What's new

Yaqi Duomo Stainless Steel Safety Razor

It's indeed looking much more promising, here is why: The knurling and patterns have exactly zero grip, you can slide up and down on them. To lock the handle in the hand, you have to grip it at the rings between the three segments. The whole patterns around the segments are not grippy at all! Add lather and the heavy weight, it is a beefy 14 or even 15 mm handle of quite some length, and it becomes a bit silly. Because I always try to grip it at the knurly parts that aren't that grippy now and then.

Buying it as titanium version might help alleviate some of the problems, but I am afraid they might be electropolished like the SS handles. But maybe the titanium knurls are resilient enough to stay a bit edgy? That would be nice.

I also have the Scepter handle from DSCosmetics. Now it isn't so slippery as becoming unusable, but the knurling doesn't really add much grip. The best knurling is on the Alpha handles, they are not as rough as the extreme Super Knurl by Razorocok, but still supremely grippy and nice looking. And as usual, the Timeless Ti Crown handle also works nicely.

I bet the very same handle made by Yaqi and DSCosmetic would be more slippery when made by DSC. It must be their electropolishing. Yaqi CLAIMS hand polishing now and then, and that seems to be true, but I am not sure for every handle. Some designs are just too well suited for electropolishing, as they have no knurls, but just spirals or geometrical designs. Like the DSCosmetic Ladder handle, that one is slippery by default, but has three massive finger cutouts in the handle design that it doesn't matter that much anymore.
Lemonwald has (or used to have) bulldog-style handles that were inexpensive and quite nicely grippy, almost as much as Alpha handles.

My thoughts on the Destroyer handle are pretty much the same. Pretty, but poor grip.

Just wanted to add on the Destroyer handle comments. The Stainless threads are nice but the threading on the titanium version is pretty bad, threads are loose and sloppy. It feels like it wants to cross thread so I have to be careful when assembling. Thought it was just that one and I bought a replacement months later and it's just as bad. Picked up a different DS cosmetics Ti handle at the same time and it's threads are fine.

Today arrived my YAQI DUOMO. I have long eyed it at AE site but Chinese razor prices have gone up. I hesitated and disciplined myself. But damn @Iridian stirred me up :drool: and then was the Christams sale at AE. I could not resist for 2/3 of the normal prize.

It arrived in carton box in bubble envelope. Nothing special but unharmed and whole. Razor itself wrapped in plastic film.

Razor looks nice and shiny. I noticed the shiny and polished handle and thought myself could it be slippery when soapy !? YES it can ! It is !

I knew from some reviewers that it is on the aggressive side. I loaded it with already mellowed Rubie blade with already 20 shaves on it and proceeded to the shave. I used Bodyshops Maca Root & Aloe shaving cream and one of my small synthetic brushes. Some say it needs very steep angle others very shallow. I am shallow angle shaver. So I used proper angle - shallow. I was very cautious. But first strokes were very good and comfy with some blade feel. It reminded me my DSC S9 razor. Just started to speed up and was little sloppy when Doumo punished me with weeper at mouth corner. I was careful later on. Still when headshaving got a nick above ear.

Two pass usual shave. DFS+
A very good razor that needs shavers attention. Slippery handle was little disappointment.

DSCF5623_1.JPG

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Halfbeard grip it like you should never hold a wine glass, then the shape will work in your favor. 😀 Go a bit steeper, it will get a bit more aggressive but also effective.

Second shave with Yaqi Duomo today.

Lathered up with Maca Root & Aloe and ordinary Aloe Vera handsoap Frankenlather. Result was too much lather so I decided to proceed with tree pass face shave. My usual is two pass shave.

Loaded Duomo with my old friend Rubie (23). I shaved slow and cautiously shallow and ended with very good BBS shave. Little irritation on neck under jawline where my face has sharp curves. It is hard to maintain proper shallow angle in curve with this new razor.

DSCF5640_1.JPG

The head (to me) looks like it has a certain Fatip Piccolo OC vibe to it. If you have a Fatip, I'd love to see your comparison of the two.
Yes, indeed they have similar appearance. Unfortunately I don't have Piccolo. I have read here in BB that it is also effective like Duomo is.

I thought first that it will be a new razor after binning old Rubie. I then was re-thinking. Let's continue with Duomo !

I changed to a fresh Rubie. Oh god this tuck never ends! Be warned newbies and experienced shavers:
Fresh blades are much sharper than old ones !
:a15:

Started like I used to. Made a stupid mistake and Duomo bit immediately. Got ugly mark on cheek. And weeper under nose. I adopted to new blade, corrected pressure and angle and from here on shave went well.

DSCF5879_1.JPG

Top Bottom