What's new

Yaqi Tachi and DScosmetics SE

Not trying to send you away, but what about just opening up a separate thread. There are a couple of Shield users on B&B, I'm sure they'll chime in then (but wouldn't expect Shield related context here).

Cheers!
Yeah brain issues on my part. We were posting Shield stuff earlier on pages 1/2. I think...

I did shave with the Tachi this morning, a last minute change of plans, and I'm glad I did. A very clean, close shave. No cuts, slices, screams, scars, gashes ... just a BBS shave when all was said and done.
Soap was Stirling Hot Apple Pie, brush was a Perfecto Badger, blade was a Derby Extra SE.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I did shave with the Tachi this morning, a last minute change of plans, and I'm glad I did. A very clean, close shave. No cuts, slices, screams, scars, gashes ... just a BBS shave when all was said and done.
Soap was Stirling Hot Apple Pie, brush was a Perfecto Badger, blade was a Derby Extra SE.

proxy.php
Awesome! 👍
I'll have to give a milder blade a try in the Tachi. Is the Derby Extra your go to blade?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I wonder if the Tachi performance and sounds rather depends on beard/stubble length than blade choice?

The sound of the razor/blade depends a lot on the blade though. Alpha Outlaw + Feather sounds quite different to the Nacet, the Feather creating a higher pitched sound than the Nacet. I believe the Nacet is stiffer and maybe thicker.

I am still looking for my razor handles and cleaned up two cabinets in the process. :stuart:

I wonder if the Tachi performance and sounds rather depends on beard/stubble length than blade choice?

The sound of the razor/blade depends a lot on the blade though. Alpha Outlaw + Feather sounds quite different to the Nacet, the Feather creating a higher pitched sound than the Nacet. I believe the Nacet is stiffer and maybe thicker.
You might have a point with this theory. In fact I had a similar thought, whenever a longer shaving period is in question. Say 24 hours growth vs 4 days of growth.
In my case the shaving period wasn't that different, but the keenness of the blades was. My first shave was with Nacet / 24 hours stubble, the second one was Feather/36 hours of stubble...

Perhaps even a combination of the two factors is the reason.

This needs further review.

Last edited:
Awesome! 👍
I'll have to give a milder blade a try in the Tachi. Is the Derby Extra your go to blade?
Well, it was my first shave with the Tachi. I went with the Derby Extra because it's a mild blade I've used many times in my DE razors and @gpjoe included them with the razor. My go-to blade in my SE razors is usually the Shark Super Stainless. The Derby Extra worked out well, though. It's not the sharpest blade out there but it worked well in the Tachi and it's a blade I'm familiar with so I chose it for my first shave with the Tachi.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Can't wait to talk about it, but it has just been "processed" and not yet shipped.

My quest to find the lost handles is ongoing, I found other things I wasn't even looking for. 💩

Maybe this is a good place ask this, rather than starting a new thread.

I see you guys are enjoying these razors and they seem popular for head shaving. I guess my question is: why?

What makes an SE that takes 1/2 DE blades preferable to just using a DE and replacing the blade less often?

If the answer is "They are cool and I like them" then I can dig it. They ARE cool and I like them too. I just wondered if you guys are perceiving some practical advantage.

Face shaver here.

Imo, the overall shaving experience is a bit different to regular DE razors. It's not necessarily the final result which differs but the way you apply the strokes on the skin, the angle is different. It's hard to describe. If you will, it's a break from the regular DE routine because you can't flip the razor head.

It's perhaps not a "must have" in every wet shaving guy's den, but for me it's a nice addition to my razor lineup.

Anf yes, they look cool and I like them 😜👍

Cheers!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I should probably shave with the Tachi first before answering, but I have some ideas already.

1. If someone uses a DE blade only once. With the SE head and a half blade you waste only half a blade. Some do that, though it might have been of advantage for the nowadays rare barber shops.
2. Shaving angle and center of gravity are different, leading to a lightweight and very different kind of shave. This is what I figured out when using the Romulus SE, which uses AC blades
(3. AC blades are not just longer, they are thicker, stronger, imo better blades that also work for wiry hairy and are simply a step up from good but cheap DE blades. This is in brackets as it doesn't apply to half-DE-blades.)
4. Small and narrow razor heads might be to your liking. This might be more attractive for body shavers, maybe head shavers as well, for me its just speculation, I don't shave legs and head. And my wife uses a totally terrible TTO for legshaving, only to torture me.
5. Style, preference?

6. In conclusion, no truly significant advantage to using a DE razor. With half blades.
but 7. SE razors using AC blades might just add that bit of firm blade that one can only get with a DE blade after a lot of twisting and clamping.

On the other side, that the Tachi uses cheap DE blades is also an advantage...

Goblin's question makes me wonder why the first DE half-blade SE razors were designed... I think it is because point 1, the Turkish "Sedef" shavette type of razor was invented to use disposable half DE blades after using the same blade because of health concerns over using the same straight razor on customers repeatedly.

I should probably shave with the Tachi first before answering, but I have some ideas already.

1. If someone uses a DE blade only once. With the SE head and a half blade you waste only half a blade. Some do that, though it might have been of advantage for the nowadays rare barber shops.
2. Shaving angle and center of gravity are different, leading to a lightweight and very different kind of shave. This is what I figured out when using the Romulus SE, which uses AC blades
(3. AC blades are not just longer, they are thicker, stronger, imo better blades that also work for wiry hairy and are simply a step up from good but cheap DE blades. This is in brackets as it doesn't apply to half-DE-blades.)
4. Small and narrow razor heads might be to your liking. This might be more attractive for body shavers, maybe head shavers as well, for me its just speculation, I don't shave legs and head. And my wife uses a totally terrible TTO for legshaving, only to torture me.
5. Style, preference?

6. In conclusion, no truly significant advantage to using a DE razor. With half blades.
but 7. SE razors using AC blades might just add that bit of firm blade that one can only get with a DE blade after a lot of twisting and clamping.

On the other side, that the Tachi uses cheap DE blades is also an advantage...

Goblin's question makes me wonder why the first DE half-blade SE razors were designed... I think it is because point 1, the Turkish "Sedef" shavette type of razor was invented to use disposable half DE blades after using the same blade because of health concerns over using the same straight razor on customers repeatedly.
I'm keeping an eye on this half-blade razor, I'm waiting for your shaving considerations... I know you like aggressive razors, so an excellent feed for me

Maybe this is a good place ask this, rather than starting a new thread.

I see you guys are enjoying these razors and they seem popular for head shaving. I guess my question is: why?

What makes an SE that takes 1/2 DE blades preferable to just using a DE and replacing the blade less often?

If the answer is "They are cool and I like them" then I can dig it. They ARE cool and I like them too. I just wondered if you guys are perceiving some practical advantage.

I bought a Leaf (there blade) razor for head shaves, and it performs as well as a cartridge razor. I got half-blade BAD (Blade Acquisition Disorder) and stocked up on WAY too many DE half-blades to use with the Leaf.

Then I discovered the Blackland Vector and moved on to that for my head shaves. I like the smaller head on SE razors, and have never attempted a DE razor head shave.

Looking at my pile of hundreds (600?...700?...800?) half-blades, I went on a quest to find a DE half-blade razor that was as efficient and well-behaved as my Vector, just to use up some of my hoard of half-blades for head shaves...

...alas...I have not yet found THAT razor... 😕 ...but that has been my motive and rationale.

After christening my Shield AC razor a couple of days ago it's taking all my willpower not to bomb out of the 2024 restraint in a frenzy of AC-related RAD!

Looking at my pile of hundreds (600?...700?...800?) half-blades, I went on a quest to find a DE half-blade razor that was as efficient and well-behaved as my Vector, just to use up some of my hoard of half-blades for head shaves...

...alas...I have not yet found THAT razor... 😕 ...but that has been my motive and rationale.

I wondered if it was a case of the form factor of the half DE just being more nimble for head shaving. Do you think that not finding something that competes with the Vector could be down to the difference in the blade type? Perhaps an injector would offer the best of both worlds - small head, AND stiffer, sharper blades...not that I am trying to encourage additional purchases!

I wondered if it was a case of the form factor of the half DE just being more nimble for head shaving. Do you think that not finding something that competes with the Vector could be down to the difference in the blade type? Perhaps an injector would offer the best of both worlds - small head, AND stiffer, sharper blades...not that I am trying to encourage additional purchases!

It very much is the smaller form factor, especially with the Vector, which is extremely nimble, efficient, and is an autopilot head shave for me. I've never been punished by the Vector regardless of how careless the shave.

I've got a very nice Shick "E" injector and some "Chick" blades, but I've never shaved with it, face or head...and you're right, that's another rabbit hole that won't solve my "too many half-blades" dilemma. 🙂

I probably should just admit that the Vector is perfect and abandon my search for a DE half-blade razor. I've already tried and sold (or PIF'ed) Razorock Eco (2), Stando Prowe, and Yaqi Tachi.

Still have a Shield Predator (GEM, and a great head shaver), and a Shield Stomper and DS Cosmetics MARS SE (both half-blade) and those may soon need a new home.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I got something for @Goblin as I just did it.

I was just too curious and couldn't wait and shaved with the Tachi, but will reserve judgement till Thursday/Friday. So far it was good, and I noticed this.

Under the nostrils, I placed the slim head straight under the nose, and then put my index finger behind the head, applied some pressure and pulled down. Granted, one could possibly do this with a DE as well, but I would not try it.

Gives a very good shave, but I also noticed the blade is still a DE blade, so it's imo inherently handicapped compared to the stronger blade of an AC blade like the Feather Pro or others.

While the shave was close and I felt quite some burn afterwards, I always had to do an ATG pass and a few corrections as now and then it didn't get that close. This is an advantage of heavily clamped razors that don't let so much blade stick out unsupported.

On the plus side, this razor gives incredible audio feedback while shaving, I closed my eyes. Compare this to highly clamped and silent razors, my Wunderbar for instance, I stare at the mirror and wonder "did it shave?" and then "yeah, it's all gone, I felt almost nothing" or even literally nothing. I once even sliced away skin without noticing right away.

So, if you love tactile and audio feedback, the Tachi is excellent. The handle was surprisingly heavy for a short and thin handle! They didn't bother drilling the threads deep, it's a very solid chunk of metal but well balanced. I used much more different grips than with larger handles, despite it having quite some heft it is a very agile handle, good grip.

It is less aggressive than the Yaqi Harlequin, easy to use and while not being too skin friendly, I see little chance to cut yourself with the Tachi.

I think @gpjoe has a point, the Tachi is definitely good, but when I compare to my Romulus and what I heard about the Vector, it definitely makes me want to try a Vector. The Tachi makes extremely good use of DE blades, but I really have a strong suspicion the Vector and possibly other AC blade razors might be due to their blades in a class that makes DE blade razors pale in comparison.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yaqi Tachi / BIC Platinum (half blade)
YTachi.jpg

The Tachi is looking a bit like the Yaqi Katana, blade clamping is supposedly different and improved. Despite this I am ultimately not that happy with the Tachi; it is not as efficient as many of my DE razors, while being a bit harsh, and while loud and pointing out stubble audibly, it often doesn't catch all hair and pointing the razor somewhere and pulling down to correct that is not always guaranteed either. I think the blade is simply sticking out too much without support, creating chatter and noise, and while the noise is beneficial audible feedback, it also seems to harm cutting performance. A stiffer edge would be necessary, but as the Tachi is using half blades, it's just not comparable to an Artist Club SE blade edge.

Maneuverable and fun with good feedback, but not as mild nor as efficient as some other razors, this head is definitely not a must have.

P.S. did I know somehow remember what @JAHE wrote or came "not a must have" to my mind by itself. 🤔😁

I really want to find a stainless steel SE razor that uses DE half-blades. Today I ordered two heads from Aliexpress: a Yaqi Tachi and a DSC Mars SE.

Anyone used either of these? I know that opinions are just that, and very subjective, but still would like to hear your thoughts.

I've used the aluminum Razorock Hawk Eco with pretty good results, and I know it is an extreme longshot that anyone has use the Hawk and either (or both) of these other two, but if you have, I'd love to hear about it.
I have the Sheild Stomper (on their AliExpress Store they call it SE Head), the ECO, the Stando Prowe, and the Stando Jaga (look carefully as there is also an Artist Club Jage). I like the Shield - for me, it is at the low end of aggression, with enough blade feel to know it's working but no irritation. Smooth and comfortable. The handles (I have several Shields) are very positive and secure when wet. I love all my Standos. Impeccable craftsmanship (they are fun to just look at), Very efficient/effective but surprisingly gentle on the skin - Dr. Alum approves (I prefer Treet Yellow Durasharps in them). The handles are super grippy and they let you choose your handle if you do not want the default and they have stand holes in the bottom as an option(I have several and they are all very good). The Prowe has less blade feel and is milder than the Jaga. There is also a titanium version of the Jaga. The blade gap is 1.2 on the Jaga, but it feels very gentle on the face so DO NOT APPLY PRESSURE. Obey that rule and it is an awesome shave. They don't publish the gap for the Prowe and I still haven't set up my measuring system so I don't know what it is.

I rank them (for me) as Jaga, Stomper, Prowe, and ECO. Hope this helps

Top Bottom