauce. On the side we made up some brussel sprouts blanched and then pan-seared with garlic. Everything was awesome and I can't wait to try more low and slow barbecue!

proxy.php

thanks for the heads up on products guys..

im looking into it!

i have a char griller gril that i know i can add a smoker box too... that might work ok for my limited needs as well..

but the BGE looks so nice, i just dont know if i can afford one this year :crying:

thanks for the heads up on products guys..

im looking into it!

i have a char griller gril that i know i can add a smoker box too... that might work ok for my limited needs as well..

but the BGE looks so nice, i just dont know if i can afford one this year :crying:

todd, i started with an ECB (el cheapo brinkmann) and that thing has gotten me through some awesome smokes. i know it's not as nice as the eggs or kegs, but you can make some simple modifications to it and have yourself a real nice smoker. if you are an occasional smoker like i am, then it works perfect. you can get one for ~$50.

thanks my friend

ive seen people discussing the ECB ... but for the money it would take to get that i could get a side fire box for my char grill... which might be my best move for now atleast...

Here are the pork picnic roasts I smoked last night/today. Taking them to the potluck we have at Church tonight before the Priesthood session of General Conference.

todd, i started with an ECB (el cheapo brinkmann) and that thing has gotten me through some awesome smokes. i know it's not as nice as the eggs or kegs, but you can make some simple modifications to it and have yourself a real nice smoker. if you are an occasional smoker like i am, then it works perfect. you can get one for ~$50.

What are said modifications? There's an Ace Hardware a few blocks from me that sells them for about $45, and that sounds like a good place to start.

Nothing wrong with an ECB!! :thumbup1: It makes smoking more work than it probably needs to be, but it turns out well if you keep an eye on things. LONG LIVE THE ECB! :thumbup:

100_6688.jpg

Awesome photo. At this moment, I have 2 Boston butts marinating in the fridge waiting to go on my wsm. First Q of the year and I can't wait!
proxy.php

and the reveal...
proxy.php

Last edited:
Looks great Rich, what glaze are you using there?
Thanks for the nice comment, Jim. I was using my wife's homemade Sweet BBQ Sauce. If you like a sweet sauce, this one is made from honey, brown sugar, Bourbon, ketchup, lemon juice, dried mustard, and a little chili power.

That looks delicious. Great beer choices too. I LOVE Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout!

Also, how long can you maintain cooking temps with the smokenator?

And here is the finished sandwich with a wonderful homemade sauce. On the side we made up some brussel sprouts blanched and then pan-seared with garlic. Everything was awesome and I can't wait to try more low and slow barbecue!

proxy.php

I've got a friend who makes some killer bbq on an old rusting out char-griller with the smoker box. There's nothing wrong with them at all. They just tend to use more fuel (charcoal).

thanks my friend

ive seen people discussing the ECB ... but for the money it would take to get that i could get a side fire box for my char grill... which might be my best move for now atleast...

Nice looking eats Men!
Just a tip for you weber style users- a 20'' aluminum Pizza pan works a charm as a fireproof drip tray under your smokers.

Top Bottom