What's new

Your favorite Scotch region?

Lowland
whiskies are generally regarded as the most light bodied of the Single Malts. Auchentoshan and Glenkinchie are two examples.

Islay whiskies are generally described heavily peated, oily and even iodine-like and medicinal. Islay is an island off the coast of Scotland proper, and a number of marine characteristics can carry into the whiskies produced here. Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavullin are all Islay whiskies.

Highland whiskies include Oban, Glenmorangie and the Dalmore. Not as light as Lowland whiskies, but lighter and more elegant than the bullies from Islay.

The Islands comprise all of the whisky producing islands in Scotland minus Islay, and are generally considered part of the Highland district. However, with unique offerings from Talisker, Jura and Arran, some argue that it deserves consideration as its own region.

Speyside offers up the most distilleries of any region in Scotland. Considered the most elegant whiskies in Scotland, Speyside is home to the Macallan, Glenlivet, and Glenfiddich.

Campbeltown is home to Springbank, makers of Springbank, Hazelburn and Longrow and Glen Scotia. Springbank is the iconic Campbeltown whisky, usually found at 10 years of age although other bottlings exist.

I'd have to go with Islay first, I'd be content drinking nothing but Laphroaig ever again. The Islands would be 2nd, more specifically, Skye. Talisker is fantastic scotch.

Difficult to pick a favourite. Could you really compare something like Glenfiddich with something like Ardbeg? Sometimes you're in the mood for something thick, dark and peaty. Some times you want something light, sweet and floral. Is it possible to have less than half-a-dozen bottles open at any given point?

I suppose that if I had to pick a couple, if I could keep speyside and islay I'd be a happy bunny. But, on the other hand, I'd miss never getting to drink an Auchetoshan or a Highland Park or a Talisker again.....

Legion

Staff member
+1. I don't think I could pick just one. I kinda like them all, and will switch depending on my mood at the time.

(At the moment it is Islay)

If I had to pick I'd say Speyside (Balvinie and Glenrothes). Although I've had some from pretty much every region that I like, except Islay I just can't quite get the taste for the high peat taste. Maybe I'll develop more of a taste for it as I experience more from the that region, however so far the Laphroaig and Lagavullin are strikes in my book.

There is no way I could pick just one. Or even just two. And for not-least-of-which-reason is that there are a lot of newer whiskies coming out of the woodwork in the last few years. It seems like it is a real growth-market. And ain't that grand? :)

Speyside for me, closely followed by Highland.

I've probably not matured enough to appreciate the peatier malts yet.

Speyside. Followed by Islay because of Bruchladdich. Definitely not "medicine-like". I also have an Auchentoshan "Three Wood" I would consider to be anything but light.

Nothing like Islay! I have a liquor store by me which has an attached culinary center. Luckily, they offer scotch classes every few months (each one is based on a region of Scotland). For $35, you get to sample about 6 or so scotches (roughly 1.5 shots worth of each in separate wine glasses) along with education about the region and distilleries. It's a great way to find out what you like before diving in and purchasing an entire bottle. Of my taste travels so far, I really love the Islay malts. Lagavulin is my all-time favorite (at the present time). The complexity, smokiness, sea-salt flavor of the ocean, and other attributes make this single malt perfect- for my personal tastes. My runner up right now is Caol Ila. While much lighter and less flavor complexity than Lagavulin, it's very tasty (and at a lower price point). The one i've yet to try but am really looking forward to, is Laphraoig!

I always thought it odd that Talisker wasn't considered Islay, but then it's been a long while since I had Talisker.

Like many of the other posters above, I enjoy different scotches on different days.

Not sure I've ever had Campbeltown, but since it's almost extinct that's not surprising.

Top Bottom