What's new

Which soaps got better once tallow was removed?

Yes. I’m sure there are still plenty of cows in the world, and not very many traditional wet shavers.

Actually, this made me think. I would think a large proportion of traditional wet shavers are in India, where cartridges never took off. But I guess they don’t sell beef tallow soaps there for religious reasons. I wonder what shaving soaps are popular there - do any of you know?
Godrej.

Edit: I think shaving creams in tubes are more popular in India than shaving soaps.

Please forgive an off topic question (I do not wanna open a new thread).

Are 'shave soap' or 'shaving soap' both grammatically correct?
This has been bugging me for some time.
Please help me regain my peace of mind 😆.
I'm still irked that you posted this. I have been unable to type 'shave' soap or 'shave' brush since. It doesn't look correct to me anymore.

Yes. I’m sure there are still plenty of cows in the world, and not very many traditional wet shavers.

Actually, this made me think. I would think a large proportion of traditional wet shavers are in India, where cartridges never took off. But I guess they don’t sell beef tallow soaps there for religious reasons. I wonder what shaving soaps are popular there - do any of you know?
Trigodon and Hajamat are the most popular soaps there I believe

Vi-John is the most popular..that is the largest selling shaving cream in India and probably the biggest seller world wide. Godrej is well known in India but not even close in sales.

Vi-John is the most popular..that is the largest selling shaving cream in India and probably the biggest seller world wide. Godrej is well known in India but not even close in sales.
I was talking about this:
Screenshot_2023-07-18-22-15-50-26_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg

Now recently discontinued...

What's this wildly popular Vi-John shaving soap then? I just get cans and tubes when I search Google.

I was talking about this:
View attachment 1688476
Now recently discontinued...

What's this wildly popular Vi-John shaving soap then? I just get cans and tubes when I search Google.
That is a well known brand and is pretty good. What I meant was Vi-John is the largest seller of shaving soaps and creams, probably in the world. I was speaking specifically of their creams (which is soap with a bit more water). I do have a thread somewhere that shows the Indian Government comparing these two, plus others, against their legal requirements. Interesting stuff. The Indian government mandates the percentage of fats in shaving soaps and creams instead of letting anything be called such.

First world bias in action. :)

It's the other way around, traditional wet shavers outnumber cartridge/disposable and canned foam/gel users by quite a bit, especially when you start looking at places where the majority of the population doesn't have disposable income.

Just because they don't have internet or speak English doesn't mean they don't exist. Most of the Russian blades that so many of us enjoy weren't deliberately made for export to rich Americans. They were made because the local population buys them. Ditto for Indian blades.

Most of us view a carton of 100 blades as a non-expense. It's throw away money, less than the price of a fast food meal. In India, some vendors sell individual blades because that's all the local population can afford. When you make less than $1 a day, a five cent blade represents a significant investment.

Lately I've been seeing ads on TV for canned Barbasol, just like I remember as a kid. I'm going to buy a can just because, and I don't give a Tinker's damn what's in it.

Why can't they just leave people alone. The cow is dead and if it's fat is used to make shaving soap or thrown into the garbage the cow is still dead. At least when it becomes quality shaving soap it didn't die in vain. Nobody complains when they use fat collected at crematoriums to make luxury soaps, but use parts of a dead cow and lookout.

Raychem said:

I do not like triple-milled soaps. The reason is that I am getting old and I have arthritis in my hands. Loading and lathering triple milled soaps takes too much effort and causes too much joint pain. Triple-milled soaps are great if you use them every day such that they stay moist between shaves. However, I have so many soaps in rotation that I can go several months before using a soap again. By that time, the soap has dried out and it might take me 30 minutes of soaking to get the puck soft enough to load. That is too much trouble.

That makes perfect sense, given the choice to use so many soaps in rotation and the wish to minimize load time.

The fact that soaps can dry out quickly if not used regularly has driven me to a different solution. I choose to stick with one soap start to finish. That way I don't have to avoid triple-milled soaps, the soap stays hydrated, and I have time to get to know each soap better. But then I'm a 3017 kind of guy. To each his own.

First world bias in action. :)

It's the other way around, traditional wet shavers outnumber cartridge/disposable and canned foam/gel users by quite a bit, especially when you start looking at places where the majority of the population doesn't have disposable income.

Just because they don't have internet or speak English doesn't mean they don't exist. Most of the Russian blades that so many of us enjoy weren't deliberately made for export to rich Americans. They were made because the local population buys them. Ditto for Indian blades.

Most of us view a carton of 100 blades as a non-expense. It's throw away money, less than the price of a fast food meal. In India, some vendors sell individual blades because that's all the local population can afford. When you make less than $1 a day, a five cent blade represents a significant investment.
Here in the United States, I'm considered lower-middle class. But if I compare myself to the 7 billion people on the planet, I suddenly become a "one-percenter".

It seems import and and maybe even domestic production of tallow and tallow based soaps are banned in India. I've read that from members on the Wetshavers India subreddit, and some news articles. Not a lot of English language resources.

Top Bottom