What's new

Your favorite comedian?

I also don't think a person's taste in comedy defines that individual's character.

Perhaps not entirely, but don't all of our tastes, preferences, thoughts, and actions define our character to some degree? The kinds of things we find funny, for instance, say a lot about us.

Perhaps not entirely, but don't all of our tastes, preferences, thoughts, and actions define our character to some degree? The kinds of things we find funny, for instance, say a lot about us.

I don't necessarily think that's true. Finding Richard Pryor funny because he points out different behaviors among whites/blacks doesn't make a person racist, any more than enjoying the Three Stooges makes one a buffoon.

EDIT: I would add that comedy is certainly dependent on context. Chris Rock talking about his experiences growing in black neighborhoods in NYC is funny; it's observational humor told from a position to have firsthand knowledge. If Larry the Cable Guy attempted the same material, it would be uncomfortable - to say the least. It's a matter of perspective.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think that's true. Finding Richard Pryor funny because he points out different behaviors among whites/blacks doesn't make a person racist, any more than enjoying the Three Stooges makes one a buffoon.

No, I'm not suggesting that enjoying the Three Stooges makes one a buffoon. But someone who finds the Three Stooges funny is going to be a different person compared to someone who does not find them funny. I'm suggesting the much broader notion that the kinds of things we find funny are part of what makes us who we are. Someone who prefers classical music to heavy metal is going to be different from someone whose preferences are the other way around. Again, our tastes, preferences, thoughts, and actions tell our stories. I'm not evaluating those stories right now (ie, judging one story better than another). I'm merely proposing that even something as simple as our preferences in comedy does contribute to our character and identity.

No, I'm not suggesting that enjoying the Three Stooges makes one a buffoon. But someone who finds the Three Stooges funny is going to be a different person compared to someone who does not find them funny. I'm suggesting the much broader notion that the kinds of things we find funny are part of what makes us who we are. Someone who prefers classical music to heavy metal is going to be different from someone whose preferences are the other way around. Again, our tastes, preferences, thoughts, and actions tell our stories. I'm not evaluating those stories right now (ie, judging one story better than another). I'm merely proposing that even something as simple as our preferences in comedy does contribute to our character and identity.

I can't make up my mind on The Three Stooges. I enjoyed them as a kid. Now I generally HATE movies where the characters act like retards. I can't stand Will Ferrel or Sasha Cohen. The Green Hornet was ruined for me because Seth Rogen looked and acted somewhat like Will.

I guess it will be a WTC (Wait Till Cable) movie.

I can't make up my mind on The Three Stooges. I enjoyed them as a kid. Now I generally HATE movies where the characters act like retards. I can't stand Will Ferrel or Sasha Cohen. The Green Hornet was ruined for me because Seth Rogen looked and acted somewhat like Will.

I guess it will be a WTC (Wait Till Cable) movie.

The three stooges NEVER made me laugh. Lots of my friends think they're genius, but it's lost on me. Will be skipping the upcoming Stooges movie.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Part of the humor and allure of the Stooges during their heyday was the fact that they generally performed in short films.
I don't think I could take an hour and a half of the real 3 Stooges in one sitting, let alone an hour and a half of 3 guys doing a poor impression of the stooges set in modern times.

Part of the humor and allure of the Stooges during their heyday was the fact that they generally performed in short films.
I don't think I could take an hour and a half of the real 3 Stooges in one sitting, let alone an hour and a half of 3 guys doing a poor impression of the stooges set in modern times.

Agreed. Very seldom is a movie able to capture the actual artist. I do feel Jim Carey did an excellent job portraying Andy Kaufman

I agree with some of you regarding the Stooges. The anger and persistent abuse between the guys never appealed to me, not even when made to seem light and comical. I am a big fan both of Laurel & Hardy as well as Abbott & Costello. These guys had their differences and were often frustrated with one another, but the comedy didn't play out in repetitive violence. Another factor is sophistication of the comedy: I prefer the subtle pauses and the impeccable timing of the great classic comedians and teams. They knew when to act and when doing nothing at all would impact their audiences. Brash shotgun approaches to comedy never tickle my funny bone.

Perhaps the funniest writer and producer of all time is Mel Brooks. A true genius, I saw an interview with him a couple of months ago and he was hilarious.

Perhaps the funniest writer and producer of all time is Mel Brooks. A true genius, I saw an interview with him a couple of months ago and he was hilarious.

I like most of Mel's work, but I HATED Space Balls. To make it worse, my son loved it so I was subjected to it repeatedly.

This may be, but I HATE Andy Kaufman. :)

Jim can make me laugh but I hear he's horrible to work with.

I agree completely. His portrayal was great, the person he was portraying was lame. I never once watched AK and laughed. Acting anti-social is comical? There is a video of him on Letterman back in the 80's where he is completely awkward and the audience is roaring. I just don't get it.

Mike Nichols and Elaine May
Bob and Ray
The Smothers Brothers

OMG, how could I forget the Smothers Brothers. The hosted one of the HBO young comics specials (the 11th?) and were brilliant. Did some of their old bits which were as funny then as when they were done originally.

Jim Jefferies, Louis C.K., Greg Giraldo, Patrice O'Neal, Kurt Metzger, Joe Derosa, lil' Jimmy Norton, Billy Burr, Doug Stanhope, Nick DiPaolo

just to name a few

Top Bottom