What's new

Muhle R89 recommendations?

I'm considering asking for a Muhle R89 for Christmas this year as I like the looks of it and currently only run one flare tip superspeed. I searched around and only really found one review of it that claimed it was a great razor but also a bit head heavy. Does anyone have any further information or recommendations about this particular razor?

It is currently available from West Coast Shaving for $43.

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=336

Thanks!

I've heard that there are two versions. Old and new. The old version is highly aggressive. I would check directly with West Coast and inquire if this is true and which one he is selling.

I've heard that there are two versions. Old and new. The old version is highly aggressive. I would check directly with West Coast and inquire if this is true and which one he is selling.

yes, there have been other threads stating that the old head was v.aggro. The new one is not at all.
the Muhle is noted for being top heavy but there is a justifiably loyal user base for the new head, including myself.
Edwin Jagger uses the same head (which is believed to be OEM'ed by Merkur) on a handle that weighs more, looks great, and is less expensive.

I believe WCS is selling the new 2009 version. I had the R41 which is open comb.
Excellent shaver. Both razors are beautiful but light.

The blade fit and the overall quality of the R89 is excellent. The new R89 is a little more aggressive than a Gillette Super Speed or Tech. FWIW, my Gillettes don't get used any more. I really like my R89.

You can't go wrong with either the new R-41 or R-89; the quality of both the razor itself as well as the shave it provides is superb.

These are the two razors that ended my RAD; together with my (cheap) Lord they made all my other razors just collecting dust.

All of these three razors have in common that they have a rather light handle with a relative heavy head; for me that is the best way to gain perfect control over my shave. YMMV

V

VR6ofpain

I just picked up one of these R89's from WCS the other day. It shaves like a dream. Super smooth. Don't let the "too light weight" stuff worry you, the balance of this razor is excellent. I have been using it for a week and love it.

An amazing deal at $43. The build quality seems higher than anything else I have seen so far.

Here was the last SOTD photo I took of it:
proxy.php

V

VR6ofpain

What is interesting is I always thought the DE89 had the same head. Looks like the bottom is a little different. Deeper cut by EJ, when compared to my photo in the previous response.

DE89L
proxy.php

Wow Gabe,

This is interesting, I have a Muehle R89 that looks exatly like yours in post #8, and I just checked the head on it and it looks just like your EJ in post 9, which has the deeper cut underside. I wonder what the story is here. I have had mine for a while, and actually bought it from someone here who had it for a while and was purchased directly from Muehle.

Interesting...

J.

V

VR6ofpain

So you are saying you have a Muhle with the EJ style head? That is interesting. For what it is worth the EJ photo was taken from the web, while the Muhle photo is my personal razor purchased just over a week ago from WCS.

Muhle and Jagger heads are the same, it just depends on when they were made. When the new head came out in January there was a lot of confusion with the Parker head which came out at the same time. After a month or so Edwin Jagger redesigned the head again to make it easier to clean and to distinguish it from the Parker. Although it was redesigned it still shaves the same and has the same workmanship. The newer one is the smoother one without the well. If you go to either The English Shaving Company or the Muhle websites they have close-ups of the newest heads.

The previous post was in regards to the closed come razors. I think the open comb Muhle still uses a re-chromed Merkur head.

Muhle and Jagger heads are the same, it just depends on when they were made. When the new head came out in January there was a lot of confusion with the Parker head which came out at the same time. After a month or so Edwin Jagger redesigned the head again to make it easier to clean and to distinguish it from the Parker. Although it was redesigned it still shaves the same and has the same workmanship. The newer one is the smoother one without the well. If you go to either The English Shaving Company or the Muhle websites they have close-ups of the newest heads.

Good info. thanks.

J.

V

VR6ofpain

After a month or so Edwin Jagger redesigned the head again to make it easier to clean and to distinguish it from the Parker.
I personally like the newer design on mine (post #8) more. I agree it does appear that the older design would be harder to clean.

I have the old and new versions. The old version is uber aggressive and really not worth the trouble. The new version is a solid performer that is worth the price.

Top Bottom