What's new

which omega brush is the new Proraso Professional Boar Hair Shaving Brush?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Thater boar brush arrived today. I hope to use it tomorrow morning.

What a nice handle! Obviously, I don't know anything yet about the knot from experience, but it looks very good indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have used the Thater boar a few times and been very much unimpressed. Wimpy backbone. I've written about it a few places on the forum, and am trying to figure out its issues (or mine).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 859941

Ordered one from ebay. Best price. Free shipping. Will measure it sometime. Maybe.

Good thread.

Ah, the Proraso Pro...

My measurements with my calipers. I've measured a few brushes. This is how this one measures.

ItalianFlag.Proraso.640.4-18.JPG

The photo also shows my Italian Flag.

Proraso boar: 27mm knot. 55 mm loft.

Experience teaches me that published measurements (vendor's measurements) are very often incorrect. Also, not all brushes of the same exact kind are the same exact size when you get them.

Has the original question been answered? Not to my satisfaction. Seems to me the Proraso could be a shorter lofted 49 or it could be an 83 (with perhaps a shorter loft), or it could be neither. I am not saying the handle and the loft are the only parameters involved. Perhaps the bristles are of a different type or quality or density?

I think it an interesting question. However, I do not have a 49 nor do I have an 83. My only somewhat similar Omegas are the 48 and the Italian Flag; clearly the Proraso is neither in any respect.

I am absolutely no expert on the Proraso Pro but it seems to me it has a great amount of backbone, and is hard to break in, and is not terribly similar to my other Omegas.

I believe it is regarded as a "Professional" brush which seems to mean something to Omega. They have a Professional Series (Connaught link). I believe it may also be regarded as a premium brush, but that might be merely my impression; maybe its knot is similar to the Omega 011829 except larger?

Jade.UsedOnce.Damp.4-18.640.JPG

Link.

Also, the Italian Flag is described as Professional, link, but mine seems different in its bristles from any of my other Omegas.

Obviously, there is a lot I don't know about these brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. Many of my friends pushed this buttonupload_2018-5-2_16-25-42.pngjust to find themselves admitted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom