What's new

which omega brush is the new Proraso Professional Boar Hair Shaving Brush?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-2-12_16-31-54.png

Ordered one from ebay. Best price. Free shipping. Will measure it sometime. Maybe.

Good thread.

It is a short lofted Pro brush. None of the Omega regular lines has a Pro brush with that kind of a loft.
It has an excellent backbone and it is much better focused than the regular Omega Pros.
In fact, it is one of my favorites.
proxy.php

Left to right:
Zenith, 48, Proraso Pro, 011829 Premium

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It is a short lofted Pro brush. None of the Omega regular lines has a Pro brush with that kind of a loft.
It has an excellent backbone and it is much better focused than the regular Omega Pros.
proxy.php

Left to right:

Also ordered this 24mm knot, 48 mm loft brush. Wooden handle. eBay.

upload_2018-2-12_17-31-3.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

Left to right:

How does the Zenith compare to the Poraso ?

Softer finer bristles so even though it is a shorter loft, it has less of a backbone.
Nicer aluminum handle, but nothing wrong with the Omega handle either.
Mine still looses a bristle or two every other shave, and none of my Omegas exhibited this.
The nicest handle is of the green Omega Premium, bit it is not as comfortable as the others.

Also ordered this 24mm knot, 48 mm loft brush. Wooden handle. eBay.

View attachment 859962

Happy shaves,

Jim
You're really loading up on some nice boars Jim, I hope they provide great service for you! I have 2 Proraso Omegas which took a bit longer to break in, but are well worth the effort. My Zeniths with the exception of the Big Scrubby are all soft easy blooming boars, the bleached bristles also had no odor. Good luck.

Last edited:
My main and only brush is a proraso. First I didn't like it, a bit stiff. But after 1 month of usage, it is soft enough and I am using for face lathering. I am enjoying it a lot.

I am tempted to get another boar brush for face lathering. Main requirement is to have a smaller handle than proraso and a bit softer bristles from the beginning... and an affordable price. :)

Glad to get suggestions. I might get another proraso brush.

By obtaining another boar brush be it Proraso or other, you will be able to allow each one an opportunity to have a better drying cycle. Completely drying a boar brush enables the tips of the loft to split or "bloom' fully which improves the brushes ability to carry lather, and generally improves greatly the face feel. Omega offers a large selection of affordable boar brushes, the one you already have is an excellent brush and deserves it's popularity.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My main and only brush is a proraso. First I didn't like it, a bit stiff. But after 1 month of usage, it is soft enough and I am using for face lathering. I am enjoying it a lot.

I am tempted to get another boar brush for face lathering. Main requirement is to have a smaller handle than proraso and a bit softer bristles from the beginning... and an affordable price. :)

Glad to get suggestions. I might get another proraso brush.

There are plenty of boars out there, but I'm not so sure about finding very many which are soft right away. Of course you can do a break in process with the brush prior to using it, and continue with your current brush while doing that process.

Here's one method, link. It is fast and safe, and at least gets things going right away. You can combine it with parts of my method. The main thing is the wet to dry cycle. Dry means at least 24 hours. Longer is better probably.

Here's more information, including the basics of my boar break in method.

To break in a boar brush: Soak it in water for three days in the refrigerator. Every day take it out and rub the ends of the bristles gently mimicking lathering on a dry towel for three to ten minutes; then return the brush to the water in the fridge.

After three days remove the brush from the fridge and let it dry, but continue the process by soaking the dry brush for a few minutes daily. Then rub the bristles on a dry towel for a few minutes. Then let the brush air dry for about 24 hours, or more, and repeat the process.

The wet dry cycle + the towel rubs do the trick over time.

Repeat until you see many, many split ends on the brush.

Doing this every day will facilitate break in. It will still take a good while, and will not totally break the brush in but it will really help get things going.

The links talk about the same thing, more or less.

This is mostly for the picture of the split ends, link.

Some links may be repetitive.

Link. Link. Link. Link. Link. Link.

This, link, is to another method, a method using very hot water. I've not used it. I don't know if it works or if it is safe. It is interesting. I have a kettle which heats water to any specified temperature so I may try the method on a replaceable, inexpensive brush. Read the related posts further along in the thread also.

If you like a very small handle the Omega Mighty Midget is a great brush, but it requires some breaking in. You can find it for $7, and it is worth many times that compared to many brushes. It's a small brush but it has a fat knot. I face lather with it.

Another good boar is the Stirling, but its handle may be larger than what you're looking for.

Have you considered the tiny Mixed Midget - boar and badger - a great lathering machine?

Hope this helps,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-2-19_12-36-51.png

This little Zenith Short and Scrubby Boar Brush might appeal to you. Knot 24mm. Loft 48mm. Pretty soft with only minimal break in procedure. The handle looks big but is way smaller than the Proraso Pro brush (I have both).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Two new brushes arrived Saturday, but I didn't get them out of the office mailbox until this morning.

My brand new Proraso Professional boar has a knot of 27mm and a loft of 55mm. Measured by me with calipers. I don't know what it is "supposed" to be, but that's what it measures. Fine by me. Shampooed twice today it smells pretty bad, but I know how to fix that.

My brand new Zenith Short and Stubby boar has a knot of 25mm and a loft of 44mm. My measurements. The Zenith, shampooed twice today smells fine. I'll let it dry overnight, and probably use it in the morning. I can see some split ends already.

Both are already softer than I expected.

I used this initial break in method, using my office hand soap, link.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have 2 Zenith brushes from tvbshaving - they're a hair loos machines. Zero cooperation from this one Paolo, awful experience. (This is mine second bad experience with this shop... by the way)

Gesendet von meinem Motorola mit Tapatalk

Two new brushes arrived Saturday, but I didn't get them out of the office mailbox until this morning.

My brand new Proraso Professional boar has a knot of 27mm and a loft of 55mm. Measured by me with calipers. I don't know what it is "supposed" to be, but that's what it measures. Fine by me. Shampooed twice today it smells pretty bad, but I know how to fix that.

My brand new Zenith Short and Stubby boar has a knot of 25mm and a loft of 44mm. My measurements. The Zenith, shampooed twice today smells fine. I'll let it dry overnight, and probably use it in the morning. I can see some split ends already.
Both are already softer than I expected.
Happy shaves,
Jim

Jim how are you doing with your Thater boar brush? Have you used it yet?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have 2 Zenith brushes from tvbshaving - they're a hair loos machines. Zero cooperation from this one Paolo, awful experience. (This is mine second bad experience with this shop... by the way)

Gesendet von meinem Motorola mit Tapatalk

The Zenith shop I've used is on ebay, link. But, I'm new to Zenith brushes, so I know nothing except there's a vendor on ebay and he has many brushes, some are custom orders for his shop. He's into the brand for sure.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Zenith shop I've used is on ebay, link. But, I'm new to Zenith brushes, so I know nothing except there's a vendor on ebay and he has many brushes, some are custom orders for his shop. He's into the brand for sure.

Happy shaves,

Jim
+1 for Dr Michael, I've done a lot of business with him. Great selection of Zenith brushes and always adding. Responsive to his customers also. Enjoy your new brushes Jim!

I might add that you can name your brand of brushes and somebodys gonna have a shedder. It ain't a perfect world. I've got one now but I'm not going to name the brand as I have others that are among my very favorites.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Thater brush has not arrived yet. I assume it will arrive very soon, but there's been no tracking or other indication.

I'm ready for it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My Thater boar brush arrived today. I hope to use it tomorrow morning.

What a nice handle! Obviously, I don't know anything yet about the knot from experience, but it looks very good indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom