What's new

Why did you start shaving with a DE safety razor?

Why did you start shaving with a DE safety razor?

• Save money vs using cartridges

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • Comfort - avoid razor burn/bumps

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • Nostalgia - Dad/Grandfather etc got me started

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Closer shave

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 35 31.0%

• Total voters
Me too. Start DE shaving they said, you'll save money they said.
But also never getting a real good shave with a cart. Had my dads super slim twist which I still have and started looking into an adjustable. Fell straight into the rabbithole and am now slowly crawling back out after buying the Muhle Rocca 94. It has been a fun ride.

I started for comfort.

I had serious problems with ingrowns and hoped that a safety razor would be the answer. I think a lot of my problems were also due to bad technique with a cartridge razor, as nobody had ever taught me to use one and I was shaving ATG on the neck.

Even so, I do (very) occassionally still use a cart and though my shaving technique is a million miles better than it was in those days, it is still capable of giving me ingrowns, whilst also not achieving a particularly decent shave.

I get good shaves with cartridge razors, but it seemed to me that per-cartridge prices were pretty expensive compared to buying DE blades. The other thing I dislike about cartridge razors is the clogging. (Oh, how I hate the clogging!) I saw a social media ad for the Henson razor and was intrigued. I didn't get a Henson (I got a Van Der Hagen instead), but now I use DE razors and get even better shaves now than I did with carts. I also get fewer ingrown hairs and my DE razors don't clog.

Started because I was tired of disposables, cartridges, electric options. The expense and the results.

Started out cost effective. Weishi and Kiss My Face Mint shaving cream (Trader Joe's version when they had an unscented) and no brush, and a variety pack of the lesser expensive blades.

The price now I can say would have been less even buying expensive cartridges.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I wasn't satisfied with either rotary or foil shavers, but also found Gillette cartridge razors to be kinda unhygienic and a money grab.

My first attempts with a Mühle R89 weren't giving me the best results, but then I tried the R41 and used it for years. Close shave, money saved, my favorite blade was the Polsilver Super Iridium (my username is derived from that) Then I discovered Badger & Blade and added a cupboard full of fancy razors.

I got into it out of curiosity more than anything.

My grandfather switched to carts long before I was born and my dad never used a traditional safety razor. In fact my dad talked about them like they were these clunky old things that would nick and cut your face like it was nothing.

I'd started out on cheap disposables but had developed a curiosity towards the old razors, I'd seen them in antique stores all the time and they had always peaked my interest.

So finally when I was around 16 I ended up buying an old Gillette Aristocrat and an OC Gem Micromatic from the local antique market and picked up some blades for them both at an old local drug store. Took them home, tried both out and was very pleased with how wonderful the shave was.

I've been shaving that way ever since and my collection of vintage razors has grown considerably.

20230827_133747.jpg

The razors that started it all.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The other thing I dislike about cartridge razors is the clogging. (Oh, how I hate the clogging!)
Oh Yeah! Absolutely! I also always felt they are dirty and silly in design and haptically, didn't like the plastics. I got that idea that one sharp blade should actually be enough.

Maybe I will get into this straight razor thing later. But before I still have to discover single edge artist club blades and razors... :)

Speed, original at 16 my amazing dad taught me how to shave with a straight edge. I recommend it to anyone with the passion & patience to learn some advanced skills ( * pull the skin tight to start). Little analogy to me, it is like learning how to drive back in the day. Learn with the stick first ( manual) and automatic later. Now why speed, with a demanding job, super wife, four great young adults, four sweet sisters, one tough brother, checking in on my wildly elderly parents (still active and sharp)! Time flies fast....Transitioned to DE's easily, my late 20's again for a speedier shave (slant start)...Don't get me wrong, I do not rush it and I always enjoy it.... So Please All, Enjoy your Family ( & Friends) but do it with a fun clean shave! Cheers BFX.

Wrong. There were numerous Gem style single edge razors made by ASR as well as Schick, Pal and Personna injector razors. Also, Valet Autostrop and Rolls Razors single edge razors and several other small manufacturers. There were many, many single edge options available besides DE or straight razors.

Well I am only commenting on what was available where I lived, most in neighborhood drug stores. My cousin owned two drug store in San Fernando Valley on Ventura Boulevard. I worked in on Saturdays for years stocking, and restocking. He only sold DE Blades, and DE Shavers. Barber supply sold both DE's, and straights.

We did not have online, or Internet sales, this was back in day when you did have only catalogue sales. Places like BullGoose, or Italian Barber were not around.

Well I am only commenting on what was available where I lived, most in neighborhood drug stores. My cousin owned two drug store in San Fernando Valley on Ventura Boulevard. I worked in on Saturdays for years stocking, and restocking. He only sold DE Blades, and DE Shavers. Barber supply sold both DE's, and straights.

We did not have online, or Internet sales, this was back in day when you did have only catalogue sales. Places like BullGoose, or Italian Barber were not around.
Gotcha. Hard to believe there wasn’t a drugstore in the area that didn’t at least offer the Schick injector.

Gotcha. Hard to believe there wasn’t a drugstore in the area that didn’t at least offer the Schick injector.

Well my cousin was capitalism he only sold what made him most money. Have good friend who was manager., with Walgreens, now his son is also a Walgreens. Len said entire business model is changing, many item they use to carry are going. Prescription is where money is, and many Walgreens have use some of their square footage to build urgent cares. Why because it is good for prescription biz.

Top Bottom