What's new

Which of your scents have passed the "wife/gf test"?

My wife has dubbed the following "Old Man" scents:

Anything Bay Rum
Clubman

And she says she can't believe "anyone" would wear:

Lilac Vegetol

The list she approves of is, well, everything else!

Proraso Splash/Balm
Truefitt & Hill 1805
Booster's Lilac
The Shave Den Iced Lime, Subzero
Any Lavender scented aftershave

Repellent:

Any drug store variety - AV and especially Clubman Pinaud

The wife loves:

Polo
D.R. Harris Sandalwood
AOS Sandalwood
Elizabeth Ardent for Men
Grey Flannel
Eau de Grey Flannel

Disaproved:

Skin Bracer
English Leather
High Karate (old memory)
Brute

My wife doesn't really care. Which is good and bad.

Although she does occasionally tell me I smell nice. I think she just wants to pay my a compliment and appeal to my obsession, rather than that she actually likes a particular scent.

My wife has never made a comment about any aftershave I've ever used.

She dislikes any cologne that doesn't smell "manly."

My Wife is pretty amenable to most scents I wear, but especially likes:

AV musk
Brut
Ivy Club
English Leather

She Does not care for:
Lilac Vegetal
Skin Bracer

Wife's List-

Lilac Vegetal - "That's a nice respectable Spring smell. No, I don't smell any cat pee." Biggest surprise yet for me. She likes the Veg. I thought I'd have to hide that one, or stubbornly work it in, but she liked it out the gate.

Top,
I think we've got ourselves a couple keepers! My bride also digs the Veg. And most any AS I currently sport. She's not a big fan of M&L Orange Blossom (nor am I to be honest) and she can take or leave Lime Sec. Other than that I can get away with pretty much anything.

Now colognes are a whole different story. She totally digs them and looks forward to the days I rock the Acqua Di Gio or Polo Sport. These always seem to have "very favorable results" if you know what I mean :wink:

So far, she likes:

Blenheim Bouquet
English Fern
Douro
Proraso AS splash
Musgo AS splash
(EJ Sandalwood cream)

Told me not to use:
Any of the things from our youth: Brut, Grey Flannel, English Leather, Old Spice, etc.
SCS Woods
SCS Very Vetiver
Any strong Bay Rums
Endymion

Last edited:
wife thinks any of the high end stuff in general smells like old man stuff and likes the way I used to smell better, so, not so hot:

anything Pen's (BB, Duoro, Opus)
anthing Creed (GIT, Bdp, SWM, any number of Creed samples I have had)
T&H Grafton (and any number of T&H samples I have had)

I forget what she said about K 10 or AV.

Clubman, LV, FW, Clubman Eau de Portugal, probably lots else that are inexpensive and considered barbershop smell like old man stuff

C&S 88 smells "okay," as does Aramis Havana--thinks they smell similar, which is kind of hard to believe!

I suppose she must like: Issy, Gucci Rush (me, too, underrated, very much wood), Jacomo, maybe original Aramis, Lapidus, Grey Flannel, Z14 maybe.

My wife mostly likes what I like. She likes Creed stuff and bought me a bottle of Vintage Tabarome so that I wouldn't run dry. She also likes Knize Ten and C&S 88 (which my daughters bought me for father's day). On the other hand, she likes most of the Pinaud ranges too--especially Clubman. She told me that she really likes fragrances with lavender, so anything from Creed's Bois du Portugal to Caldey Abbey after shave goes over well.

Her favorite "mass market" fragrances are Gray Flannel, which I was wearing when I met her, and Burburry Brit, which she picked up for me at duty free when it came out. I like them too, so it's no problem for me to wear them if we're going out or something.

The only thing that I have that makes her wince is English Leather. The after shave is OK, but the cologne is a no-go.

The fiancee LOVES my CO Bigelow Bay Rub AS. I tried it on when we visited NYC and ordered it when I got home. Love the stuff. She can't stop smelling me when I have it on.
Ben

My wife absolutely loves:
TOBS Sandalwood
TOBS Mr. Taylor
Ogallala BR+sandalwood
Ogallala BR+sage and cedar
CK obsession

She likes:
Ogallala BR+limes and peppercorns
most other lime/citrus scents

Does not like:
Old spice
brute
or really any of the drug store stuff

OK, I am going to work on this one for us all. I have been away from home so I started my new wet shaving "hobby" while visiting my dad's house helping out with my step mother who has been in the hospital. I do know this, my wife likes the smell of the Gillette Series gel that I have. I know that she likes Adias Moves. I know that her favorite fragrence for me period was Ralph Lorens Safari for men. That stuff to her is like cat nip. However they do not make it any longer plus it is expensive. We will see what she thinks about pinaud clubman, I just found a bottle at a CVS drug store. :) My wife has told me that she wants me to smell like a guy, not like a flower, a piece of fruit, or a woman.

Paul

Top Bottom