What's new

Why World Cup/Soccer isn't popular in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread isn't about you, my friend.

I never said it was about me. You used an example of a US soccer team losing a game to Ivory Coast and that that was upsetting to Americans. I cannot fathom any Americans being upset at that loss, and that is what I meant.

I do not know a single American who would care about that loss.

When the US wins the World Cup or advances to the final game, soccer will really take off. We will start believing we will win and coalesce around that. It will most likely not be successful here until then.

I do not believe this for a moment. Americans will care for 24 hours at most, and move on.

Last edited:
So, you're basically saying that there is no way in the future, at any point, that soccer will take off in the United States? It's completely out of the question?

Have you seen what's happened to baseball? It's the complete opposite. People used to go NUTS over baseball. It was America's past time. The players were heroes. There are still some people who LOVE baseball, but can you honestly say that its popularity has not waned?

Rap music. Rap music used to have a small following. Now it dominates the Billboard charts. It took time for it to reach that level, though.

You're saying that with the influx of Latin Americans (who follow soccer above all other sports) and an improvement in the U.S. international game, that it will never have a passionate following in the United States. Ever? Never ever?

I think it's already more popular than it was in '94 when the U.S. hosted the World Cup. There is much more media coverage now than back then.

But you're using your own life as a reference. YOU don't know anyone who would care. YOU and the people YOU know don't care. Maybe YOU never will. I can't stand baseball. I think it's about as exciting as turning over a nearly empty tube of maple syrup and watching it drip onto a paper plate. For four hours. But I am aware that it has a following and that, as I said before, some people LOVE it.

I was living in NYC during the last World Cup and there was definitely a following here - fans in bars, people wearing jerseys on the street. No, it wasn't like the Super Bowl, but it was bigger than it was 12 years before that. It may take time, but I think it will only grow in popularity. Maybe it will never top football or baseball or even basketball or, God forbid, hockey, but I don't think it's going to go backwards or remain inert.

Most third world folks living in America are loyal to the soccer team of their native country. I don't see that as a good thing, or as translating into soccer taking off in the US.

Baseball set all time attendance records the last year or two.

Minor league baseball has never been more popular, with dozens of new ballparks across America. That is fact.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm losing interest in this, because you're being stubborn.

http://www.mls-daily.com/2010/03/2010-mls-attendance.html

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/synthet...-states-to-pass-basketball-and-hockey-in-2009

I'm not promoting it at all. I don't care if it takes off here or not. I honestly don't even follow US soccer. The thread was about why it's not popular here and I attempted to explain why I think it's not popular and then suggested that it will grow in popularity.

You are obstinately stating that it will never grow in popularity based on the fact that you don't like it. As the other guy said, you're not contributing anything constructive to the argument one way or another. Condensed, your comments are, "I don't like soccer. No one I know likes soccer. It will never be popular here."

I'm losing interest in this, because you're being stubborn.

http://www.mls-daily.com/2010/03/2010-mls-attendance.html

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/synthet...-states-to-pass-basketball-and-hockey-in-2009

I'm not promoting it at all. I don't care if it takes off here or not. I honestly don't even follow US soccer. The thread was about why it's not popular here and I attempted to explain why I think it's not popular and then suggested that it will grow in popularity.

You are obstinately stating that it will never grow in popularity based on the fact that you don't like it. As the other guy said, you're not contributing anything constructive to the argument one way or another. Condensed, your comments are, "I don't like soccer. No one I know likes soccer. It will never be popular here."

You posted as if baseball attendance and the popularity of baseball has been in major decline. I responded to this by pointing to record attendance and the immense popularity of minor league ball. I corrected your errors

...you're not contributing anything constructive...

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom