What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread III- BBQ 2011

I use a BGE too and LOVE it..!

To convince the wife we needed one, I had to explain to her that we needed another gas griller after just 2 years.. We've had the large BGE for 4 years now and it looks and works as good as new.. They do have a life time warranty and no moving parts, so as long as you don't break anything ceramic then you are golden..

For chicken we usually do the beer can rack thing - we've used beer, coke, rootbeer, and water.. The last time we actually just used the little rack (that holds the beer can) and stuffed it with orange wedges.. It was fantastic as usual..!

To get the crispy skin on chicken, we open the package a day or two before cooking and leave it in the fridge unwrapped - letting the skin dry out.. The day of the cook, we'll take it out of the fridge a couple hours before, to let the skin dry some more and come up to room temp.. AWESOME ! We've called the skin - chicken cookies before.. Usually the bird is skinned before it ever makes it to the table..!

BTW, you can get those beer can racks at Home Depot or Lowes for $3-$4..

I'll have to post some pix of our upcoming cooks.. We cook outside probably 4-5 times a week on average..

PS. Last weekend we made muffaletta burgers.. Diced up olive salad mixed in with the burger..
PSS. Ever tried grilled Romaine hearts, or grilled asparagus?

brucered

System Generated
i'd love a BGE, but can't justify the $ on one right now, perhaps when both kids are eating everything we make, but right now, 1 of them won't even eat a dog or burger off the grill.

as for grilled asparagus, we do it all the time. the bigger and thicker the stocks the better. onions, peppers, pineapple, asparagus are all regulars on our grill. even bananas sometimes for desert. :001_rolle

We don't have kids (except us!) but the wife never liked chicken at all until we did it on the BGE.. Don't really eat bananas, but pineapple on the grill is a fantastic dessert..!

You gotta try the Romaine hearts too.. Just split them in half length wise, spill a little italian salad dressing (or experiment!) on top- salt, pepper and grill. Excellent..!

Well I got in last night and I am headed out tomorrow, but I am getting in one cook today!

I started by firing up the small egg to roast a couple of red peppers. This is the first time I tried cooking them directly on the lump, but I really like it! They get roasted very well and do not get over cooked themselves.

proxy.php

Here they are after I scraped off the skin and you can see that they are nice and plump.

proxy.php

I got a nice bowl of chopped pepper. Tonight I am going to make a dish similar to risotto, but using the rice shaped, orzo pasta and I will stir these in at the end. I will add some grilled shrimp and scallops, so hopefully more pics later.

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Here they are after I scraped off the skin and you can see that they are nice and plump.

Glad to hear you say "scrape" off the skin. I think the worst thing you can do is "wash" of the skin after blistering them. You'd wash off half the flavor.

Roasted red peppers rule.

Glad to hear you say "scrape" off the skin. I think the worst thing you can do is "wash" of the skin after blistering them. You'd wash off half the flavor.

I agree completely! Mine never see water.

IMHO it is important to cook hot and fast so the focus is on roasting and not cooking. I do it with the lid open on my ceramic cooker.

I agree, roasted bell peppers cut in thin strips, add some chopped garlic, parsley,salt, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite side dishes. Never wash a roasted bell pepper :thumbup:

This is how I finished the meal with the roasted red peppers....

I took some nice shrimp and scallops and coated them with a mix of butter, crushed garlic and black pepper and grilled them quick, on a raised grate, at 450.

proxy.php

I added the orzo cooked like risotto and added the roasted red peppers and finished out with sauteed asparagus and homemade bread.

proxy.php

I served it with a nice Pinot Grigio that went really well.

For dessert we had some wonderful, lavender cupcakes made by my better half (sorry no pics) and I am drinking a new Islay, Single Malt that may be my new favorite. It is an 18 year old Bunnahabhain.

brucered

System Generated
This is how I finished the meal with the roasted red peppers....

...snip...

I served it with a nice Pinot Grigio that went really well.

For dessert we had some wonderful, lavender cupcakes made by my better half (sorry no pics) and I am drinking a new Islay, Single Malt that may be my new favorite. It is an 18 year old Bunnahabhain.

Looking good Bob...you do some nice work on your BGE :001_cool:

I'de be all over a meatatarian badge... No BGE for me, havent seen them in Europe, but I do have a smoker at home, and I smoked some hams this weekend past... I will start taking pics the next time I use it (this weekend) and share.

I'de be all over a meatatarian badge... No BGE for me, havent seen them in Europe, but I do have a smoker at home, and I smoked some hams this weekend past... I will start taking pics the next time I use it (this weekend) and share.

Have you seen the PETA teashirts? People who Eat Tasty Animals! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom