What's new

Why do older vintage razors develop cracks?

I got a couple of junked Gillettes for free, the brass ones with split handles that fell apart. I have a couple of them that have multiple cracks running down the tube, both have cracks that have run completely down the whole handle causing the tube to separate and the end caps to fall off. By looking at it, I can't seem to see a seam weld in the handle, but doesn't mean it isn't there, also since there were multiple cracks in different places in the handle, leads me to believe it doesn't necessarily follow any seam line. Also the end caps don't have any threads on them, same with the handle tubing, they aren't threaded. So like somebody mentioned, they are probably press to fit. Maybe they applied some kind of adhesive, then pressed the end caps on under high pressure to clamp them on.

My theory is, the handle is also a bit on the thin side and maybe the end caps were made out of a different grade of brass than the handle. Over time with temperature changes and during manufacturing when the handle was probably heated up a lot to fit the handle together with the end caps, the rate of expansion of the different metals caused the handle to split. I.e., the end caps expand faster than the center handle part that has a slower rate of expansion. Since the end caps expand more, this puts pressure on the center tube handle which expands at a slower rate and causes so much pressure on the ends, it splits open. Kind of like if you fill a class bottle with water right to the top, put a cap on it, put it outside in winter, the glass shatters. The ice expands, has nowhere to go, so the pressure inside causes the glass to give way, cracking the bottle.

Gabe --that's a pretty classic handle crack. :blush: Guess I was wrong, I just didn't think the Merkurs had the problem... :crying:

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom