What's new

B&B group buy for Japanese kitchen knives**Update post 307**

So how's that anticipation coming along fellas? :tongue_sm

Since You asked :biggrin:

Are my knives here yet? Where are my knives?? What's taking so long!!! Aiiighhh!!!!!!!

Are my knives here yet? Where are my knives?? What's taking so long!!! Aiiighhh!!!!!!!

... :001_rolle (just so you know what this sort of post can induce among our members. :lol::lol::tongue_sm)

... PS: where are my knives? Are they here yet? ...

So i have an update for you guys... a little good news and a little bad news.

I'll start with the good news... the Kanemasa and Ikkaku knives are in the US and are being worked on as we speak. Also, i will be picking up the Yoshihiro knives in person this coming saturday.

Now the bad news... the US recently placed a new restriction on incoming mail that dictates that packages inbound to the US exceeding 453g (16oz), will no longer be accepted for the time being. So i will have the yoshihiro knives, but no way to send them to the US. Fear not... the worst case scenario is that i will bring them back with me when i return to the US in mid-december. In the meantime, i am looking at alternative shipping methods, or loopholes that will allow me to ship the knives sooner. I really apologize for the delay, however, as it comes from a US governmental regulation, i have no control over it.

Back to some good news for a second, when i pick up the yoshihiro knives this weekend, i will make sure to take a post lots of pictures for you guys... at the very least you should have some pictures to drool over, right?

-Jon

Thanks for the update John.
Its a regrettable situation. I appreciate your hard work getting the knives to us.

yeah... i'm really sorry... i wish there was something i could do about it, but for now there isnt. In the meantime, i will continue to research shipping methods to see if i can expedite the process a bit. I will do my best to keep you all posted.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
i will be picking up the Yoshihiro knives in person this coming saturday.

Now the bad news... US ... restriction ... no way to send them to the US. ... i have no control over it.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NNNNNoooooo!!!!!! NNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnooooooooOOOOOOOO!!!!! No! No? NNnnnnnooooo!!! NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(guess which one I ordered.)

*sigh* ... patience ... virtue ... :001_rolle

Thanks for the update.....Seems odd to me that they would not except anything over 1lb, thats a huge chunk of parcels, not to mentioned billions of dollars for the postal systems and independent couriers across the globe. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the update.....Seems odd to me that they would not except anything over 1lb, thats a huge chunk of parcels, not to mentioned billions of dollars for the postal systems and independent couriers across the globe.

it is extremely odd, was announced just a couple of days before it took effect, was only announced in Japanese on the Japanese post website (in a hard to find place), and doesnt really make sense to me... i've been on the phone all morning with shipping companies, post offices, customs brokers, lawyers, etc. I really am trying to get this worked out. This regulation does not effect large companies like toyota and sony, but is severely effects small businesses and individuals

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hey Jon. Any chance you have a business contact who has a business contract with Japan Post? Pre existing contracts seem not to be affected by the new restrictions.

Sniff. . . the Japanese steel embargo does exist. Oh well. As my father always said . . . Hunger makes the best sauce.

Mike

I've been looking into it... in the meantime, i have a company here who is registering with the post office. It just takes time. Most smaller Japanese companies are not registered with the post offices, as they use Yamato or Sagawa more often. I really am doing my best to find a quick solution to this problem... i will keep you posted.

-Jon

Is it the US that restricted the packages or is it Japan Post that has restricted it. Most other information is saying that Japan Post is cracking down on this. I haven't seen any official US announcements on this.

The United States has not imposed a restriction on receiving packages that weigh more than 1 pound. That is not the situation.

It may be that the Japanese government has imposed some weight regulations over shipping items out of Japan. Unless our president's recent trip to Japan triggered some sort of animosity toward the US, it must be some sort of bureaucratic issue from within the higher or deeper echelons of the Japanese postal system Very strange to put an embargo on exports!

gah!

Of course I ordered the Yoshihiro knives.

Thanks for the efforts to figure something out Jon. Those pics will help (though it may make the wait harder) :)

Talk about going postal, there may be a bunch of strange, finely shaven men with knives shouting in a Japanese post office. Would be an interesting site.

Last edited:
Top Bottom