What's new

Who got a "Goose?

Super Pro blades came in today. Hoping for a better shave this evening!

**Edit**
Figured since it would allow me to edit the post still, I would update about my shave. With the Super Professionals, I got a much better shave. However, with that said, it wasn't as spectacular as I was hoping. Acceptable, but I'm afraid this won't be replacing my R41. Truly a shame because it is obviously a much higher quality razor. Hopefully Mongoose eventually offers some other iterations of this razor, so maybe I can try again down the line!

Last edited:
I am about 40 shaves in with this razor using Kai mild. I find the first few shaves a little rough but then settles down for me. The one thing i have noticed is that blades do not click into place for me. It's almost like the tolerances are off a hair so that i need to eyeball the gap between the blade and the top cap to make sure its balanced at either hand. Not sure if anyone else has come across this?
john

Super Pro blades came in today. Hoping for a better shave this evening!

**Edit**
Figured since it would allow me to edit the post still, I would update about my shave. With the Super Professionals, I got a much better shave. However, with that said, it wasn't as spectacular as I was hoping. Acceptable, but I'm afraid this won't be replacing my R41. Truly a shame because it is obviously a much higher quality razor. Hopefully Mongoose eventually offers some other iterations of this razor, so maybe I can try again down the line!

Give it more time. 5 days in with your 1st SE is not enough time to perfect technique.

It wasn't a technique issue as I got a good enough shave with the Super Pros, actually comparable to what I get with my R41. It was just a compatibility issue, and a money issue. For as much as it costs, I expected it to be much better instantly. My R41 was fantastic for me the first time I used it, and every time since, so I expect that out of any other razors I buy. The Mongoose is a solid razor, just not for me! Either way, it is en route to another member who has wanted to try one out. Surely he will show up in this thread again.

I sold the Mongoose to jtyson as it was not comparable to my everyday shaver Cobra....I tried Feather Professional, Super and Kai blades with a 2 week + trial. Extremely well made...did not shave nearly as well as Cobra FOR ME.

Jeff

Ok, I have the Mongoose on route to me so hopefully the third time is a charm for this one. Jtyson was kind enough to mail it right away so it should get here in Monday's mail and I should be using it for my Tuesday morning shave. I've been wanting to try this razor for a while so now I'll get my chance.

I've already tried the Cobra Classic and King Cobra razors so far but I just can't talk myself into spending that much on a razor that's not made of stainless steel even though the King Cobra was one of the best razors I've ever tried shave wise if not the very best.

I'll share my thoughts here once I give it a go.

Good Luck, hope it works very well for you.

Ok, I have the Mongoose on route to me so hopefully the third time is a charm for this one. Jtyson was kind enough to mail it right away so it should get here in Monday's mail and I should be using it for my Tuesday morning shave. I've been wanting to try this razor for a while so now I'll get my chance.

I've already tried the Cobra Classic and King Cobra razors so far but I just can't talk myself into spending that much on a razor that's not made of stainless steel even though the King Cobra was one of the best razors I've ever tried shave wise if not the very best.

I'll share my thoughts here once I give it a go.

Mongoose Head arrived yesterday. I paired it with an Ikon Shavecraft Special edition handle. Only one word to describe the Mongoose head...AMAZING! I used a Feather Professional blade for my first shave and I was very impressed with the overall quality of the shave. It wasn't my best shave but for my first shave with this new setup it was very good. Once I get the hang of the angle I think this will definitely be my go to shaver. One more thought, the quality of the workmanship is stunning. I love buying a product from an American manufacturer that takes such pride in their work. Well done!

AZKB53-- For me it got even better with a Feather Super! The Mongoose does indeed give me a smooth shave. While not as aggressive as my beloved R41, it does give me BBS without irritation. I ordered both handle sizes and I'm gettting the best results currently with the smaller of the two, although I'm using an Apollo handle I got from Amazon now.

I've been using a BBX (DE-vette, guardless DE) and one time I did not put the 'goose together correctly the first time I used a Super. Just like others did, I did not line up the back of the pieces. This put the blade beyond the guard, but since I never used a Super before, I thought this was normal and thought, "Yeah, that's what I need from a Super!" After a couple passes, I noticed the blade was loose and realized my mistake. Due to my experience with Shavettes and the R41, I did not slice up my face. When I correctly assembled the 'goose, I have to admit I was a little let down by the new mildness, but still got an easy BBS shave.

I love my aggressive razors, and I have the BBX, R41, and Shavettes for when I want, but this Mongoose is right there in terms of dead easy shaving like my FatTip. It's a keeper for sure. Now I need to get an ATT H2 and I should be set... although there seems to be a new player in SS razors.

Mongoose arrived from jtyson today and I'm one shave in with it.

I'll hold my thoughts until I get a few more shaves in then I'll share them here.

Hi ,

in your opinion how many Shaves with the Kai Mild in the Mongoose....i know It is YMMV ;-)

rgds

tam

I just finished 30 days of using the Goose with Kai Mild blades. For consistency I changed the blade every 7 days but could have gone longer.

I just finished 30 days of using the Goose with Kai Mild blades. For consistency I changed the blade every 7 days but could have gone longer.

i am at shave 10 with the Kai and i do not know if It s my imagination or real but this morning I felt some dragging ?.....tomorrow I ll try again it can also be something else like dry lather...or technique

thanks is for your input

tam

i am at shave 10 with the Kai and i do not know if It s my imagination or real but this morning I felt some dragging ?.....tomorrow I ll try again it can also be something else like dry lather...or technique

thanks is for your input

tam

I could not feel mine getting duller or tugging at 7 but I could tell it took more passes to get the job done. You are probably getting close on yours.

I've had a Mongoose since Nov. 15. It is a well made and well thought out razor. I liked the shaves I got with it but I found I liked the shaves from my DE razors better. I can get a smoother shave and just as close with my Parker 3 piece model 94r razor. I can even get a smoother shave from my GEM Featherweight razor.
So I just sold my Mongoose. It was fun to try but I'll stick with my Parker 94r.

I used mine for a couple of weeks and for now it's back in its box. I like it, it's well made and I get good shaves. It's not in any way a game changer for me though. It will appear in my rotation from time to time but that's about all. I tried it with the Kai Mild and the two unguarded Feather blades.

I used mine for a couple of weeks and for now it's back in its box. I like it, it's well made and I get good shaves. It's not in any way a game changer for me though. It will appear in my rotation from time to time but that's about all. I tried it with the Kai Mild and the two unguarded Feather blades.
Hi Brian: Sorry to hear about it. However, I'm glad that you will keep it in your rotation from time to time.

WARHAWK

Ok, I'm about four shaves in and I'm starting to get this thing completely figured out. The first three shaves were with the Feather Pro Super blade and the last one was with a Kai blade.

The Mongoose I got was from the second batch and is the Satin Finish. It has the standard second batch handle that has a nice spiral type look to it. It's larger than any handle I've used so far and I'm not used to it. It felt clunky to me and made the razor move like a tank so I switched it out for a ATT Kronos handle and the thing is as nimble as can be now. I'm not sure if it's the familiarity of the handle but for me it's much improved. The built quality of this razor is very good. The head looks to be built with a little more attention to detail than the handle. Overall it's not as good of a build quality as the ATT razors I own but then again I haven't found anything else that is yet. Once the handle was switched out my opinion of it improved significantly.

I started with the Feather Pro Super blade and for me it was just slightly rough. This was my first experience with this blade and others have had so much success with it that I figure it's my technique. I used it for a couple more days and got some really nice shaves with only a slight amount of irritation. Today I switched it out for a Kai blade and thought that the shave was much smoother. I prefer the Kai blades to the Feather Pro Supers so far.

I do like the wider blades especially on the days where I'm running late for work. They really speed up the shave without sacrificing any quality. These blades are sharper as well. I find that two passes gets me very close to a perfect shave. Three passes is more than is needed as I could likely even get by with two and some cleanup. The blades are very efficient.

Overall I don't find it to be by far the best razor I've ever tried but it's definitely one of the best. The shaves that I got from the King Cobra were a little smoother but I'm not sure if that was mostly attributed to the Dorko blade I was using. It's unfortunate that I can't use that blade in this razor as well. I won't purchase a King Cobra because I won't pay $250 for a razor that's not all stainless steel. It's just too much for something made of Zamak.

Overall, I do find this razor to be excellent and I'm definitely keeping it. I see my shaves getting smoother as I use it more often.
I was wanting a Feather Pro style blade razor for quite some time, but was waiting for one in all stainless. I thought it would be the HuntLee but this will meet that need quite nicely instead.

If you guys know of some good pricing on the Kia Mild blades please let me know. I wouldn't mind picking up a pack or two.

Thank you,
David

Last edited:
Hi Brian: Sorry to hear about it. However, I'm glad that you will keep it in your rotation from time to time.

WARHAWK

I just thought (after replying to you on SBG) that I've only tried it with a very heavy handle. Maybe I should pair it up with a lighter one and see how that works out.

Ok, I'm about four shaves in and I'm starting to get this thing completely figured out. The first three shaves were with the Feather Pro Super blade and the last one was with a Kai blade.

The Mongoose I got was from the second batch and is the Satin Finish. It has the standard second batch handle that has a nice spiral type look to it. It's larger than any handle I've used so far and I'm not used to it. It felt clunky to me and made the razor move like a tank so I switched it out for a ATT Kronos handle and the thing is as nimble as can be now. I'm not sure if it's the familiarity of the handle but for me it's much improved. The built quality of this razor is very good. The head looks to be built with a little more attention to detail than the handle. Overall it's not as good of a build quality as the ATT razors I own but then again I haven't found anything else that is yet. Once the handle was switched out my opinion of it improved significantly.

I started with the Feather Pro Super blade and for me it was just slightly rough. This was my first experience with this blade and others have had so much success with it that I figure it's my technique. I used it for a couple more days and got some really nice shaves with only a slight amount of irritation. Today I switched it out for a Kai blade and thought that the shave was much smoother. I prefer the Kai blades to the Feather Pro Supers so far.

I do like the wider blades especially on the days where I'm running late for work. They really speed up the shave without sacrificing any quality. These blades are sharper as well. I find that two passes gets me very close to a perfect shave. Three passes is more than is needed as I could likely even get by with two and some cleanup. The blades are very efficient.

Overall I don't find it to be by far the best razor I've ever tried but it's definitely one of the best. The shaves that I got from the King Cobra were a little smoother but I'm not sure if that was mostly attributed to the Dorko blade I was using. It's unfortunate that I can't use that blade in this razor as well. I won't purchase a King Cobra because I won't pay $250 for a razor that's not all stainless steel. It's just too much for something made of Zamak.

Overall, I do find this razor to be excellent and I'm definitely keeping it. I see my shaves getting smoother as I use it more often.
I was wanting a Feather Pro style blade razor for quite some time, but was waiting for one in all stainless. I thought it would be the HuntLee but this will meet that need quite nicely instead.

If you guys know of some good pricing on the Kia Mild blades please let me know. I wouldn't mind picking up a pack or two.

Thank you,
David

David try Bullgoose shaving and use coupon code Mongoose. That brings the blades down to $15.20.

Top Bottom