What's new

Your favorite vintage safety razor...

I'd have to say my President right now, though I like the Super Adjustable when I feel like using something longer.

Like Rich, I seem to prefer the one I'm currently using, although they are all English. Right now that is a Gillette #58 with a Euro Gillette blade. Hard to decide, but the #16 is the overall leader for me (until something better comes along).

Can you post side by side pics of the #58 and #16? I'm curious about the differences between the two. Thanks!

Dan, I don't have my light box set up to take decent photos of my razors right now. There maybe some pix in the collectors corner of a #58 and #16. I'm positive there are threads with photos of the #16, not so sure about the #58. The #16 looks like the English Barber pole Aristocrat #66 except the bottom plate is flat while the #66 has the diamond shaped plate. The #58 looks like a double ring HD Rocket with a President handle, except the TTO has two rings and a closed bottom like the #66, and of course the gap.

Just got a minty 1920 Gillette Big Fellow. Shaved with it yesterday and I loved the weight and the balance. The long handle allows you to easily let the weight of the razor do the work at the proper angle.

Jimmy

Dan, I don't have my light box set up to take decent photos of my razors right now. There maybe some pix in the collectors corner of a #58 and #16. I'm positive there are threads with photos of the #16, not so sure about the #58. The #16 looks like the English Barber pole Aristocrat #66 except the bottom plate is flat while the #66 has the diamond shaped plate. The #58 looks like a double ring HD Rocket with a President handle, except the TTO has two rings and a closed bottom like the #66, and of course the gap.

Thanks John. I'm hoping to see side by side pics to do a visual comparison. I'm looking to buy a British razor (I have a 40s rocket, but really don't like the thinner handle on that model). I want one to shave with, so I'm not overly concerned with handle design. As such if I can find a Brit that has the same head geometry, weight and overall dimensions of a #66 or #16, without the price tag that those razors carry, I'll be quite happy. It looks to me like a #58 or HD Rocket may fit the bill.

if I can find a Brit that has the same head geometry, weight and overall dimensions of a #66 or #16, without the price tag that those razors carry, I'll be quite happy. It looks to me like a #58 or HD Rocket may fit the bill.

All the English razors are selling at a pretty good premium right now - I saw a #58 get a pretty good price on ebay no too long ago. That being said, you've probably got a better chance to get an "under the radar" deal on one of the razors you mentioned because they don't have that barber pole handle that grabs everyone's attention.

Indeed, the English Gillette's are now in unbelievable demand which results in increases pricewise. But, if one is willing to spend the time and dig in different country's than the US, he may find something under the radar or in a lot.
Dan, I have to say that, for me, the English Gillette's are some of the best razors on the planet.
However, keep in mind that fully 70% of the shave is the blade, not the razor. My affection for the Brit's may be the blade I'm using just as much as the razor.
Right now, the #58 with a Euro-Gillette is really, really good.
But the best week of shaves I've had from any DE was a long handled Edwin Jagger three piece Merkur head and Feather. BBS for six days in a row. Now, that is hard to beat.

My Bostonians without a doubt. Shaves like a dream.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom