What's new

Your favorite Scotch region?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Islay's Laphraoig and Lagavulin as well the Island malts of Talisker and HP...are my all time favs.

Talisker isn't considered an Islay, because it isn't. Islays are made on the island of Islay. Talisker's made on Skye.

That's obvious enough to anyone who can read the bottle - my point was that (from what I recall) they have a very similar flavour profile.

That's obvious enough to anyone who can read the bottle - my point was that (from what I recall) they have a very similar flavour profile.
Not really - completely different peat sources. Highland Park's peat is very floral. The Islay's are mostly quite medicinal (that TCP flavour). Talisker's is quite 'wood-smoky' for want of a better word. The only real comparison is that they're all smoky. That said - the peatiness of (say) Bowmore is completely different to the peatiness of ardbeg, and they're both islays.

Glenfiddich is the worlds best selling malt. Lots of smaller ones have tried to copy its flavour profile to grab some of the market - we wouldn't consider them all speysides, just because they're similar in style - they might have elements of the speyside character, but unless they were made in speyside, they aren't speysides.

Not really - completely different peat sources. Highland Park's peat is very floral. The Islay's are mostly quite medicinal (that TCP flavour). Talisker's is quite 'wood-smoky' for want of a better word. The only real comparison is that they're all smoky. That said - the peatiness of (say) Bowmore is completely different to the peatiness of ardbeg, and they're both islays.

Glenfiddich is the worlds best selling malt. Lots of smaller ones have tried to copy its flavour profile to grab some of the market - we wouldn't consider them all speysides, just because they're similar in style - they might have elements of the speyside character, but unless they were made in speyside, they aren't speysides.

I stand corrected.

I couldn't agree more with Masterkova's response. The Islay region produces the finest Scotch hands down... in my opinion. My favorite distilleries would be Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, and Caol Ila.

As a novice Scotch aficionado (I blame the Speakeasy for piquing my interest), my experience thus far is limited.

Still, I have found a remarkable fondness for Speyside single malt, currently enjoying Cragganmore 12 year old Single Malt, and The Balvenie DoubleWood 12 year Single Malt. Both are very nice, with the Cragganmore slightly in the lead for my palette. Both are sweet and floral, yet the Cragganmore is slightly more complex.

Top Bottom