What's new

Wow a Butterscotch Chubby 2!

Hi Guys,

I picked this vintage Simpsons recently, it has a Butterscotch handle and is clearly an ancestor of the modern Chubby 2. I think Simpson's should make a Butterscotch brush again - I think I'll let them see mine.

Anyone else have or seen a Butterscotch Simpson's ?

proxy.php

With regards Butterscotch and Simpson's I also picked up this one that was made in England for Gimbels store (located in New York I think?) - it looks too much like a Duke not to have been made by Simpson's although it isn't marked with the Simpson's name. I have other Gimbel's which are Butterscotch too so I'm wondering if it was a requirement of Gimbel's that Simpson's made the handle in a Butterscotch colour.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyway, I love these brushes and if you guys think there would be a market for some new Butterscotch Simpson's I'll see if I can persuade Brett at Progress Vulfix (Simpson's) to make some new Butterscotch ones?

Best wishes

Dave

P

pedro083

I was under the impeession that simpsons never made any butterscotch. That rather this colouring is the effect age has had on the material used to make the handle.

Probably some use, but not much - I'm using the 'Chubby' and it produces a great lather.

Best Wishes

Dave

+1. Several to be found there, including one from me (no longer produced small version of the Colonel).

+1 again. Those are some very nice looking brushes. Were they previously used?

No, not age discolour - this was meant to be that colour.

I know what you mean though - I have a number of Parker Duofold pens from 1920s that were originally 'Pearl and Black' but due to ageing of the early plastic the barrel has turned a lovely butterscotch colour - I think the gasses from the ink and rubber ink sac promoted the discolouration of the barrel as the cap of the pen is as original and not discoloured at all.

I have other vintage Simpson's that are pretty old and still Ivory in colour.

Best Wishes

Dave

I was under the impeession that simpsons never made any butterscotch. That rather this colouring is the effect age has had on the material used to make the handle.

I've reknotted vintage scotch simpsons, and while I can't speak for this specific brush, the one I reknotted was most definitely faux ivory on the inside once I ground in to open it up.

On another note, I had a vintage Gimbles brush with very soft hair in a lucite handle. I ripped the knot out hoping to set it deeply to make it less floppy... sadly it was no Simpson knot, even at 30mm loft it was floppy, the packing was so loose. Congratulations on two very nice vintage simpsons. If only I'd been so lucky.

I'm no vintage Simpsons expert, but the Gimbles brush is clearly marked "46" which is a current Simpsons model (aka the Berkeley), so it would be surprising if this brush was not made by Simpsons.

I'll have to speak to Brett then as the second brush in my post is definitely not discoloration of the plastic - it was actually painted (or stained) this colour purposely, presumably at the request of Gimbels for that particular order. I only found this because even though the brush is unused, a tiny part has flaked off near the neck of the knot.

Progress Vulfix only bought Simpson's in 2008 and the early Simpson's London factory was destroyed by bombs in WW2 so a huge amount of information would have been lost forever. I doubt whether anyone knows the complete order history from 1919 to 2008.

Best Wishes

Dave

Ask Brett, Simpson have never made butterscotch coloured handles, not even for other retailers. I have a lighter butterscotch CH2 made for Asprey, I thought the same.

Of course - Berkeley and NOT Duke as I put in my original post - thanks for the information.

Best wishes

Dave

I'm no vintage Simpsons expert, but the Gimbles brush is clearly marked "46" which is a current Simpsons model (aka the Berkeley), so it would be surprising if this brush was not made by Simpsons.

I'll have to speak to Brett then as the second brush in my post is definitely not discoloration of the plastic - it was actually painted (or stained) this colour purposely, presumably at the request of Gimbels for that particular order. I only found this because even though the brush is unused, a tiny part has flaked off near the neck of the knot.

It's possible but you've described precisely how Catalin butterscotch behaves, it can be quite delicate and brittle and can flake off revealing the original colour of the brush.

Top Bottom