What's new

Your thoughts on which straight

Over the past few days, I had a couple of visits to some out of the way antique shops around my house. These trips have lest me with a couple of very servicable gillettes and 3 straights. I have yet to pull the trigger on shaving with a straight, but I am on that path.

I suppose I could just buy new and save myself the trouble, but where's the fun in that? I could also keep mucking around and end up with 20 to choose from. I guess my point is: I COULD have any one of them honed up and learn with it. I am just looking to get some opinions on which of the three would be your recommendation. I would just go with all 3, but I would like to try to work out honing for myself....at some point.

I have a fair bit of metal cleanup experience. My former hobby was vintage motorcycle restoration. So, I don't think any of them are too far from looking great.

I would get at least the Genco professionally sharpened since they are known to be excellent shavers and learn to shave with the properly honed blade(s). Then you can eventually practice your own honing with the other one or two blades that you have and compare it to the professionally sharpened blade.

I'd send out the big one or the Genco too. I think the largest one might be the bigger honing challenge. The L.West 1/4 hollow should be the easiest to learn on.

i will descent on this one (although that genco is very nice). i think that the stiffer grinds are better for beginner straight shavers. the thin full hollows can be a bit daunting due to the chatter and lack of heft. the stiffer grinds are easier to 'get going' through the stubble.

again- my 2 cents! although, with those 3 razors, you dont have a bad option. nice find!

cheers!
ryan

The funny thing is that the Genco was the cheapest of the lot. I got the bottom 2 at the same time. The L. West was marked $8 and the Genco $5, and I told the guy I'd give him $10 for both.

I'll be perfectly honest, I have been handling them all to see which I feel more comfortable with. I think I will end up getting the Genco and the L. West honed up. I just think the blade width on the top one may be a bit advanced for me. I have a couple of no-scale jobs I can practice my honing skills on. Now...any recommendations on where to send them off to?

Genco was the most mass produced razor in the United States. But due to all the talk around town they are usually not found at such a bargain price. Out of the three razors that are very nice and exceptional for the price, that Genco should out shave the bunch.

Glen

I got the genco honed up locally by a 3rd generation barber's dad. I would have sent it out to Lynn, but impatience got the better of me. I get my hair cut there in the winter, so he took it to his "pops" to make it ready for me....for free no less.

The shave:
I'll save you the prep, as it is the same thing I do every time, save for equipment changes. Right side cheek goes smooth. Very smooth. Left side cheek goes o.k., one teeny nick. The chin goes good, but I learn not to stop moving by virtue of a little red line about 1/4" long. not bad. The stash area was dicey, but taking my time I executed flawlessly.* To the neck!

This is where I got nervous.

I head downstairs and pour a glass of Basil Haydens on the rocks. 2 sips and I had my nerve back. My WTG on my neck runs a bit odd(ears to apple), so, I re-wet and relathered and went directly to the n-s pass. I managed to shave my whole neck with zero nicks. Amazing.* I didn't get a BBS by any means, but certainly a very good shave for a 1 passer. I did notice with the straight you can go target 1 or 2 hairs specifically that you missed. A very precise feeling. I gotta say, once you get past the "I have an impossibly sharp blade right next to an artery, this is crazy" feeling, it's an wonderful experience.

Now the problem. I had "pops" strop the thing for me. I will most likely want to repeat this shave tomorrow and I have no strop to speak of. It also appears that Tony Miller is out of stock on his beginner latigo strops. I have been practicing and getting better, but I hate to drop a bunch of cash on a top end strop I may well ruin. Any Suggestions?

Additionally, thank you all for the recommendations on the genco, it really is nice. I will probably get the rest honed, or try honing for myself.

* all reference to flawless execution or amazing results are all relative and in no way to be considered mastery of even the most basic of techniques.

eh as long as the razor is sharp there is no need for the booze. Sounds counter intuitive but true. Well the booze might make a good aftershave :eek: So I would get all 3 honed up and get that crappy rusted one you see there that you can get for 2 dollars to practice honing on. Paying a honemiester is cheap so why not. And while the genco has the rep the others are in better shape. I would give give those a shot. I am usually pleasantly surprised.

Oh wait there was a question there. Um well get the heirloom latigo or horsehide (what I have) strop and get the practice strop. Mine was not flat so I had to do the use stiff lather and then pummice it flat thing and then use a marble rolling pin or glass bottle to press it smooth thing and it worked fine. Use that one until you haven't nicked it for a month. You will still end up nicking strops when you make a mistake cause I have been stropping for 3 years and I just nicked mine with a shallow one but it will be a rare thing.

I just ordered one moments ago. I read the thread that cash wouldn't be due on the Le Grelot until march. That gives me plenty of time to replenish the money in the "wife has no idea about" fund.

I suppose the trick now is waiting for it to get here.

Top Bottom