What's new

Why do TTO "Butterfly" razors appeal to so many?

I see a lot of people really hung up on finding the best TTO Butterfly razor. I sort of understand the adjustability feature on many but, the larger heads on them seem to be something I wouldn't like. For someone like myself that wants something nimble for around my nose and the corners of my mouth, I have a hard time understanding this style of razor.

Then there are the issues I see about people with doors that won't close, handles that rattle, and various loose parts. Sure, if I drop my Edwin Jagger DE89, I'll probably bend or break something but, for $25 or less, a new head is easy to buy from any of several sources. If all you do is strip the threads on the top cap, that is only ~$8 at many shops.

What am I missing? There must be a reason why the TTO Butterfly razor fans are so devoted to a razor like that or, perhaps I am just biased toward a classic 3-piece head.

I don't get the appeal of two-piece razors with the long shaft down to the end of the handle that tightens and loosens the top cap on those similar razors either. The heads however, pretty closely match their 3-piece cousins but, there are zero options to customize them with a new handle.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a couple of TTO razors, a Red Tip and a Slim, and also a two piece Eclipse and Gillette New #77, but I generally prefer the simplicity of a three piece. To me the TTO was the first step in an unnecessary process by Gillette which culminated in absurd heated razors with 5 blades and a lube strip.

I believe one of the selling points of the "super speed" was the ease of blade changing.

The more moving parts the more prone to errors... TTO razors were a great possibility for market making, I mean generating demand. However I do appreciate the engineering and I very much like my Fatboys as art of engineering.

With needing to change a razor blade every 3 to 7 days, I personally don't see that being an advantage versus cleaning out the head every day.

Marketing makes sense for the mass market public but, not for a real razor fan IMHO. For someone buying a razor like they do a toothbrush or some deodorant, probably good marketing but, for someone who looks a bit deeper there should be more to it.

Disassembly for cleaning junk out so it moves smoothly, or at all, would be a real turn-off for me as well.

I see a lot of people really hung up on finding the best TTO Butterfly razor. I sort of understand the adjustability feature on many but, the larger heads on them seem to be something I wouldn't like. For someone like myself that wants something nimble for around my nose and the corners of my mouth, I have a hard time understanding this style of razor.

Then there are the issues I see about people with doors that won't close, handles that rattle, and various loose parts. Sure, if I drop my Edwin Jagger DE89, I'll probably bend or break something but, for $25 or less, a new head is easy to buy from any of several sources. If all you do is strip the threads on the top cap, that is only ~$8 at many shops.

What am I missing? There must be a reason why the TTO Butterfly razor fans are so devoted to a razor like that or, perhaps I am just biased toward a classic 3-piece head.

I don't get the appeal of two-piece razors with the long shaft down to the end of the handle that tightens and loosens the top cap on those similar razors either. The heads however, pretty closely match their 3-piece cousins but, there are zero options to customize them with a new handle.
They are remarkably cool and, considering the massive production numbers, the Gillette TTO's have a very low failure rate. I have never seen a broken Gillette TTO mechanism, although that may suggest I should get out more.

The later, post 1961 TTO heads have a significantly lower profile than the 1940's and 1950's TTO heads. This was first evidenced in the Gillette Slim head which transferred to the 1960's Super Speed and other Gillette TTO types.

The Notched centre bar, the TTO mechanism and the new 'Speedpak' blade dispenser from 1948 all contributed to a hands free, arguably safer and more speedy blade loading and shaving experience. This was probably the first glimmerings of Gillette's take on the cartridge system, together with the fascinating but flawed Techmatic from the same year. Remember Schick had pioneered and matured a workable 'cartridge' blade system for some 20 years before this.

Here is the first fully developed Super Speed with all elements in place.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Easier loading and less chance of cutting yourself.
😯 I don't recall ever cutting myself loading a DE blade in my 3-piece razors after over a decade of use. The closest I have come is peeling a fingerprint without any blood loss when cleaning a top cap with a razor blade loaded which is totally on me, not the blade.

The 2 piece razors are not as customizable as a 3 piece razor, but they have one advantage over the 3 piece zamak razors. If you drop a 3 piece zamak razor and it hits on the corner or end of the baseplate, then all of the force of the impact is concentrated on the cap's threaded post, mainly where it's attached to the cap. Breakage at that one weak point is common. Guess how I know.

If you drop a 2 piece zamak razor, that baseplate is bonded to the handle, so the force of the impact is split between that joint and the post-to-cap joint, and the razor is less likely to break.

If the razor head is made of brass or steel, that advantage pretty much disappears.
And if you're not as clumsy as I am, then it's a moot point anyway.

What I don’t understand are the threads questioning why people like what they like. I enjoy all creatures great and small. I like variety. They may not be what I reach for everyday but, I get great shaves from my Gillette and Schick TTO’s. I have no doubt it was good marketing way back when but, it’s 2023. I find an old razor, I try it, I like it or I don’t. I get the nimble concern but, for me, under my nose I just go against the grain for that 1/16 of an inch. To each their own.

Happy shaves

I’ll play devil’s advocate: why are 3 piece razors so popular, when they are the most cumbersome type of razor ever made to load and unload, relatively speaking?

Straight: open and shave
SE: open, load, close, shave
TTO: open, load, close, shave
Cart: load, shave
Disposable: shave

3-piece: dry your hands; unscrew the handle; set the handle down- make sure it doesn’t roll off the sink; set the head upside down in one hand; take the base plate off with the other hand; set the base plate down somewhere; load the blade on the cap; remember where you set the base plate down; put the base plate on the cap w/blade; remember where you laid the handle down; screw the handle back on; flip the razor over and fiddle with the alignment (varies by razor); tighten up the handle; check blade alignment again; shave

Gee, I dunno why TTOs were so popular for 40 years, when guys just wanted to get through a morning shave as fast as possible…

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

The razor manufactures where always looking to make it appealing to potential new customers that TTO model razor was the razor to own. Lots of folks might not know this but Gem MicroMatic open comb was the first mass produced razor in the world in 1930 and Gillette was like 3 years or 4 years behind this razor before the public had access to them. The engineering into twist to open comb(TTO) is amazing on the Micromatic razors, they used a rack and pinion screw concept and it was built to last many generations and are made of brass.
Rumor had it that Gillette tried to take GEM (ASR) to court to slow its introduction into the public domain or at least slow it down so their new TTO razors could be introduced . They are 2 totally different razors in the first place but competition or greed works in mysterious ways.
Gem sold 100's of thousands of their TTO Micromatics before Gillette had theirs for sale but Gillette made up time with great marketing and produced 10's of millions of TTO razors.

(Brass Micromatic photo below)This was the first version mass produced TTO Micromatic razor 1930-32 +(1933-41 for Version 2)> that could take the new double edge blades. Gem introduced their DE blades around the same time Gillette introduced their NEW double edge blade design that we use to this day.
The Micromatic TTO 1930-32 models where mostly just brass and built to last. Safest blade to load and unload.
Gem Micromatic bumpless1930-32 (2).jpg

(Micromatic Version #2 photo below )This is the Micromatic open comb TTO 1933-41 that could take the new Gem double edge Blades.(click photo to in large)
Gem Micromatic open comb 1932-41(2).jpg
Gem Double edge blades..jpg

The Gem 1912 models and the Gem Micromatic razors took AmericanSafetyRazor Corp through the dirty 1930's great depression to survive where a lot of other razor manufactures where not so lucky. TTO Innovation can have rewards.
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom