What's new

Will learning on a shavette help you with a real straight razor?

Sorry about these newbie questions.

Some have said the shavette uses a razor like the single blades in a DE so its not the same feel and technique as a SR. That its best if you have learned on a DE to go to a SR. Start with only using it on your checks, and use your DE for the rest. Once you get comfortable with using a SR with both hands on the checks you can move forward. You can send your razor out every 4-5 months to be sharpened if you like as it not that expensive.

Others have said that the shavette won't cut you as much as a straight razor so it is the best way to learn how to use a real ST with it. Plus if you don't care for it (though I think I would) you did not spend hundreds on a quality SR.

I don’t think the shavette can be considered a “learning” tool for a straight.
You need to learn to shave with whatever shaving system you like. If money is an issue, and you just want to get started by all means try a shavette. If you really want to shave with a straight; go for it. Many try them all i.e. safety, straight and shavette and settle on the system that gives them the best results. As you mentioned you must maintain the edge on a straight, and that is something you must learn to do, or be willing to send out razors to be honed.

It sounds like you already have DE blades on hand so the shavette would be a way to see if you prefer shaving with a “naked” blade, and to see if that system gives you a better shave than what you're currently using.

Both straights and shavettes can and will cut you, until you master the particular system you choose.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I started out with a vintage boker and a feather AC. I shaved with the AC for a couple weeks then came back to the boker and found it much easier to use. The boker didn't shave me quite as close as the AC but I felt much more comfortable with it.

I started with a CJB shavette that uses the Feather Pro style blades. I think it helped a lot when transitioning to a straight razor. The Feather Pro style blades were actually much sharper and less forgiving of any mistake I made making them more difficult to shave with than a straight razor. It will pretty much cut anything you put in front of it so I find the shavettes to be much sharper and the opposite of what you stated in the original post.

When I tried a traditional straight razor I found it to be much more forgiving and the blade somehow it seemed to be able to tell the difference between stubble and skin. It seemed to be a bit easier as I'd already experienced and overcome a bit of the learning process on the shavette. They were still slightly different but a lot of the learning did make it's way over.

With either razor there is a serious learning curve and you won't get a perfect shave for quite a long time. Figure at least a hundred shaves before you start getting some really good shaves and your initial shaves will certainly be well below average.

I think the shavette can be a learning tool for a straight razor as it can help you understand the angle and pressure you need to use as well as how to better understand how to attack the hair growing in different directions on your face. The positive is that you don't need to purchase multiple razors, stones and a strop to try it out and see if it's something you might enjoy. Most of the nicks and cuts I encountered were from trying a new angle to attack some stubborn hairs or from doing something completely stupid.

With a straight razor you'll likely find it much more forgiving but your poor starting technique will kill several edges while you're learning. Learning to strop properly may also be a factor in keeping a nice edge, so you'll have to overcome that as well.

So a shavette is an inexpensive way to get your feet wet and it will give you the feel of a straight razor (sort of). It will likely be less forgiving but you'll eliminate the other factors such as stropping and honing. I find an authentic straight razor to be a much more pleasurable shave and enjoy using them much more than a shavette.

I would encourage the purchase of a shavette as a test to see if you'd enjoy a straight razor. You could purchase an inexpensive one and even sell it on the BST to get back most of what you paid for it if you find it's not for you.

I started with a CJB shavette that uses the Feather Pro style blades. I think it helped a lot when transitioning to a straight razor. The Feather Pro style blades were actually much sharper and less forgiving of any mistake I made making them more difficult to shave with than a straight razor. It will pretty much cut anything you put in front of it so I find the shavettes to be much sharper and the opposite of what you stated in the original post.

When I tried a traditional straight razor I found it to be much more forgiving and the blade somehow it seemed to be able to tell the difference between stubble and skin. It seemed to be a bit easier as I'd already experienced and overcome a bit of the learning process on the shavette. They were still slightly different but a lot of the learning did make it's way over.

With either razor there is a serious learning curve and you won't get a perfect shave for quite a long time. Figure at least a hundred shaves before you start getting some really good shaves and your initial shaves will certainly be well below average.

I think the shavette can be a learning tool for a straight razor as it can help you understand the angle and pressure you need to use as well as how to better understand how to attack the hair growing in different directions on your face. The positive is that you don't need to purchase multiple razors, stones and a strop to try it out and see if it's something you might enjoy. Most of the nicks and cuts I encountered were from trying a new angle to attack some stubborn hairs or from doing something completely stupid.

With a straight razor you'll likely find it much more forgiving but your poor starting technique will kill several edges while you're learning. Learning to strop properly may also be a factor in keeping a nice edge, so you'll have to overcome that as well.

So a shavette is an inexpensive way to get your feet wet and it will give you the feel of a straight razor (sort of). It will likely be less forgiving but you'll eliminate the other factors such as stropping and honing. I find an authentic straight razor to be a much more pleasurable shave and enjoy using them much more than a shavette.

I would encourage the purchase of a shavette as a test to see if you'd enjoy a straight razor. You could purchase an inexpensive one and even sell it on the BST to get back most of what you paid for it if you find it's not for you.

Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it. If you saw my other post, I have my great grandfathers straight razor that was recently given to me. I am going to have it professionally honed and just try it with down strokes on my cheeks and use my DE for the rest. Once I get comfortable, I am thinking about then using it on other areas. WOW 100 shaves before you get comfortable. That is a long time.

I've never tried a shavette, I went straight from DE to exclusively straights for a while, and I agree with the previous poster that straights are somewhat more forgiving than you would think. I think you would learn the quickest by diving in with the real thing, maybe get it professionally honed first and get yourself a good strop, and to allow yourself some subpar shaves and you'll get it before you know it :)

There's no need to go with a shavette unless you just like shavette's (I don't). I had one however. I didn't like it and it is harder to use than a straight.

It's not 100 shaves before you are comfortable. Or rather you will not be uncomfortable for 99 shaves. It's 100 shaves before you have it completely down. From the beginning you can use the straight until you get to the parts of your face that are starting to make you uncomfortable and then just use a DE for those.

You gradually get so that you aren't using a DE anymore. You may not get a totally smooth shave on your chin for a while. By 100 shaves everything falls into place.

A "quality" razor isn't hundred's of dollars. A $20 vintage razor is a quality razor. That's all I shave with (vintage razors).

There's no need to go with a shavette unless you just like shavette's (I don't). I had one however. I didn't like it and it is harder to use than a straight.

It's not 100 shaves before you are comfortable. Or rather you will not be uncomfortable for 99 shaves. It's 100 shaves before you have it completely down. From the beginning you can use the straight until you get to the parts of your face that are starting to make you uncomfortable and then just use a DE for those.

You gradually get so that you aren't using a DE anymore. You may not get a totally smooth shave on your chin for a while. By 100 shaves everything falls into place.

A "quality" razor isn't hundred's of dollars. A $20 vintage razor is a quality razor. That's all I shave with (vintage razors).

+1 that a quality razor does not need to be expensive! A sight unseen from Whipped Dog will have a quality shaving edge that you won't be afraid to use and learn with. My most expensive straight was only $60 (vintage)

+1 that a quality razor does not need to be expensive! A sight unseen from Whipped Dog will have a quality shaving edge that you won't be afraid to use and learn with. My most expensive straight was only $60 (vintage)

I have 13 straights and two were about $35 and the rest were under $20.

The nicest one is a Crown and Sword (top of the ERN line). It looks almost new. It's a 6/8 with blond bone scales and bolsters. It looks like it was hardly used. It was just under $35 including shipping.

my Feather and Kai shavettes give me the absolute closest and most comfortable shaves, bar none!

$eves rose goat milk soap feather rudy vey thayers trumpers coral skin october 14 2014s.jpg

Sorry about these newbie questions.

Some have said the shavette uses a razor like the single blades in a DE so its not the same feel and technique as a SR. That its best if you have learned on a DE to go to a SR. Start with only using it on your checks, and use your DE for the rest. Once you get comfortable with using a SR with both hands on the checks you can move forward. You can send your razor out every 4-5 months to be sharpened if you like as it not that expensive.

Others have said that the shavette won't cut you as much as a straight razor so it is the best way to learn how to use a real ST with it. Plus if you don't care for it (though I think I would) you did not spend hundreds on a quality SR.

I think using a shavette is harder because the blade is rigid and less forgiving. But I understand the economics of purchasing not only the true straight but the stopping and honing equipment. So, if you're not sure you want to do this permanently, I'd try the shavette.

Let me say that I was sure I wanted to be a straight razor shaver, so I bought all the straight razor accessories up front. 2017 makes 7 years that I have been a true straight user.

I think you make an important point that the 100 shave learning curve is not everyone's experience. It took you considerably less time to get comfortable. Frankly it took me longer, but I was so enthusiastic about it that I didn't mind.

Tried a Universal Shavette and did not care for it but it used DE blades and felt awkward, this was and has been my only exposure to a shavette style razor, i have been using a straight for just over two years and have been super happy !!!

Top Bottom