What's new

Who is Col. Ichabod Conk?

What about Col. Mustard?

in the bathroom with a straight razor!!!!

proxy.php

col. conk is most famous for losing a fist fight in the local town square against col. sanders..... apparently the fight resulted from the 2 men hurling insults at each other... the first blow was thrown when conk called sanders a "chicken plucker"...

Man, I always heard that blows began after Col. Conk yelled "What's the matter Col. Sanders? CHICKEN?"
Popeye's is better than KFC? Seriously, when Katrina hit how long were you held under water?:sad::sad::sad: ............JR

It's a proven fact that Popeye's is better than KFC. Proven by science, facts, and the laws of thermydygreasetraps. Better crust, better chickens, better flavor, and the founder was known to throw punches in nice restaurants at people he was feuding with, on occasion. Yeah, Popeye's packs a punch.

Last edited:
Though I cannot be certain, it is quite possible, likely even, that "Col. Ichabod Conk" is an entirely fabricated personality, a comic character created for the purpose of promoting shaving products. I assume he was made a pauper by fighting on the losing (Confederate) side of the war?

"Ichabod" means "inglorious" in Hebrew; "inglorious" is an adjective referring to actions causing shame and dishonor. Who would give a child such a name? The only other notable "person" outside of the Bible to have borne the name is another fictitious character, "Ichabod Crane" from Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". "Conk" is similarly absurd and creates a memorable alliteration, "Colonel Conk". "Conk" means to break down (e.g., a machine) or to faint or go to sleep (e.g., a person).

Whatever the case, "Ichabod Conk" is a perfectly ridiculous name for an officer, and I believe it is intentionally so: a mocking stereotype of the humiliated, incompetent Rebel.

Colonel "Inglorious Breakdown".

C'mon you guys, someone is pulling your leg!

There is one born every minute (or second), or so it seems, especially on shaving forums. I have noticed a lot of macho guys who have "an interest in history" really have no such interest at all. Historians research things; they are scholarly drudges who check and recheck facts. They generally do not watch the Superbowl or dream about teats.

This is a 19th-century joke, or at the very least, a 19th-century style joke.

Someone would have to be a fool to believe this was a real person. If it was a real person, it was someone who most likely assumed the name (and likely also the rank!) for comic and commercial purposes.

Though I cannot be certain, it is quite possible, likely even, that "Col. Ichabod Conk" is an entirely fabricated personality, a comic character created for the purpose of promoting shaving products. I assume he was made a pauper by fighting on the losing (Confederate) side of the war?

"Ichabod" means "inglorious" in Hebrew; "inglorious" is an adjective referring to actions causing shame and dishonor. Who would give a child such a name? The only other notable "person" outside of the Bible to have borne the name is another fictitious character, "Ichabod Crane" from Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". "Conk" is similarly absurd and creates a memorable alliteration, "Colonel Conk". "Conk" means to break down (e.g., a machine) or to faint or go to sleep (e.g., a person).

Whatever the case, "Ichabod Conk" is a perfectly ridiculous name for an officer, and I believe it is intentionally so: a mocking stereotype of the humiliated, incompetent Rebel.

Colonel "Inglorious Breakdown".

C'mon you guys, someone is pulling your leg!

There is one born every minute (or second), or so it seems, especially on shaving forums. I have noticed a lot of macho guys who have "an interest in history" really have no such interest at all. Historians research things; they are scholarly drudges who check and recheck facts. They generally do not watch the Superbowl or dream about teats.

This is a 19th-century joke, or at the very least, a 19th-century style joke.

Someone would have to be a fool to believe this was a real person. If it was a real person, it was someone who most likely assumed the name (and likely also the rank!) for comic and commercial purposes.

Since I cannot edit this post for reasons beyond my comprehension (there is no little pencil icon upon which to click), I will add the following: the name is along the lines of "Thomas Jefferson Snodgrass" or "Epaminondes Adrastus K. Blab".

Not just any person is was or can be a Colonel. He was in the shaving business for 31 years so he must have been a well crafted master of shaving. He was the one with the idea of mass producing their own goods to sell and in those times goods were well produced and durable. He became wealthy so must have been a good product at the time. Just remember the story of Blue Jeans like Wrangler or Levi Strauss created during gold mining days. It wasn't that his wife just named some stuff after him. He must have been an enterprising mind like Colonel Sanders!

col. conk is most famous for losing a fist fight in the local town square against col. sanders..... apparently the fight resulted from the 2 men hurling insults at each other... the first blow was thrown when conk called sanders a "chicken plucker"...

My hunch is that Colonel Sanders thoroughly battered Colonel Conk. I bet they took him away in pieces, in a bucket.

My guess was always somebody like VDH; the pucks are identical in shape and packaging - which wouldn't mean much, save for the fact that you don't see any other soaps packaged like VDH and Conk.

So the legend isn't exactly inspiring... they still make some good, cheap stuff.

Got Col. Conk soaps for Christmas, Amber, Almond and BR, I normally use Cella and VDH soaps , so I compared. VDH has a mild smell to ware Conks Amber and Almond is fairly strong, BR not so much. Comparing lather using the same brush, VDH builds a great lather but Col. conk builds a better lather that is slightly slicker but lasts about the same. Price, VDH is $3.49 at Walmart, Col. Conk is 5.50 at WCS.
I just think that both companies (Like Others) have their products (not only soaps) made in China or other countries with their recipe, design and logo

What I read is that VDH does their own mixing, just north of Austin, TX. Not China. (I'm certain that most of the rest of their stuff is Chinese, just not the soap itself)

What I read is that VDH does their own mixing, just north of Austin, TX. Not China. (I'm certain that most of the rest of their stuff is Chinese, just not the soap itself)

Rechecked my info and found that they do make there own soaps and maybe others.

Top Bottom