What's new

Yaqi Remus - Best AC blade option

Hi,

I just got my Yaqi Remus and I put in 2 shaves on it. I know there are similarities to Vector, but that is a discussion for another day.

Now I am a regular R41 user, therefore I decided to put in the Feather AC pro super blade. What am I missing? Where is the sharpness/aggressiveness. What am I doing wrong with this razor/blade. I just find it quite mild.

Anyone has suggestions on some other blade that I should try or on how to use the razor (more pressure??)

Thanks in advance!

I have the Romulus and use the Feather ProGuard blade and been getting excellent results. I have yet to try the Kai Protouch MG, but it is on my list.

I think the Romulus provides a relatively gentle shave, but I get very close results.

eric.
Which AC razor is the most aggressive then?

Which AC razor is the most aggressive then?

I'm not the best person to ask this question as I prefer mild razors in general. I have heard that the Asylum Rx-v2 from Bullgoose Shaving is aggressive. I would recommend starting a thread asking for recommendations for an aggressive AC razor and I am sure you will get plenty of responses. Good luck.

eric

The Shield/Boti is transparent on their specifications.
1693239395508.jpg

This razor works well for me. Besides this AC razor, not counting the straight razor/shavette type, I have only tried the Razorock Hawk V1 and there is no blade gap and it clogs easily. I have the V3 "A" and OC, but I haven't used them yet.

Last edited:
I
The Shield/Boti is transparent on their specifications.View attachment 1732017
This razor works well for me. Besides this AC razor, not counting the straight razor/shavette type, I have only tried the Razorock Hawk V1 and there is no blade gap and it clogs easily. I have the V3 "A" and OC, but I haven't used them yet.
I will be really interested in hearing your views on the Razorock Hawk A and OC!

I

I will be really interested in hearing your views on the Razorock Hawk A and OC!
I tried the hawk V3 "A". To start, it is made very well, with a high polish. Blade easy to load. No irritation or clogging
The head geometry is much different than the Boti/Shield. The Hawk seems hard to find the right angle, where the Boti/Shield is more straight forward, no learning curve. Saturday for the OC.

Some kind person loaned me a Cobra Classic a few years ago and I still think it's the most agressive AC razor I've used. I know memory can play tricks, but the RX and other AC razors I actually own feel nowhere as fierce.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Interested in a Yaqi AC. What are the differences between Romulus, Remus and Excalibur?
Yaqi just recently released their new SS AC 50 mm razors the Romulus and Remus. The Romulus is a 316 SS polished surface and the Remus is a Matte finish but specs of the 2 razors are similar other than the finishes. The Excalibur is Yaqi first attempt making a AC type SE razor and that one I'm familiar with. The Excalibur is a nice mild to tame mid range and is a good entry razor, I get really nice shaves from the Excalibur. The fellows who own both versions like the SS version better and are getting nice shaves also from me reading different posts.
With my Excalibur I have the chromed and matte finishes in Zamak and the polished version is the one I prefer and glide is great and tolerances are slightly better IMO. I have used both the Feather pro and Schick proline blades and I find the Schick proline works well and get 6 great shaves from the razor. I replaced the aluminum Excalibur handle with a Yaqi Milano 316 SSP and like that much more.
If it was me I would buy a Excalibur head and the Romulus razor that way you can decide what is best! You can by a Excalibur head for around $5-10 Canadian when on sale in the past.

Yaqi just recently released their new SS AC 50 mm razors the Romulus and Remus. The Romulus is a 316 SS polished surface and the Remus is a Matte finish but specs of the 2 razors are similar other than the finishes. The Excalibur is Yaqi first attempt making a AC type SE razor and that one I'm familiar with. The Excalibur is a nice mild to tame mid range and is a good entry razor, I get really nice shaves from the Excalibur. The fellows who own both versions like the SS version better and are getting nice shaves also from me reading different posts.
With my Excalibur I have the chromed and matte finishes in Zamak and the polished version is the one I prefer and glide is great and tolerances are slightly better IMO. I have used both the Feather pro and Schick proline blades and I find the Schick proline works well and get 6 great shaves from the razor. I replaced the aluminum Excalibur handle with a Yaqi Milano 316 SSP and like that much more.
If it was me I would buy a Excalibur head and the Romulus razor that way you can decide what is best! You can by a Excalibur head for around $5-10 Canadian when on sale in the past.
Thank you Ron for taking the time to explain all that! Great suggestion.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thank you Ron for taking the time to explain all that! Great suggestion.
I also got both and definitely prefer the Romulus over the Excalibur. Don't get me wrong, the latter one is a good razor, but the blade angle is different in the two. The Romulus is angled downward a bit more than the Excalibur; about the same angle as my La Faulx. It is maybe only a small difference, but it is that the Romulus gives a better shave to me than the Ex.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
1697723182629.png

I have a Romulus incoming, and am looking for blades locally.
I can get this one (seems to the the Feather Pro, no Guard something) and the Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink for 9,99 EUR each, shipping included.
The Schick Proline P-30 was recommended to me by @ClumsyBull but I have trouble getting them, unfortunately.
Seems they would be the preferred choice by @Ron R but as I have a hard time getting them for a reasonable price, I think I will have to go with the Feather Pro blades.

I was just thinking out loud, I hope I made sense, what do you say? :)

I also got both and definitely prefer the Romulus over the Excalibur. Don't get me wrong, the latter one is a good razor, but the blade angle is different in the two. The Romulus is angled downward a bit more than the Excalibur; about the same angle as my La Faulx. It is maybe only a small difference, but it is that the Romulus gives a better shave to me than the Ex.
Interesting, and thank you for your comments. Angle is significant for me. I like it when the angle is built in to the design so that the handle can be used at an easy, natural angle without needing to go steep or shallow to accommodate the shave angle needed for the head. My WR4 is like this and I really like it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1735084

I have a Romulus incoming, and am looking for blades locally.
I can get this one (seems to the the Feather Pro, no Guard something) and the Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink for 9,99 EUR each, shipping included.
The Schick Proline P-30 was recommended to me by @ClumsyBull but I have trouble getting them, unfortunately.
Seems they would be the preferred choice by @Ron R but as I have a hard time getting them for a reasonable price, I think I will have to go with the Feather Pro blades.

I was just thinking out loud, I hope I made sense, what do you say? :)
I have used the Feather pro and works OK, Yaqi tested their razors with the Feather pro and the blade you get with a new Romulus underneath the cap and base plate is a Feather Pro blade. They shave similar but I find the Schick proline lasts a little longer and is reasonbly smooth also. A blade that lasts longer is usually sharp and metallurgy is better possible, first shave on all AC blade brands tug a little and then smooth nicely out(Large width of blade contact might contribute?) for some of the best shaving I have experienced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom