What's new

Your Style

Hey guys just wondering what styles of clothes you wear. I personally like classic preppy styles like Polo Ralph Lauren and such. I also tuck my shirts in and I like to wear Sperry Top-Siders and I wear sportcoats/ jackets(Yes funny enough I am 17 lol ,and I still manage to get the classiest/prettiest girls in my school, let me remind you Im in High School):biggrin: Oh and for any of older guys could you recommend some good styles or companys with good clothing
-Ish

Hey guys just wondering what styles of clothes you wear. I personally like classic preppy styles like Polo Ralph Lauren and such. I also tuck my shirts in and I like to wear Sperry Top-Siders and I wear sportcoats/ jackets(Yes funny enough I am 17 lol ,and I still manage to get the classiest/prettiest girls in my school, let me remind you Im in High School):biggrin: Oh and for any of older guys could you recommend some good styles or companys with good clothing
-Ish

Its absolutely true when ZZ Top says "Every Girl's Crazy 'bout a Sharp-Dressed Man."

You're off to a good start with your wardrobe. I'm also into a Ralph Lauren phase right now. (Before October, I was all Dockers.) I bought into the Chaps line, only because they were on sale at the store where I work, and it was the most reasonably priced designer label there. Got 3 pants, 5 shirts, 3 sweaters, and a zip-up jacket all for about $180 ... I wish I could go Polo, but they don't carry that line at my store. Going out to get them at the mall would be too expensive at this time, so my dress is all Chaps for now, but I will probably blend in some Polo products over the next year or so.

No matter what designer label you choose, be consistent and congruent. Don't wear a Tommy Hilfiger shirt with Calvin Klein pants and a Ralph Lauren sweater ... go for Tommy/Tommy/Tommy or Calvin/Calvin/Calvin or Ralph/Ralph/Ralph.

Other than that ... just follow a few simple rules:

Make sure your clothes fit properly. Know what size to buy, and take it to a tailor and get those custom alterations done if needed. Its well worth an extra $5 or so, and will really kick up your wardrobe style an extra notch.

Make sure your clothes are always clean and in good repair. Learn how to do your own laundry. Know how to iron a shirt and pants. Have the tools and technique to sew on a button and hem-up a pair of pants.

You can pick up some incredible bargains at the Goodwill store. I went there looking for some cheap pants to wear to work. I came out with two more pairs of Dockers pants at $4 each that were nicer than anything I had at home. So for a while, I was dressed in Goodwill gear whenever I went out to the club for meeting women. And I got compliments on it!

Scan the newspapers and watch for sales. Stick to solid colors and classic patterns that never go out of style. Don't wear anything that has the name of a rock-band, sports team, or advertises a product (Che Guevara shirts are the one exception to this rule.)

Last edited:
Its absolutely true when ZZ Top says "Every Girl's Crazy 'bout a Sharp-Dressed Man."

No matter what designer label you choose, be consistent and congruent. Don't wear a Tommy Hilfiger shirt with Calvin Klein pants and a Ralph Lauren sweater ... go for Tommy/Tommy/Tommy or Calvin/Calvin/Calvin or Ralph/Ralph/Ralph.

Make sure your clothes fit properly. Know what size to buy, and take it to a tailor and get those custom alterations done if needed. Its well worth an extra $5 or so, and will really kick up your wardrobe style an extra notch.

You can pick up some incredible bargains at the Goodwill store. I went there looking for some cheap pants to wear to work. I came out with two more pairs of Dockers pants at $4 each that were nicer than anything I had at home. So for a while, I was dressed in Goodwill gear whenever I went out to the club for meeting women. And I got compliments on it!

Got a few good points. Especially the Goodwill Statement. I graduated from High shool in 08. Believe the Goodwill Clubbing outfits. They work.

Other than that, No matter how gay it sounds, match. Match shoes to clothing, usually your jacket. Wear fedoras when they match. Wear colors that accent your hair color and eyes. (i.e. don't wear bright red if you have bright blue eyes) Stick with complimentary colors and the ladies will swoon.
Well.... Not always. But you can always pull of getting your choice.

Good luck to you my friend.
Seth.

-Ish

+1 Polo, J. Crew(personal fav), Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers(2nd fav), you name it. Love them all. Born and raised a preppy:lol: (I take pride in the fact that my university is part of the "Preppy Handbook":lol::lol:

Last edited:
Wear cool hats. That means everything from vintage style fedoras and such to a beatup straw cowboy hat covered in stickers from punk bands (trust me on that one :wink:).

Don't be afraid of doing something silly. The silly and strange bits are the best part of people.

All depends on cost. I wear suits 5Xper week. You can go to Brooks Brothers and spend alot of cash (or Seville Row) or you can go to Macy's or Pennys and get great suits for a fraction of the cost.

Dont spend boatloads on ties...there are a TON of great looking ties at a fraction as well. High end stores like "The Knot" and others in Malls are nice, but $80 for a tie is way over most budgets...save that for your Penhaligon's AS!

Shoes I typically spend some quality coin on...because its difficult to take a nice suit and put yourself in crappy loafers...just doesnt' look right.

All depends on cost. I wear suits 5Xper week. You can go to Brooks Brothers and spend alot of cash (or Seville Row) or you can go to Macy's or Pennys and get great suits for a fraction of the cost.

Dont spend boatloads on ties...there are a TON of great looking ties at a fraction as well. High end stores like "The Knot" and others in Malls are nice, but $80 for a tie is way over most budgets...save that for your Penhaligon's AS!

Shoes I typically spend some quality coin on...because its difficult to take a nice suit and put yourself in crappy loafers...just doesnt' look right.

+1 on the shoes. Whenever I buy a new pair of shoes, I immediately take them over to the belt section (if they have one) and match them. Matched shoes and belts are something that, while most people won't notice if they match, if they don't, it is like a subconscious red flag.

Pretty basic for me. During the week I wear starched Cinch brand jeans and Cinch brand long sleeve shirts or Polo long sleeve shirts. Since I am a cowboy boot-maker/apprentice, I wear handmade cowboys boots usually in bullhide or ostrich. Pretty much everyday.

On Sundays for church, it's usually khaki slacks of some kind, white dress shirt, sport coat, and usually handmade boots or Florshiem shoes.

DL

I work in a casual setting, so lots of Khakis (Bill's Khakis are my favorites), Tommy Bahama shirts, but paired with Alden lace-ups. You can dress casual and still come off like a gentleman providing you wear the right shoes. :biggrin:

I also wear a bit of athletic gear, mostly Ibex wool, classic stuff.

Whatever you wear, make sure it fits correctly. I just picked up very nice suit at Express, and it looked good off the rack. Got it tailored and now it looks Twice as nice and is a small amount of coin for a lot more class.

+1 Polo, J. Crew(personal fav), Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers(2nd fav), you name it. Love them all. Born and raised a preppy:lol: (I take pride in the fact that my university is part of the "Preppy Handbook":lol::lol:

Yeah I would say that you pretty much got them all. I love to find Great company's at Goodwill stores. (especially Lacoste they have some great polos) But I cant every seem to find sales for J. crew. Any idea where i can get good prices for their clothing??

Yeah I found some great Sportcoats at my local goodwill store. One actually had suede patches on the elbows! Your right its a great way to get compliments without burning a hole in your pocket. But question What is the rule on matching sport coats/jackets to an outfit??

Yeah I would say that you pretty much got them all. I love to find Great company's at Goodwill stores. (especially Lacoste they have some great polos) But I cant every seem to find sales for J. crew. Any idea where i can get good prices for their clothing??

I usually buy most of their stuff either at the retail stores or the Prime Outlet locations. The outlets are the best place to find good deals. You just have to find one near you. I've found some decent stuff on E-Bay too. Mostly accessories: shoes, belts, etc.

I only wear suits when meeting with clients. Mainly Brooks Brothers and Hart Schaffner Marx suits. I also have other brands that escape me at this time. Evenings out with the girlfriend, I wear sport coats and slacks. All other times, I wear levis and cowboy boots.

J Crew has sales ALL the time! In store and online. Sign up for their online newsletter, and you'll get notices of when they're having sales.

I'm into the traditional designer jeans and long sleeve collar shirt with a sweater on colder days. I used to wear turtle necks exclusively. Can't forget the Birkenstocks and sock matching scarf.... :smile:

Three Words: Custom Pinpoint Oxford. Absolutely the nicest shirt I've come across. I'm skinny though, so custom dress shirts are a must for me. Other than that I've got a fairly eclectic mix of stuff (both thrift finds and gifts). I'm a college student and bike to class a lot so you'll mostly catch me in jeans and a t-shirt or light sweater depending on the weather. I'd also recommend hats, I've been on the hunt for a nice fedora for a while now, I'll probably just bite the bullet and get myself a nice Tilley Fedora. It's a little pricey, but I think it's worth it to complete my look and set me apart a bit.

Man I feel like a looser.:rolleyes: Jeans, a plain t-shirt, rainbow flip flops and I'm good to go. The flip flops probably cost more than the jeans and the shirt.:biggrin:

Top Bottom