What's new

Your favorite vintage safety razor...

I'm not sure of my favorite yet because I have several more to try out. So far I have really enjoyed the '53 SS and the Ranger Tech. Both are very fine razors that provided me with consistently good shaves. Right now I am doing a week with the Schick Krona and damn, this thing is growing on me.

My favorite is the Late 40's SuperSpeed also. I love shaving with it through the week (very comfortable). My Dad loves his also.

I use my Futur when I want to be BBS

Here's one​

full

Or this one-

or the old standby-
full

Last edited by a moderator:
... Right now I am doing a week with the Schick Krona and damn, this thing is growing on me.

Excellent to hear. I just spent a weekend with my family and dug an old Schick Krona out of my Dad's old things. I've only been using a DE for about 1.5 months now, and only own a Merkur HD. Hopefully the Krona works well for me too, after I give it a quick clean-up.

My favorite is my early '70s era Schick "International Silver" injector, followed closely by a '40s thick-handled Gillette Tech.

I have a modest but diverse collection of vintage Gillette razors. The only ones that gave me a close shave were the Slim and Fat Boy adjustables set at "9", until I bought a Gillette "New" model open comb. For me this razor shaves on par with my Merkur Slant and Futur, and is now my favorite vintage. Wanting to try an open comb, I decided on the "New" after reading in the posts that the Gillette "Old Style" and the Merkur Open Comb were overly mild shavers due to the narrow blade gap. Anyway, I was interested in reading what you other vintage users considered as your favorites. Thanks.

Great post!

My "Go To" razor has consistently been a late 40's SuperSpeed so I would definitely call it my favorite. I rotate in the Slim and Fatboy adjustables to mix things up but I always go back to the SuperSpeed when trying anything new (blade, soap/cream, shaving passes or technique change). I like the adjustables, but I love the SS.

Like you, I got the hunkering to try an open comb and recently picked up a 30's NEW based on a lof of threads I read here and in the SMF forum about blade gap. I am enjoying this razor quite a bit. Its gives me shaves that are as good as the SuperSpeed and I had no learning curve with this razor - it just worked. I had to make adjustments when I used the adjustables (no pun intended). Also the head on the NEW is so "thin" that it easily gets areas under my nose that are much more challenging with every other razor I've used.

There will always be a place in my heart for the SuperSpeed but I'm liking the 30's NEW quite a bit.

Other items on my wish list are:
  • Trying out a Tech. Why? Just because. They are cheap, cheap, cheap and easy to find in excellent condition. First thing I'll do is pop a Feather in it based on many forum recommendations. This is something I did NOT do with the NEW.
  • I would love ot get a more "upscale" NEW someday, one of the fancier styles (Bostonian's, etc) but they tend to fetch a fair collector's price on "the Bay".
  • I want to try a modern razor some day so at some point I'll check out a Merkur but that is a ways off - I'm having too much fun with the older Gillettes.

Thanks to you all for replying...what an interesting diversity of favorites! We're fortunate that so many of these fine vintage razors are still available. It's a tribute to their design and manufacture that, after 40-80 years or so, they are still favored by us DE users.

"
"I had no learning curve with this razor - it just worked. "

+1

"First thing I'll do is pop a Feather in it based on many forum recommendations. This is something I did NOT do with the NEW."

Feather works great in the NEW!

"I would love to get a more "upscale" NEW someday, one of the fancier styles (Bostonian's, etc) but they tend to fetch a fair collector's price on "the Bay."

Keep your eyes open. There are still good deals to be had on these razors!

Norm :boat:

There are many vintage safety razors, that I haven't tried yet, but this far 40's SS is The Razor for me, as well. Excellent shaver.

I have a modest collection of Gillettes but the 1947 superspeed is my favorite. The shave is great, but the one I have is in MINT condition and looking at is beauty definitely affects my decision over the other superspeed models I own.

I also prefer the slim the fatboy. If I want something heavier I use the futur (don't own a vision).

Someone mentioned a Tech for being easy to maneuver in tricky spots. I agree, sometimes I'll pull it out to get a closer shave under my nose. I have never tried a "new"

Rocket, rocket, and... Rocket! Nothing IMHO can match the combinaton of weight and smoothness afforded by the UK Rocket family. And for sheer looks it has to be the 16, 66 or President for me.

s

I have a modest collection of Gillettes but the 1947 superspeed is my favorite. The shave is great, but the one I have is in MINT condition and looking at is beauty definitely affects my decision over the other superspeed models I own.

I also prefer the slim the fatboy. If I want something heavier I use the futur (don't own a vision).

Someone mentioned a Tech for being easy to maneuver in tricky spots. I agree, sometimes I'll pull it out to get a closer shave under my nose. I have never tried a "new"

Wow... Can i speak (write) English... "looking as is... looking at it's beauty"
"prefer the slim the fatboy" What is that??? "prefer the slim over the fatboy."

I now have a NEW courtesy of a member here... Shaves great!!! I'm changing my mind and now am searching for open comb razors. If you have one you want to off load, please let me know.

Rob

I seem to have acquired most of the common Gillettes (except a fatboy) and really, they all do a credible job of shaving. I tend to favor the knack, the early 30's New, the 48-50 Aristocrat, and the mid-60's SS. I also use the black handled adjustable and slims from time to time. All shave a little different from the others, but they're quite nice. Derby's and Red-packs work very well in all these.

-- John Gehman

Hello there,

I’ve enjoyed this posting very much and the beautiful razors.

I’m currently shaving with a cheap Wilkinson Sword DE and want to get back to basics and purchase an antique comb razor. The general opinion seems to be that a New (all capitals?) is a good razor.

Looking through eBay.co.uk I have found a razor I quite like, made in England (I’m English so that’s a positive to me) - I would like to know though if anyone has one of these and what they think of the shave?

The seller is saying that effectively it is a Gillette New but sold under the Rubie banner – is that true? I would like to have something a bit different. Is the head the right shape for a New; it looks like it has the gap but I am not 100% sure if I’m looking for the right thing?

What do you think Rubie owners and non-owners out there?

I will try and post the pictures, but just in case it doesn’t work the eBay code is 320111553181 ; you can even buy the blades 280113628030.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Rubie-Gi...ryZ31764QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-Rubie-Razor...goryZ887QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jack (A novice)

Like Rich, I seem to prefer the one I'm currently using, although they are all English. Right now that is a Gillette #58 with a Euro Gillette blade. Hard to decide, but the #16 is the overall leader for me (until something better comes along).

#16 is my favorite for now, but the open comb NEW may supplant it. That thing is just plain great. And I have something similar coming in soon, that may top that, I think.

-Mo

Top Bottom