What's new

Would love feedback

In an effort to learn and get the feel for straight shaving I have found the following useful:

Instead of my first pass with My Hart 5/8 Straight I first do a pass with my R41 Safety just to get the hair on my face reduced. I'm just doing 1 pass with the safety to reduce the stubble.

Then I use my Hart Straight Edge to go over my face. Really paying attention to blade angle and touch. I use the Straight to really get a closer reduction.

I find it that the Straight still picks up a lot of hair that the R41 Safety razor didn't get AND it seems way easier for me to focus on the Straight with regard to angle of edge and touch. I find that if I start with the Straight it's still too difficult.

My thinking is that if I do this everyday, as my muscle memory and technique improves with the Straight, I will start to transition more and more off the safety and go completely to the straight.

What are your thoughts, am I just fooling myself?

How often do you shave? Perhaps if you were to shave more often you wouldn't have to reduce the stubble with a DE. Nevertheless if you find it more comfortable doing a pass first with the R41, please go ahead and do so. After all, it's shaving, not rocket science.
And yes, if you do get more proficient with an SR you should ultimately be able to do the entire shave with a straight.

I like your process. Everyone's journey is different though. For myself I started by doing a shave with my straight first and then clean up with my Schick Injector. Now I don't usually use anything but the straight. YMMV, either way your doing it, you're working in the right direction. Best wishes!

Matt

with 3/4+ days of growth I get tugging with anything but my Gem SE on the first pass.

if you're getting tugging that hurts off a daily shave, I have wonder about your technique. assuming you're starting with a WTG pass initially that hurts... I don't know. are you maintaining a shallow spine angle? good stretching? about spine's width off your face? not a 30 agree angle like with a DE? good stretching?

you have a viable work around and goal, so I'm just trying to figure out what your specific issue is with a first pass.

I'll be the contrary opinion here... you obviously have time to shave with a straight (we all realize that it takes longer when one is learning) so why not make that first pass with the straight each day? If the results are not good, you can always make a second pass with your DE to tidy up. As your first pass becomes more efficient, you should find that a second pass with your straight becomes quicker and easier (and perhaps with time not even necessary). Making 2 passes each day will speed up the learning process.

If that idea doesn't fit, perhaps you could try shaving with your DE/straight combo during the week and trying to make a couple of passes with your straight on the weekends.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
+1
If you aren't in the military or judged by your shave in the workplace I find it best to just dive in with the straight and not use a DE or cartridge as a before or after mode. When I started back in 2007 with straights and old timer on here gave me that advice and it served me well. I realize that David and I may be in a small minority in a dissenting opinion. All in all its not a race, and in the end do what is comfortable for you. Best wishes on your continued development in the art and practice of straights.
I'll be the contrary opinion here... you obviously have time to shave with a straight (we all realize that it takes longer when one is learning) so why not make that first pass with the straight each day? If the results are not good, you can always make a second pass with your DE to tidy up. As your first pass becomes more efficient, you should find that a second pass with your straight becomes quicker and easier (and perhaps with time not even necessary). Making 2 passes each day will speed up the learning process.

If that idea doesn't fit, perhaps you could try shaving with your DE/straight combo during the week and trying to make a couple of passes with your straight on the weekends.

If you can't jump right into the deep end, for whatever reason, I kind of like the idea of using the DE first. So many times new shavers are preoccupied with whether or not the razor is shaving, or are the results as good as my DE (fyi, they won't be for a while)? So take that stuff out of the equation and just get used to having a naked edge moving against your face without drawing blood seems like a pretty good way to go about learning.

That said, I jumped right into the deep end, head first. But I work from home, and did not have to worry about my shave results.

I agree that diving in head first is probably the quickest way to learn, which is what I did. For me it was faster to do 2 passes with a straight than one with a straight and one with a DE. Too much equipment to get out and clean after use. But as someone else had mentioned, it is not a race. As long as you are still removing hair with your straight pass I think you are doing good. My only other advice is to maybe have someone take a look at your edge. Maybe it isn't as sharp as it could be, which is why you get tugging on the first pass. I know that with my razor, a few weeks after honing I have trouble with 2 or 3 days worth of growth. It shaves well, but I get some tugging.

The main thing is to get an enjoyable shave preferably without cuts. Let it take the time needed and keep a shallow angle.

Some peoples facial hair is not conducive to anything beside the sharpest of blades. Did you you get your straight professionally honed?

Definitely nothing wrong with your method, what I found worked for me was jumping in head first and only using straights for about 2 months, enduring some very sub par shaves for a week or 2, but by the end of the 2 months I had it down pat. Ymmv of course but I believe in this method :)

I did the straight and then cleaned up what was left with a disposable when I started. Over time I got better and ditched the disposable. As others said, do what works for you.

Yes my straihts were professionally honed. But just to make sure I'm having them honed again. Even if they may not need it!

Yes my straihts were professionally honed. But just to make sure I'm having them honed again. Even if they may not need it!

Just stick with it then. I would suggest you try to do the first pass with the straight and see how that works for you. Learning to shave with a straight razor is like learning to shave for the first time; I remember cutting myself learning on a Trac II.

Ok so this is my 1 week check-in on the method I've been using: (to get me shaving with a straight)

1st pass with my R41 and a feather
2nd pass with my straight

1. After 1 week I've been able to do the 1st pass on both cheeks with the straight: both with the grain and across the grain. Sometimes I can do the neck.
2. Still need the safety on the 1st pass on the upper lip, lower lip, chin and sometimes neck.
3. 2nd pass is all Straight.

Problem areas are curve right under chin; still get little stub, any help//suggestions here would be great.

Note I do use an Alum Block to wet my fingers and stretch my skin as I move down and across moving my fingers and thumb with the alum on it just above the area to be shaved.

Thanks

Dave

Top Bottom