Yaqi has released a new stainless steel razor - Yaqi Duomo

Head material: Stainless Steel
Handle material: Stainless Steel
Handle length: 80mm
Handle diameter: 13MM
Color: Stainless Steel

Blade Gap:0.70mm
Total weight: about 94g
Package contents: 1 Razor/Without Blades.
Gift box: without.

Price:​
€94.14
Price includes VAT

Yaqi-Duomo-Stainless-Steel-Safety-Razor.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don't know Radimi or Palmera, but seems @romsitsa is right and it is a "Rasoio Di Milano produced RaDiMi razor". @efsk posted a photo of the mentioned razor a while ago in another forum.

It kinda also looks a bit like the comb of the Yaqi Bohemia, the French "Bohin" razor clone.

Unfortunately the discussion was about the looks of the razor. No info if it is rather mild or a beast or something else or in between.

R

romsitsa

I don't know Radimi or Palmera, but seems @romsitsa is right and it is a "Rasoio Di Milano produced RaDiMi razor". @efsk posted a photo of the mentioned razor a while ago in another forum.

It kinda also looks a bit like the comb of the Yaqi Bohemia, the French "Bohin" razor clone.

Unfortunately the discussion was about the looks of the razor. No info if it is rather mild or a beast or something else or in between.
I have an unbranded Radimi, mild, a branded Radimi, middle of the road, a Palmera, a beast. And all look the same.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Interesting looking razor, Yaqi likes to bring back older obsolete looking razors and that is good . I was looking at it earlier yesterday and it looks antique and built to last many generations.
Hope it shaves well, some of the Youtubers will be getting them in the mail soon and they go through the paces of using them. Another way of learning how the razor performs and they give there opinions, a lot of the buyers don't use the forums so reviews are limited it seems at times!

That looks good, but it seems as though the price competitiveness of Chinese razors is almost gone. IIRC you can get a Lupo in Europe for only an additional €15, so the question is, does the Yaqi design and machining quality stand up to the American offerings?

Edit: I should strictly say "Canadian offerings" when referring to Razorock.

It sure looks like the RASOIO RADIMI razor, it must not of survived WW2 because it looks like it was around that Era, not very many in existence or for sale on the internet from my limited research. Picture from _bay Italy & for sale!
View attachment 1747824
Have some great shaves!
I had seen this one for sale recently, but the price was very high... I preferred to invest in a Benz razor

image_2023-11-13_16-33.png

That looks good, but it seems as though the price competitiveness of Chinese razors is almost gone. IIRC you can get a Lupo in Europe for only an additional €15, so the question is, does the Yaqi design and machining quality stand up to the American offerings?

Edit: I should strictly say "Canadian offerings" when referring to Razorock.
By my experience, yes. Every Yaqi razor I have owned has been of comparable excellent quality. Even their Wolfman copies.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I must say, at the end of the evolutionary line of the "Radimi" is probably the Fatip OC. The Fatip ...

(at least of those I own... I do not really know if they have more than one SB, OC and slant design, I have a Lo Storto here and my Gentile is missing in whatever place I haven't looked yet!)

... geometry is different, a bit more toned down, less aggressive, without losing much efficiency.

@draebeard I haven't had issues with Yaqi either and on the contrary am very pleased with almost every purchase, I don't get along with the SLOPE, but that's probably just my personal preference, machining-wise its flawless. Not every handle matches every head perfectly though, threading is not super buttery sometimes. I very much like the "Vostok" Lupo-alike 1.05 DC, this one is really good, the Harlequin, Mellon... they are really lovely and among my best.

@Goblin since you changed user pics I am always a bit confused, but I guess it will go away over time! ;)
A difference between Yaqi and Razorock is the knurling. First, Yaqi seems to avoid knurled design for their CNC-ed razors. The new handles with knurling are brand new and I couldn't test them. The Razorock Superknurl for instance, nothing Yaqi has matches that aggressive knurling. It is a bit rough though, Alpha's Viper handle is my favorite, not as spiky but super grippy. I also like the Timeless Ti Crown handle, everyone seems to love it.
Yaqi handles are not as slippery as DSCosmetics handles. I think they do indeed a bit more hand polish, the electropolish of DSCosmetics makes even knurling somewhat slippery!!! They offer lots of handles that are grippy through their shape, but not by virtue of their finish. Tatara has on the other hand a very grippy beadblast finish for their Masamune/Masamune Nodachi razors. It's not really the golf ball dimples, the whole handle itself has a grippy coating.

There is always this copycat-thing with Yaqi and DSCosmetic. I am very fine when they bring back things like the Duomo. I am quite sceptical when discontinued Timeless and Blackland products like the "Tweed" or whatever it was called handle from Timeless and the Dart handle from Blackland. The whole SLOPE head seems heavily copied from the ATT Slant head design. Then I am in more rare cases also positively surprised when they genuinely do something on their own, the slight cutouts to better allow grabbing of the blade for the DSCosmetics S9 Game Changer clone for instance.

This said, Yaqi allows me to buy new designs regularly several times per year. Except for Razorock modern western razors often cost several times as much as one from Yaqi. And as we are living in interesting times, prices on average rather go up, often bringing razors in the luxury item/collector category. Many new manufacturers aim exclusively straight for that segment by now.

@Goblin since you changed user pics I am always a bit confused, but I guess it will go away over time! ;)

I decided to make a point of watching Coen Brothers movies over Xmas and just finished Raising Arizona. It immediately gets a place in my top 3 Coen Brothers films. The added plus was this scene where Nick Cage's character is shaving with a Black Beauty.

But I keep confusing myself too, so I might switch back in a week or two, when the Coen Brothers marathon is complete!

I always thought the DSCosmetic Destroyer handle looked like it would be superbly grippy - if I wasn't on restraint I would no doubt be acquiring one this year. Is it not as good as it looks?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I always thought the DSCosmetic Destroyer handle looked like it would be superbly grippy - if I wasn't on restraint I would no doubt be acquiring one this year. Is it not as good as it looks?
It's indeed looking much more promising, here is why: The knurling and patterns have exactly zero grip, you can slide up and down on them. To lock the handle in the hand, you have to grip it at the rings between the three segments. The whole patterns around the segments are not grippy at all! Add lather and the heavy weight, it is a beefy 14 or even 15 mm handle of quite some length, and it becomes a bit silly. Because I always try to grip it at the knurly parts that aren't that grippy now and then.

Buying it as titanium version might help alleviate some of the problems, but I am afraid they might be electropolished like the SS handles. But maybe the titanium knurls are resilient enough to stay a bit edgy? That would be nice.

I also have the Scepter handle from DSCosmetics. Now it isn't so slippery as becoming unusable, but the knurling doesn't really add much grip. The best knurling is on the Alpha handles, they are not as rough as the extreme Super Knurl by Razorocok, but still supremely grippy and nice looking. And as usual, the Timeless Ti Crown handle also works nicely.

I bet the very same handle made by Yaqi and DSCosmetic would be more slippery when made by DSC. It must be their electropolishing. Yaqi CLAIMS hand polishing now and then, and that seems to be true, but I am not sure for every handle. Some designs are just too well suited for electropolishing, as they have no knurls, but just spirals or geometrical designs. Like the DSCosmetic Ladder handle, that one is slippery by default, but has three massive finger cutouts in the handle design that it doesn't matter that much anymore.

It's indeed looking much more promising, here is why: The knurling and patterns have exactly zero grip, you can slide up and down on them. To lock the handle in the hand, you have to grip it at the rings between the three segments. The whole patterns around the segments are not grippy at all! Add lather and the heavy weight, it is a beefy 14 or even 15 mm handle of quite some length, and it becomes a bit silly. Because I always try to grip it at the knurly parts that aren't that grippy now and then.

Well, you just saved me £20! I can cross that one off the list I think. It does look cool though!

The best knurling is on the Alpha handles, they are not as rough as the extreme Super Knurl by Razorocok, but still supremely grippy and nice looking.

I own both the Bravo and Braveheart Alpha handles - I bought them first, then bought an Outlaw head to go with them. Very nice handles I agree!

Top Bottom