What's new

The Goods! Straight Razor Hobbyist Gallery

I'll tell you what happens to an edge that isn't heat treated properly. If you put too much pressure on the edge while honing, it will fold over. You know those wire edges we talk about so much. Well, imagine that, but you can feel it with your finger and see it with the naked eye.

That is the results off a 220 stone. Yes it will eventually take an edge (if your patient and skilled enough). But good luck keeping that edge for more than half a shave. The steel is steel, it polishes nicely and very very quickly. But its not going to hold an edge for very long.
Lead can take an edge too, and Yes, it can cut you.(dont ask)
However, won't shave worth a darn.
Same with aluminum.

Titanium might be worth exploring, but too expensive, and sheffield steel works plenty good for me.

Lead can take an edge too, and Yes, it can cut you.(dont ask)
However, won't shave worth a darn.
Same with aluminum.

Titanium might be worth exploring, but too expensive, and sheffield steel works plenty good for me.

Is this cut you got from lead due to a ragged edge on a piece of lead that was cut, or were you actually trying to put an edge on some lead? Either way inquiring minds want to know!!!!

One time I got a paper cut.....

:rolleyes:

Were you conducting evil experiments with paper mache?

If so please elaborate :w00t:.

Oh, and does a cardboard cut count as a paper cut? Because if so, I think cardboard straights may have a market.

Oh, and does a cardboard cut count as a paper cut? Because if so, I think cardboard straights may have a market.

It does, let us know when you have your first working proto. They may end up being cheaper than those German brand
Chinese knockoffs going around.

Last edited:
Latest result:

I was going for a kind of festonne' worked back effect, but it didn't quite materialize. I now call it the Feng Shui back :wink:.

I also could not drill out the tang hole on this razor. Particularly hard specimen, or something? Anyhow, that required me to pin it the ol' fashioned way. Beewing sappelle under acrylic (this may be my fave wood). Some air bubble inclusions in the wood/acrylic are consternating, but what are ya gonna do sometimes?

French point, ubiquitous Seraphim thumbnotch, red acrylic wedge spacer.

I didn't know you could pin the old fashioned way.... :tongue_sm
I love the work on the tang, any pictures of it out of the scales?

Nice Hunter & Son Sheffield wedge.

I vandalized it with a new thumbnotch, a Spanish point and mother of pearluminum scales with clear wedge.

Still needs honing...

Looks nice in the sun!

Modified Eishartung (no name) stainless Solingen razor, with Monrovian square point, hollowed heel, worked back.

Scales are mother in law of pearl with aluminum liners and acrylic overlay.

Yes I like the spinework you do, but from the looks of it, you can still see the grind marks. Have you ever thought about polishing them to a mirror finish?

Yes I like the spinework you do, but from the looks of it, you can still see the grind marks. Have you ever thought about polishing them to a mirror finish?

Thanks.

Removing grind marks is not as easy as just running a polisher across them. You have to do a complete progression of sanding, starting at say 320, 400, 600, 1200.....on and on until you get to your finishing polish. If you have ever done any razor restoration you will know how remarkable HARD razor steel is. It's a real bear to sand. Mirror finishes require alot of patience, hard work, sweat, swearing, more hard work, more swearing....:frown:

So, no I won't go for a mirror polish on the spinework, although it would be SWEET. I will however run a polisher across there (I did not do that yet to that last Eishartung razor), which at least shines up the grind marks a bit.

Not sure what I may be selling.

I think this blade actually fits those scales better. The Hunter is a slimmer blade than this one.

Empire Razor, wedge grind. Came with thumbnotch original from the factory!:smile: No mods to the razor, just refinished it. Very little hone wear.

A flurry of activity at the Seraphim dungeon of doom:

Freaky Freddie Frameback (blade only shown somewhere previously...), now scaled in Paduak with orange acrylic spacer.

Georgeous, as always. There is something majestic about a sweeping Sheffield blade, isn' there.

Love that you are able to work with MOP like this. I bet there is no way a photo can do the MOP true justice.

Busy, busy, busy....

Fernback DA with JumbJimps, thumbnotch, I Ching point, and pinned lacewood over black acrylic scales with red spacer.

Top Bottom