What's new

Wolfman WR1-SB Solid Brass

Ok - thats 18 shaves with the WR1-SB brass. Used Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Med Preps and Bolzano Superinox blades. All worked very well. A little rust was appearing on the Bolzano blade after 4 shaves - the second time I noticed that when using Bolzano blades.

The WR1-OC is back out. I'll complete the review of the WR1-SB brass razor after my comparative shave with the WR1-OC loaded with my preferred Gillette Silver Blue.

I look forward to the comparison. Do you still favor the GSB in the brass Wolfman after trying a few others?

I look forward to the comparison. Do you still favor the GSB in the brass Wolfman after trying a few others?

Absolutely, the GSB is my #1 blade, with Personna Med Prep just behind it. The GSB worked well for me in both OC/SB WolfMan razors as well as my 39C. I still have some Feather blades from a sampler, I'll be trying it in the Wolfman OC...

What have you landed on for a blade in your Wolfman razor?

Absolutely, the GSB is my #1 blade, with Personna Med Prep just behind it. The GSB worked well for me in both OC/SB WolfMan razors as well as my 39C. I still have some Feather blades from a sampler, I'll be trying it in the Wolfman OC...

What have you landed on for a blade in your Wolfman razor?

I just ordered another 200 Voskhod to add to my current pack of 100 I've been working on for the past few weeks, if that tells you anything :thumbup:

I shave 5 days a week for work, and on Saturday just because I want to. The Voskhods seem to give me the closest and most comfortable shave without irritating the sensitive areas on my lower neck. So far I've been getting 4 to 5 good shaves with each blade which is what I was getting with Astra SP, so it's a win win for me. I don't know what it is about those blades, they don't "feel" overly sharp but they work very well and I'm always impressed with the results. It's a perfect pairing for me in the Wolfman.

I'll look to add some Voskhod teflon blades next time I order something. I saw Nick Shaves also rated them above average for comfort and a close shave. I also like Wilkinson Sword blades. Like GSB, Wilkinson are PTFE coated - and also very sharp.

I'll look to add some Voskhod teflon blades next time I order something. I saw Nick Shaves also rated them above average for comfort and a close shave. I also like Wilkinson Sword blades. Like GSB, Wilkinson are PTFE coated - and also very sharp.

Yeah I saw that video too. I was kind of chuckling a bit when I watched it because I had used Voskhods for 4 or 5 shaves at that point. My experience with them had been similar to his, wasn't really impressed with the first pass but they really shine in pass 2 and 3. The first few times I used them they didn't really stand out to me, which is odd because every time I shaved with one I remember thinking the result was really great. Been using the exclusively for a couple weeks now and I haven't had a bad shave yet.

I tried a couple of Voskhod blades one time and didn't think they were anything special. But then again, I don't care for Personna med preps, either. Go figure. Blade preferences are really idiosyncratic.

USA CUSTOMS PURGATORY

James shipped my brass WR1-OC on June 4. I tried to be patient and ignore the Canada Post tracking site because I know that US Customs is a mess. I have have things delayed for 3 weeks waiting to get out customs. Temptation got the best of me. As you would expect, the package arrived "in a foreign country" (that would be the USA) 2 days after shipping. Initially I got excited at the June 11 "expected" delivery date. But that was really just a tease. There have been no updates since then. My package remains in limbo.

Here I sit waiting and hoping, and depressed in Florida. :lol:

USA CUSTOMS PURGATORY

James shipped my brass WR1-OC on June 4. I tried to be patient and ignore the Canada Post tracking site because I know that US Customs is a mess. I have have things delayed for 3 weeks waiting to get out customs. Temptation got the best of me. As you would expect, the package arrived "in a foreign country" (that would be the USA) 2 days after shipping. Initially I got excited at the June 11 "expected" delivery date. But that was really just a tease. There have been no updates since then. My package remains in limbo.

Here I sit waiting and hoping, and depressed in Florida. :lol:

Did you check the tracking number at the USPS website? When mine was on its way, the Canada Post website never updated until delivery, but the same tracking number should work on the USPS site for tracking once it clears customs.

After three weeks of using the Brass WR1-SB with custom .74MM blade gap, I went back to my stock Wolfman WR1-OC in stainless.
The WR1-OC was my first Wolfman razor, and it quickly retired other razors in my rotation, including an ATT S2 and Merkur 39C.

Onto the shave:
$FullSizeRender.jpg

Loaded with a fresh GSB, and using Mikes Hungarian Lavender. I am reminded why I like OC designs, the razor does seem to glide more easily across my face than with non OC designs. Perhaps is the lather passing through the OC that helps improve razor head glide. I get along with the WRH3 handle as much as I do with the WRH1 - though the WRH1 does have more grip. The weight difference between the two razors was noticeable (the brass Wolfman is 25 grams + heavier).

In the end, it was a great BBS shave with the WR1-OC. A pass with the alum block highlighted that it was a great shave. I can conclude that my custom WR1-SB Brass with increased blade gap does shave a tad closer than my stainless WR1-OC. However, the stock open comb is slightly more comfortable during the shave, likely due to the less aggressive blade gap and lesser weight (The OC is still a heavy razor at approx 115 grams).

Shave Comfort: Stock SS OC 10 - Custom Brass 9
Shave Closeness: Stock SS OC 9 - Custom Brass 10
Ease of cleaning: Stock SS OC 10 - Custom Brass 9.5
Both razors are very well designed, but I give the brass version the nod for best looking of the two

In the end, both will have a place in my rotation going forward. I plan on visiting James this summer (he's just 3hrs up the road). At this time, I am considering having my SS OC modified to the same blade gap as my custom brass (.74MM), or buying a brass OC head with a .74MM blade gap. When-if James makes a slant, I would go with a .74MM blade gap (If he would still entertain custom modifications).

You cant go wrong with a Wolfman razor. They are well worth the wait...

Did you check the tracking number at the USPS website? When mine was on its way, the Canada Post website never updated until delivery, but the same tracking number should work on the USPS site for tracking once it clears customs.

OMG!!! Great Tip. USPS has it in their gritty hands. It won't be too long now.

OMG!!! Great Tip. USPS has it in their gritty hands. It won't be too long now.

Congrats, I also had that mini-panic attack when mine didn't have any updates on Canada Post either. Someone in the WR1-OC thread suggested trying to track it through USPS and it was scheduled to be delivered the next day.

After three weeks of using the Brass WR1-SB with custom .74MM blade gap, I went back to my stock Wolfman WR1-OC in stainless.
The WR1-OC was my first Wolfman razor, and it quickly retired other razors in my rotation, including an ATT S2 and Merkur 39C.

Onto the shave:
View attachment 578455

Loaded with a fresh GSB, and using Mikes Hungarian Lavender. I am reminded why I like OC designs, the razor does seem to glide more easily across my face than with non OC designs. Perhaps is the lather passing through the OC that helps improve razor head glide. I get along with the WRH3 handle as much as I do with the WRH1 - though the WRH1 does have more grip. The weight difference between the two razors was noticeable (the brass Wolfman is 25 grams + heavier).

In the end, it was a great BBS shave with the WR1-OC. A pass with the alum block highlighted that it was a great shave. I can conclude that my custom WR1-SB Brass with increased blade gap does shave a tad closer than my stainless WR1-OC. However, the stock open comb is slightly more comfortable during the shave, likely due to the less aggressive blade gap and lesser weight (The OC is still a heavy razor at approx 115 grams).

Shave Comfort: Stock SS OC 10 - Custom Brass 9
Shave Closeness: Stock SS OC 9 - Custom Brass 10
Ease of cleaning: Stock SS OC 10 - Custom Brass 9.5
Both razors are very well designed, but I give the brass version the nod for best looking of the two

In the end, both will have a place in my rotation going forward. I plan on visiting James this summer (he's just 3hrs up the road). At this time, I am considering having my SS OC modified to the same blade gap as my custom brass (.74MM), or buying a brass OC head with a .74MM blade gap. When-if James makes a slant, I would go with a .74MM blade gap (If he would still entertain custom modifications).

You cant go wrong with a Wolfman razor. They are well worth the wait...

Great picture and thanks for the comparison Bill. I look forward to your thought if/when you have the chance to try the OC head with .74mm gap. I think from your description the standard blade gap is more suitable for my face, I finding more enjoyment in comfort over absolute closeness as of late.

Besides, my beard grows fast and the stubble is back by the time I get home from work no matter how many extra micrometers closer it might be in the morning, and my wife is the only one who touches my face anyways.

Great picture and thanks for the comparison Bill. I look forward to your thought if/when you have the chance to try the OC head with .74mm gap. I think from your description the standard blade gap is more suitable for my face, I finding more enjoyment in comfort over absolute closeness as of late.

Besides, my beard grows fast and the stubble is back by the time I get home from work no matter how many extra micrometers closer it might be in the morning, and my wife is the only one who touches my face anyways.

I have ordered another OC head with .74MM blade gap. Will update new thread when its in!

My Wolfman Brass WR1 OC arrived at the end of last week. Much to my embarrassment, it arrived in the middle of a blade experiment with my ATT S2. As the experiment is a blinded trial (I am unaware of the blade in my razor. My wife changes the blade every 3 days), it was not the time to try a new razor. The experiment should end next week when I will dive headfirst into the Wolfman OC. Until then, the best I can offer you is a few photos.

Enjoy$DSC02666.jpg$DSC02678.jpg$DSC02680.jpg$DSC02681.jpg$DSC02682.jpg

and a few more for your viewing pleasure. I apologize for the fibers on the underside of the razor. I should have been more careful.$DSC02669.jpg$DSC02683.jpg$DSC02687.jpg

Top Bottom