What's new

Women & Beards, Elephant in the room.

I think I'm more Sigma than Beta or Alpha. I shave regularly and my wife likes it that way.
Sigma attributes
  • Unresponsive to Authority. Living outside of the social hierarchy greatly limits a sigma male's desire to follow leaders. ...
  • Happy in Solitude. ...
  • Adapts Easily to Change. ...
  • Treats People Equally. ...
  • Quiet and Contemplative. ...
  • Self-Reliant. ...
  • Great Self-Awareness. ...
  • Marches to His Own Beat.

Can you guys call it something other than "circle beard"?
This is the picture I get in my head when I read that.

View attachment 1669856
To distract from the circle beard, may I introduce the double moustache

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 8.31.09 AM.png

Most of them grew up playing video games and watching guys like this kick down doors and think it's cool.

Most of them can't even pull off that look anyway.

This stupid beard culture started at about the same time guys like the one below started showing up in the news and video games.

123.jpg

Firstly, I don’t care what are the current “trends” I despise current trends. Secondly my wife likes me with or without beard so I basically shave because I feel like it’s more superior presentation of myself to be clean shaven as without any care I would have beard so I adjust my look with regular shaving. For me it’s more of the 50s era of true high quality presentation (both men and women). It’s not just about shaving it is about perceiving order and dignity.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think I used to look good in a full beard. Mine came in very nicely.... Trimmed.. I looked like a carpenter.

Fast forward to now... I just turned 70. I've had a grey, white and black beard for a while. I look like an old homeless guy with a beard now. I had shoulder length hair and a full grey beard during Covid. I shaved it off last year in February... got my hair cut short. My barber didn't even recognize me when I showed up.

A few weeks after that, our youngest son got me started on traditional wet shaving.. Over ~ the last year and a half, I've lost close to 80 pounds and am clean shaven... I look the best I've looked in decades... Oh.. and I got new teeth. I can smile again. <eg> evil grin.

I think I used to look good in a full beard. Mine came in very nicely.... Trimmed.. I looked like a carpenter.

Fast forward to now... I just turned 70. I've had a grey, white and black beard for a while. I look like an old homeless guy with a beard now. I had shoulder length hair and a full grey beard during Covid. I shaved it off last year in February... got my hair cut short. My barber didn't even recognize me when I showed up.

A few weeks after that, our youngest son got me started on traditional wet shaving.. Over ~ the last year and a half, I've lost close to 80 pounds and am clean shaven... I look the best I've looked in decades... Oh.. and I got new teeth. I can smile again. <eg> evil grin.
Good for you. A whole new attitude comes from changes like that. Well done!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

As @sternej said, well done my friend. I have a hard time with change, but this is a great one!

I have to start this thread, sincerely by stating that I do intend to offend or trigger anyone or just be a 'pot stirrer'. I'm attempting a serious discussion here. In a culture with an increasing number of young males many of whom vagely categorized as 'Beta' types; It appears that more and more males are opting to grow beards and consciously or not , it seems like this is to attract woman. Quoted from an online journal called 'The Present' January 22, 2020. "A new study found that women perceive men with facial hair to be more attractive as well as physically and socially dominant. Women tend to associate more masculine faces with physical strength, social assertiveness and formidability." Several studies reveal the ever increasing trend toward beards and it looks like the trend will continue to increase. But just a look around show so many males of all ages eschewing the clean shaven look and half the shelf space for shaving products in stores seem to have been repurposed for carrying the huge variety of beard care products. A few years ago I thought that beards were on the way out. I now realize I was wrong and that appealing to clean face shaver's with products of any type may become a niche market. Several questions come to mind: 1) which of the assertions do you agree or disagree with here? 2) What other factors have caused an increase in the popularity of beards? 3) Neck Shavers: With minimal shaving, obviously you're in this group so there's a level of enjoyment or hobby, but is it diminished with shaving only small areas? 4) Any thoughts on where the 'shaving market' is headed? 5) Any other comments welcome please.
For what it's worth, I read that study (if it's the one I'm thinking of), and there are a lot of issues with it. Studies on the topic are difficult to interpret, cultural factors are different from individuals, and cultural trends change.

Also, my hunch is men who are into beards are more into facial hair grooming in general than men who do not. So they're more likely to care about their razors, not less.

I see a tendency around me where younger men (in my personal view) don’t grow beards but grow out their whiskers into something a little more than a five o’clock shadow, but short enough not to get asked to audition for a ZZ Top tribute band. I see it at work as well and I have to admit that I usually find it looking scruffy. The ones that actually groom their beard I truly compliment and ask them how they do it (cart, DE, SE, SR, etcetera). To each his own of course.

As for my LOTH, she likes me clean and even hates it when we up in the morning to be confronted with my sand paper skin. Or is used to be like that, because since DE shaving my sand paper is definitely less due to the closer shaves. I like myself clean as well so that’s a win win.

Guido

For what it's worth, I read that study (if it's the one I'm thinking of), and there are a lot of issues with it. Studies on the topic are difficult to interpret, cultural factors are different from individuals, and cultural trends change.

Also, my hunch is men who are into beards are more into facial hair grooming in general than men who do not. So they're more likely to care about their razors, not less.
I haven't any idea about the study you are referring to. You may be right (although, on surface, it does seem a bit counter intuitive) it is possible that bearded gents care more about their razors. I suppose the neck area is one of the trickiest areas to shave and may drive guys to be particular about their shaving tool

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When I was a wee lad, I asked my father (a solicitor) about beards. It was he who told me "Some people do not like men with beards (facial hair) but nobody dislikes a clean-shaven man".

My father's comment stayed with me through my life. As a professional engineer, one client can mean many tens of thousands of dollars of income for me. Loosing a client because of facial hair is just not on.

The women in my life all prefer me clean-shaven, plus years of conditioning in the Army to shave every day make it a no-brainer. I shave every day,

Top Bottom