What's new

Yaqi Panda Two Band Badger

The last thing I needed was another brush (actually the last thing I need is more shaving soap, but the next to last thing would be another shaving brush). Somehow, though, the Yaqi Panda handle just amuses me enough that having it on the shelf and picking it up in the morning does make me smile. So for about $30, it seemed worthwhile. Also, I have a couple of other Yaqi 2 band badger brushes that I quite like. My "Panda" arrived yesterday, and as expected it had a bit of animal funk to it. I gave it a test lather with a highly fragrant soap (Kentucky Bourbon by Areefa Soaps in Ukraime) and was momentarily concerned as it lost 2 or 3 hairs.

This morning was the first shave with the Panda, and I was extremely pleased with its performance. No lost hairs, no problem whipping up plenty of lather with my Kentucky Bourbon soap, and a great handle for providing comfort and control with my somewhat arthritic fingers. In use the brush has plenty of backbone and soft, cushiony tips - even on its first use. The funk will take a few more shaves, or a couple of weeks to dissipate, but it was not overwhelming. I have owned much more expensive badger brushes from Simpsons, Shavemac and Zenith, but I didn't find that any of them ouperformed the Panda.

panda brush.jpg

The last thing I needed was another brush (actually the last thing I need is more shaving soap, but the next to last thing would be another shaving brush). Somehow, though, the Yaqi Panda handle just amuses me enough that having it on the shelf and picking it up in the morning does make me smile. So for about $30, it seemed worthwhile. Also, I have a couple of other Yaqi 2 band badger brushes that I quite like. My "Panda" arrived yesterday, and as expected it had a bit of animal funk to it. I gave it a test lather with a highly fragrant soap (Kentucky Bourbon by Areefa Soaps in Ukraime) and was momentarily concerned as it lost 2 or 3 hairs.

This morning was the first shave with the Panda, and I was extremely pleased with its performance. No lost hairs, no problem whipping up plenty of lather with my Kentucky Bourbon soap, and a great handle for providing comfort and control with my somewhat arthritic fingers. In use the brush has plenty of backbone and soft, cushiony tips - even on its first use. The funk will take a few more shaves, or a couple of weeks to dissipate, but it was not overwhelming. I have owned much more expensive badger brushes from Simpsons, Shavemac and Zenith, but I didn't find that any of them ouperformed the Panda.

View attachment 1694918

Apart from maybe a bit extra density with the more expensive badger brushes, I also don't find much difference with the hair itself.

Yaqi really changed the game when they went direct to consumer (before that, they were only on alibaba with MOQs of 200 units!).

The Panda is an awesome brush.
I also love their moka two band!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have one in the Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic, it is all right and I find the tuxedo knot excellent to use. I bought mine on sale at a excellent price like most of my other Yaqi brushes. There is something about the handle that is appealing to folks, it is a innocent thought of their mascot bear is my take of it when I bought mine to break up the theme series Yaqi seems to promote.
I just used mine recently.
Brush Collage July 29 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Yaqi has the potential to make more interesting cables and knots than the current ones. there is a lack of a tasteful designer on the team.

Apart from maybe a bit extra density with the more expensive badger brushes, I also don't find much difference with the hair itself.

Yaqi really changed the game when they went direct to consumer (before that, they were only on alibaba with MOQs of 200 units!).

The Panda is an awesome brush.
I also love their moka two band!
I agree, particularly with regard to the Moka Two Band brush. It is one of my favorites. The Panda and Moka are a great 1-2 punch. The Panda is a bit smaller, but on days I feel like using a big brush I go to the Moka or my Maggard SHD two band.

Ron R

I agree, particularly with regard to the Moka Two Band brush. It is one of my favorites. The Panda and Moka are a great 1-2 punch. The Panda is a bit smaller, but on days I feel like using a big brush I go to the Moka or my Maggard SHD two band.
I have 5 of the Yaqi 2band badgers, 2- 24mm, "Mountain lake":001_wub: & "Barber pole":thumbup: + 2- 22mm, "Sagrada Familia":001_wub: & "Ever-helpful":thumbup1: also 1- ''26mm "Moka express":thumbup:.
All the brushes have different face feels it seems, the 24mm brushes are excellent and the 22mm "Sagrada Familia" very nice brushes to use.
The large 26mm 2band "Moka express" works well and the 22mm "Ever helpful" is one of the best soft tip great back bone scrubber(it will give any boar brush a run for its money IMO).
Bought all these on sale at very decent prices over the last 2 years with no regrets.

I have 5 of the Yaqi 2band badgers, 2- 24mm, "Mountain lake":001_wub: & "Barber pole":thumbup: + 2- 22mm, "Sagrada Familia":001_wub: & "Ever-helpful":thumbup1: also 1- ''26mm "Moka express":thumbup:.
All the brushes have different face feels it seems, the 24mm brushes are excellent and the 22mm "Sagrada Familia" very nice brushes to use.
The large 26mm 2band "Moka express" works well and the 22mm "Ever helpful" is one of the best soft tip great back bone scrubber(it will give any boar brush a run for its money IMO).
Bought all these on sale at very decent prices over the last 2 years with no regrets.
My Moka Express 2 band and Panda 2 band seem very much like the same knot in different sizes. The Ever-Helpful, however, is a a completely different experience. I recently used it for a week at a vacation house. I think I prefer it as a travel brush to my small synthetic brushes, but as you say, it is a very scrubby little brush and nothing like the other 2 band badgers from Yaqi.

Ron R

My Moka Express 2 band and Panda 2 band seem very much like the same knot in different sizes. The Ever-Helpful, however, is a a completely different experience. I recently used it for a week at a vacation house. I think I prefer it as a travel brush to my small synthetic brushes, but as you say, it is a very scrubby little brush and nothing like the other 2 band badgers from Yaqi.
Yaqi I believe designed it so to be a nice scrubber brush, high density & lower loft in 2band badger is what they installed in the handle. Some fellows who have a thick beard coarse beard who love the scrub of the brush would very much enjoy it IMO.

Top Bottom