What's new

Your Tea Pot selections

Legion

Staff member
That's a beauty, what's the brand?
It says Royal Nally Ware. Not a brand I am familiar with, but I’d guess 30’s, 40’s?

IMG_7657.jpeg

Edit; They were apparently quite big in Australia.

It says Royal Nally Ware. Not a brand I am familiar with, but I’d guess 30’s, 40’s?

View attachment 1746113

Edit; They were apparently quite big in Australia.

Cool, I didn't realise at first it was 100% bakelite. The Powerhouse/MAAS has a wide collection and is a good resource.

Legion

Staff member
I've been looking at tea pots (mostly due to this thread). I swear, almost every one I liked is in the $120-300 range.
I don't know how it is in the US, but in Australian thrift stores it is vintage teapots as far as the eye can see. Most tea drinkers use teabags these days, rather than a pot and loose leaf. Grandmas teapot is often the first thing to go to charity.

Between my wife and myself we seem to have accumulated a collection over the years, and they are all vintage or antique.

Depending on what style you like, asian grocery stores usually have new teapots for affordable prices.

I don't know how it is in the US, but in Australian thrift stores it is vintage teapots as far as the eye can see. Most tea drinkers use teabags these days, rather than a pot and loose leaf. Grandmas teapot is often the first thing to go to charity.

Between my wife and myself we seem to have accumulated a collection over the years, and they are all vintage or antique.
Same thing here in the US. Teapots and any china, more of them in thrift stores than you can believe. It's all gone out of fashion, so you can get really good stuff cheap.

My wife collects and uses antique sugar bowls, and it's a really inexpensive hobby these days.

Speaking of grandma teapots, I was going through some storage boxes the other day and found a set that belonged to one of my grandmothers. Needs a good dust and polish, but it’s a pretty cool flying saucer shape.

View attachment 1747099
For making tarnished silver shiny, I recommend the aluminium foil, bi-carb soda and hot water method, it does't remove the plating like manual polishing does, it reverses the chemical reaction that causes tarnishing.

Legion

Staff member
For making tarnished silver shiny, I recommend the aluminium foil, bi-carb soda and hot water method, it does't remove the plating like manual polishing does, it reverses the chemical reaction that causes tarnishing.
I’ll Google it. If I ever get the energy to polish them I’ll probably give the whole thing a coat of Renaissance wax so I don’t need to again

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
They are made from a Special Red Clay found only in Staffordshire. They are not stove top teapots.
Thanks. I'm looking at stovetop pots at the moment. But I may look for a Brown Betty for actual steeping. Haven't decided if I want clay or porcelain for steeping; probably need both for different teas, I think.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks. I'm looking at stovetop pots at the moment. But I may look for a Brown Betty for actual steeping. Haven't decided if I want clay or porcelain for steeping; probably need both for different teas, I think.
If you are looking for stove top you are really looking for a kettle rather than a teapot.

If you are seeking out a Japanese cast iron one the term you need to search for is tetsubin. A steeping pot is called a Tetsukyusu. It gets confusing, as most sellers don't seem to know the distinction, but a Tetsukyusu has an enamel glaze on the inside, so is unsuitable for putting on the heat to boil the water.

captp

If you are looking for stove top you are really looking for a kettle rather than a teapot.

If you are seeking out a Japanese cast iron one the term you need to search for is tetsubin. A steeping pot is called a Tetsukyusu. It gets confusing, as most sellers don't seem to know the distinction, but a Tetsukyusu has an enamel glaze on the inside, so is unsuitable for putting on the heat to boil the water.
Thanks. It's all so confusing to me. I'll eventually get all this data in my little peabrain.

captp

I mentioned somewhere else that my time in China taught me that most serious tea drinkers who do use the red clay pots designate specific pots for different types of tea and would never put Oolong in their Pu-erh pot and vice versa.
I had heard that, Phil.
Learning a lot from Yunnan Sourcing; they have a Youtube channel. If only the guy (one of the owners) wasn't quite so bland.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had heard that, Phil.
Learning a lot from Yunnan Sourcing; they have a Youtube channel. If only the guy (one of the owners) wasn't quite so bland.
A friend of mine who originally hailed from Wisconsin married a woman in Xiamen, Fujian Province, who was a tea dealer. She could go on for hours about different teas, how each is unique, and how they are prepared and never bore you.

Top Bottom