What's new

Your thoughts about Eclipse Red Ring

A magnificent piece of engineering for sure that inspired lots of also great results that came (much) after it:

• Game Changer - similar loading posts
  • R41 - closed/open comb
  • Ascension - spring mechanism to make it “adjustable”
  • Lambda Athena - to me the baseplate is very similar and so is the shave.
Just to name a few.

Cheers,

Guido

This thread needs pics!

proxy.php

They certainly combined the best designs from the era.
1920s Velvet x Gillette/Rotbart RFB x Darwin x Apollo? :drool:

proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
What year were these introduced? I've heard 1933 but wondered if it was earlier.

Last edited:
What year were these introduced? I've heard 1933 but wondered if it was earlier.

The patent was granted in late 1932, so 1933 is a good estimate. Unless someone has a patent pending stamped version?
You can view the Eclipse patent and drawings on EPO.
Early ones are silver plated, later ones don't have the cap logo, I think?

Velvet, I have Lix from England whose design is identical but weigh over 100g and has a mysterious hole in the base plate
Very cool, thanks for posting! Maybe a nice factory second?
Velvet was Woolworths own brand shaving equipment, wonder how many other brands sold this Birmingham classic?

They're aggressive apparently, I'm still trying to find one (ditto red ring)
Can confirm that the Velvet Mark I is an aggressive beast! Then there's the Kelson - which is basically a bakelite version. Also surprisingly aggressive.

IMG_20240413_085719724.jpg

Talking about Velvet, I have Lix from England whose design is identical
Never seen one of these! Very cool 😎 Maybe I should drill a hole through the Kelson baseplate 😂

But so as not to totally hijack the thread - I really like the Eclipse Red Ring. I can see why some find it too mild but it's undoubtedly one of the smoothest razors I own. And if you dial back the 'micrometer adjustment' a touch I find I can get a great shave. Definitely a fan!

I love my RedRings! I found that placing 3mm o-rings on the posts, under the blade, gave more adjustability(e.g., resistance against the top cap gave me 3 genuine, held in place, adjustments, approaching 4, consistently) and a touch more "aggression".

For better or worse, the Red Ring highlights the difference between the thicker vintage DEs and todays offerings.

I think mine shaves great open 1 to 1.5. Need to keep the correct angle but does a great job and they look great. The o-rings for more adjustment is something I may try, that seems like a good idea to get more usable adjustment.

Top Bottom