What's new

Which razors do you wish you hadn't bought?

The very first one I got from aliexpress. But it was my first and it was cheap so I'm not complaining. It's just a learning tool for me.

That thing is NASTY.

For me personally, it has to be the Parker Variant. Paid good money for it. I could never get a comfortable shave from it. I had already been wet shaving for over 20 years when I bought it. No matter how well prepared I was for the shave in terms of pre shave prep, blade choice and technique, it was always uncomfortable and left me with lots of irritation. I finally sold it and bought a Merkur Progress and the difference was like night and day.
Yes experience and technique makes a huge difference, but there are some razors that just won't work for you no matter what.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I wish that I'd latched onto what I have when it first came out, but for the preceding decades I still needed to shave. So my regrets are three purchases in the preceding decade or so. They were nice enough razors, just not "it" for me, a Merkur long handle, a DE89, and an AS-D2.

Muhle R41 Stainless GS. I wanted to love it. I have the R41 twist but this thing is so much more aggressive to me for some reason.

I would like to buy only those razors that suit me according to certain criteria.
Everything needs to be compared.
You can find out which one is best for you only if you compare.

Merkur Progress
Karve stainless steel
Rockwell 6C.

Merkur Progress: I changed three of them, they were all defective, the blade was misaligned but it was also vertically crooked, it looked like a slant razor. They were new productions. Merkur assistance was the worst I've ever had.

Karve: Beautiful razor, it just didn't work for me.

Rockwell: razor that works very well but too heavy and bulky, I would gladly buy a slim and light stainless steel version.

I have paid too much for some rare vintage razors that I really wanted to try. Often they were poor performers and I sold them at a loss. I still got try some rare razors though and now understand that the fun part was hunting them down. Ownership was an anticlimax in several cases. No regrets.

I recently purchased the Fatip Grande and Piccolo to match my gold gillette new standard. Having been living under a rock the last decade I wasn't aware that they made design modifications to the top cap. They really neutered this razor, the most agressive blade position on the new version is milder than the mildest blade position on the old head. I am going to try shimming or look for v1 heads in gold if they still exist out there.

When I first got into razors I purchased a Feather AS-D2, knowing what I know now, I wish I hadn't bought it... Personally, for me, I was disappointed with the Blackland Blackbird. It was one of the first ones to be produced, so maybe that had something to do with it? I just could not get a comfortable shave like my other premium razors.

Hmmmm it is just in the eye of the beholder since I have sold a couple of them since and they are a big part of the learning curve

paa alpha eclectic slant it could shave without a blade sharp finish
Ikon x3 I never could get the hang of it
Focus dynamic r50 that tail heavy balance
Gillette slim (mine is defect)
Gem Bullit tip mweeh
Gem damaskeene mweeh 2
Yaqi katana uh yaaaiks

and some I already forgot 🤪

Hmmmm it is just in the eye of the beholder since I have sold a couple of them since and they are a big part of the learning curve

paa alpha eclectic slant it could shave without a blade sharp finish
Ikon x3 I never could get the hang of it
Focus dynamic r50 that tail heavy balance
Gillette slim (mine is defect)
Gem Bullit tip mweeh
Gem damaskeene mweeh 2
Yaqi katana uh yaaaiks

and some I already forgot 🤪

I too sold my Ikon X3, just never got along with my face 😂

The one that I am really disappointed in was a third generation UK Aristocrat. It was the most beautiful razor that I have ever owned but I could never get a comfortable shave from it. I recently traded it.

Top Bottom