What's new

Who else uses Fountain Pens?

I've used and collected fountain pens for years. My favorite collectibles are Parkers, and my favorite writers are Auroras and Pelikans.

I use a Pelikan Ductus as my daily writer. It writes like a one of their Souverans, but it takes cartridges -- I don't want to have to bottle-fill at work.

I also buy Rhodia or Clairefontaine notebooks and notepads. The paper is perfect for fountain pens and doesn't bleed like that recycled junk in the office supply closet. The way the nib moves across the paper will make you feel like everything you're writing is profound.

I received my Pelikan m150 in the mail today with Noodler's Bulletproof Black! Writing in my Moleskine was a huge disappointment as I've heard it was, but when I went to proper paper my mind was blown at how amazing this pen really is. Moleskine's are a bit too expensive anyways, so I guess I'll try to find a cheaper alternative with better paper (yeah, right!). The piston system is great for filling th epen, and I love how the Noodler's really comes filled to the absolute tip top of the bottle. Open this stuff on a very level and sturdy surface- you have been warned! If I only write with black ink, and I'll probably only stick to the Noodler's, do I have to clean my pen out? Also, how do I even clean it out? Do I just piston fill it like I would with ink, and if so, how do I release what's already in the pen?

When you clean it, just use the piston and empty out the old ink, then fill and reempty a couple of times with soapy water. Repeat with clear water, then refill. My 150 travels with me every day at work and has held up to the use very well. Have to admit my Pelikan 215 is my absolute favorite though. Mine like both Private Reserve American Blue and Mont Blanc Racing Green.

I admit it, I am a sucker for fountain pens. Elegant to write with and force me to slow down and be more legible. Vintage Esterbrooks and Sheaffer's to modern Pelikan's and Cross'. Who else enjoys this bit of luxury?

I do, have been writing with fountain pens since I was 10. Still no other pen for me..

I received my Pelikan m150 in the mail today with Noodler's Bulletproof Black! Writing in my Moleskine was a huge disappointment as I've heard it was, but when I went to proper paper my mind was blown at how amazing this pen really is. Moleskine's are a bit too expensive anyways, so I guess I'll try to find a cheaper alternative with better paper (yeah, right!).

Moleskine, Moleskine...only trying we learn!! It's possible to buy better paper for cheaper prices such as G.Lalo, Herbin à Paris

If I only write with black ink, and I'll probably only stick to the Noodler's, do I have to clean my pen out? Also, how do I even clean it out? Do I just piston fill it like I would with ink, and if so, how do I release what's already in the pen?

It helps the comfort of writing a nice cleaning sometimes...If you don't mind about a transitional ink just fill it with blue, as it wents down on black the blue will take place with several grades of blueish blacks until plain blue.

The secret to clean a pen?A wonderful and simple one: your sink, fill it with warm water and a mild soap, put your pen in the water...One night, 8 to 10 hours inside. The next morning, clean it with regular water, 3 or 4 blasts of air (those lungs are OK?!:001_tongu) inside -> outside (same direction as ink...) and wipe it off with a clean tissue/soft textile and you're done!! Do it regularly (6/8 months), it will increase the longevity of your pen!!

Refill it...first ink will be as a watercolour ink, keep writing on and in 3 minutes you will have your brand new and regular ink flowing. Enjoy!!:wink2:

I used to have a really nice collection of fountain pens, but it was too many for SWMBO so the herd got severely thinned about a year ago. Now my go to pen is a Pelikan Souverän M805 Blue Stripe with a custom nib from Mottishaw. The ink of choice is PR Electric DC Blue and I still have a number of favorite papers.

I have a beautiful old Parker51 (filled with Noodlers Legal Lapis) that I use everyday at work.
Love the pen, the ink .....the entire process and I will not succomb to FPAD nor FPIAD. Ever.
Well I wish I could say that:
30 parker "51"'s
6 parker "21"'s
6 Edisons
1 Franklin Christop
1 Shaeffer "snorkle"
50 Misc others as well as numerous Dip Nibs and 14 different bottles of ink
Serious FPAD, and now a Shaving gear AD

Whoo Boy

30 parker "51"'s
6 parker "21"'s
6 Edisons
1 Franklin Christop
1 Shaeffer "snorkle"

Whoo Boy

:eek::eek: :ouch1:

Esterbrook J Copper
Esterbrook LJ
Parker 51 Aero
Parker 51 Vac
Parker 51 Vac
Parker 51 Aero
Parker Striped Duofold
Parker Striped Duofold
Parker Vacumatic Imperial
Sheaffer Balance (Jade)
Sheaffer Balance (Silver)
Sheaffer Balance OS
Sheaffer Balance (3-25)
Sheaffer Balance (Jade)
Sheaffer PFM
Sheaffer Triumph
Sheaffer Tuckaway
Sheaffer Valiant
Waterman Commando
Eversharp Skyline
Sheaffer Valiant II

That's all my vintages as of today!
Have my PFM inked up and ready to run

I use a St.Dupont Fidelio fountain pen when I write. A beautiful pen that performs very well. When I write in my cigar book or wine book I always use the St.Dupont, it gives a luxurious feeling.

My parents got me a Cross C-Series Carbon Black Fountain Pen for my graduation. Am going to try it out when I get back from holiday but it feels very well balanced. It looks bloody amazing, and can't wait to use it as my main writing instrument. Haven't used a fountain pen since I was about 16 (am 22 now).

30 parker "51"'s
6 parker "21"'s
6 Edisons
1 Franklin Christop
1 Shaeffer "snorkle"

Whoo Boy

I've never heard about using soapy water. I would imagine that getting all the soap out would be very difficult. I use plain water, and never, never use hot water. Always lukewarm, or room temperature.

I have about 50 pens, and Parkers are certainly my favorite, with P51's being my very favorite!! Have you tried a Vanishing Point? They are also incredible.

BTW (and I know you knew this), it's an Edson, not an Edison. :wink2:

I use a fountain pen daily and I love them. I got my first as a gift when I was in high school - an Elysee which is a now out of business German brand. I was recently bit by the FP bug again recently and bought a Waterman Carene and now looking to see which shall be next!

It is interesting in that I find the potential return to older styles of shaving to be inline with fountain pens. There is a hell of a lot more character in a fountain pen than your standard ol' bic :)

I've never heard about using soapy water. I would imagine that getting all the soap out would be very difficult. I use plain water, and never, never use hot water. Always lukewarm, or room temperature.

I have about 50 pens, and Parkers are certainly my favorite, with P51's being my very favorite!! Have you tried a Vanishing Point? They are also incredible.

BTW (and I know you knew this), it's an Edson, not an Edison. :wink2:

Not sure if this is an inside joke or not so I might be overstepping. Edison Pens may not be a typo. Brian Gray is a fellow in the US who makes custom pens under the brand Edison Pen Co. Gorgeous looking pens too.

I've a mandarin yellow vanishing point, which I don't use. My users are an Edison Pearl in Tortoise Lucite and....well, that's it. I'm trying to keep things simple. I mean, I can only write with one at a time anyway! I keep it filled with Private Reserve Orange Crush. I use it for everything: writing lists, marking horrible Latin translations, writing my dissertation.

A fountain pen makes it much more enjoyable, whatever you're writing.

Good heavens, I have so many FPs, new and old. The one that's getting the most daily use is a 1990s special edition of the Eversharp Skyline, Chrome cap, translucent blue barrel.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I got started in straight razors by trading some FPs for straights. It worked quite well, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the straights were of a make / type I've not tried before. (Hint, hint!)

Top Bottom