What's new

Will a magnetic knife rack injure a knife?

I do like those Mag Blocks. That's exactly what I had in mind to make, but of course those are most likely nicer than what I'd come up with on my own. I'll have to see if even the 12" one will fit where I've got in mind to put it, though (the side of a cabinet; I'm not sure that cabinet is that deep).

IMHO, the best thing that you can do is keep knives out of the dishwasher and away from Wife II, who like Wife I will automatically confuse a good kitchen knife with a Leatherman.

If there ever is a Wife II, she will undergo rigorous testing before permanent installation.

First off, I have a magnetic strip for our larger Henckels knives and I love it. We bought it from a specialty cooking store in one of our malls called Le Gourmet Chef. It is very strong and I have never had a problem with knives falling.

If you prefer a block, but don't want the germs, there is the Kapoosh Universal Block. It has a removable, plastic insert which has fibers that hold any knife in place. You can put them into the block in any order. The insert is also dishwasher safe, so you can clean it easily.

Rob

If you prefer a block, but don't want the germs....Rob

Is it a question of cleanliness that dissuades people from using blocks? Whenever I'm finished using a knife, I rinse it in water and wipe it dry with a towel, then slide it back in the block. I can't imagine sliding a dirty knife in the block.

I got a mag block last year and, where previously my knives would get blunt quite quickly despite how much care I took of them, now they stay much sharper for much longer.

I have Global, Sabatier, some hand crafted blades and some ordinary knives, big and small. It is certainly the safest way to store them in my kitchen too (they're above the back of the cooker).

However, they are all quite magnetized now. It doesn't seem to be an issue, but I would be interested in hearing if anyone has encountered problems with knives because of magnetism, whether it weakens the blades or anything.

I probably won't change it, as it is so much safer and easier, but out of interest all the same.

Doubt magnetized blades would have any issues, might make them work with a steel a bit better! :tongue_sm

I do a lot of wood turning and magnetic tool holders are always a hot topic on the forums. Some users complain after using a mag block for a while the tools pick up enough magnetism you can't slide them on the tool rest. I kept some rarely used tools on a mag block for a few years and didn't notice more difficulty using them.

I like the magnetic strip. As someone else mentioned, get into the habit of twisting the knife off towards the spine and you won't damage the edge. If you get a good-quality strip it'll hold your knives plenty securely so that they'll be safe.

I'm glad someone brought this topic back from the dead otherwise I would never have know about the benchcraft products

Someone mentioned the cheap magnetic strip from Ikea. I bought one of those when I moved into my current house a few years ago. An excellent bit of kit for a few quid.

Hadn't seen the wooden ones though! Nice.

Mine is fixed on a cabinet that hides the central heating boiler next to my main work surface. Very suprised to see a photo of knives on a rack blade downwards though! Mine are all blade up so the handles are about head height for me. Almost no danger of grabbing a blade by mistake or catching a hand on them! Not that I'd ever grab an evilly sharp knife without looking!

Magnetises the blade? Can't see that as a problem as I don't use my good knives to stab cans and I don't eat metal food!

Gareth

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nothing wrong with magnetized blades. I can use the steel plate in my head as an extra hand.

First. Sorry about your marriage! I cannot imagine putting a good knife in the dishwasher! :w00t:

Second. We keep our knives in a wooden block. This has worked well as some of our knives are now 40 years old! So that is my preference.
However, I see no problem with using a magnetic rack so long as the magnets are strong enough.

Best of luck with your knives and your new lifestyle!

I was wondering when this thread would get moved out of the Speakeasy....

I have a wooden (bamboo) magnetic block that I got on Amazon for <$20. It has 5 or 6 magnets embedded in the wooden bar. They are under the surface of the wood, so it won't mar blade finishes. Works pretty well. Only minus is that the magnets are a little weak -- the knives don't fall off, but they can slide down off the block if stored like in the product picture. Granted that only happens with my bigger knives -- a 10" chef's knife, 190mm Santuku and a chinese cleaver (which I can keep from sliding by putting it over two magnet spaces due to its width.)However it works just find when I store my knives handle up (opposite of the product photo) so if they do slip, the bolster/handles keep them from sliding off.

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Houseware-2404-12-Magnetic/dp/B001J5XHK0

proxy.php

I have used a magnetic block for 15 years now. Works great. The knives, Henkel, global, spyderco are close at hand and if they have become magnetized it causes no issues. We did not have room for a counter top block so the magnetic one is on the end of a cabinet right above the counter. Saved space an readily available. Small people can't reach them.

dont magnets keep your blade sharper? or is that pyramids?

I forge my knives out of a single piece of virgin steel that I smelt myself. My guests can really taste the difference in the food I prepare than the crappy steak knives they use. The blades make the sound of angels singing as it effortlessly cuts through the food...
If you don't smelt and forge your own knives you might as well be preparing Mcdonalds dollar menu.

I've used a magnetic block for 5+ years. As long as your don't put the sharp edge into the strip first you'll never have any problems. The metal is MUCH softer on the strip than the knifes.

Top Bottom