What's new

Which of your scents have passed the "wife/gf test"?

I can admit I have a small addiction to after shaves (who here doesn't :001_rolle). Within my selection I find that they all have a place in my heart, but this is not always true with the "wives/girlfriends". Different strokes for different folks I guess. I will say that even if I like a scent the "wife/girlfriend" test is the most important in my book, as it lends itself to other bonuses :cool:.

Mine go as follows:

--GF Approved--
-Old Spice (Shultton, P&G)
-Aqua Velva
-Barbasol Pacific Rush
-Pinaud Bay Rum

--GF Denied--
-Lilac Vegetal
-Ivory Club

So the real question is, which scents do you have that have passed the test?

She approves of Booster's "Iced Lime" or "June Clover" or Proraso.
I guess she doesnt mind them cause the scents are mild and just present themselves as clean. They do what they have to do & then move along. Aqua Velva might be questionable & pushing it, I am sensing a "no" from her on that one. :nono: She might be just tolerating it.

Last edited:
My wife has denied nearly all my aftershaves so far. The list includes...

Ivory Club
AV - Ice Blue, Sport and esp Musk
Pinaud Clubman
Pinaud Bay Rum (too clovey)
Masters Bay Rum (less strong of a hate, but not her favorite either)

She will say no to the Mandom that is on the way too, I can guarantee that. What does she like? Not much, that is for sure. Cologne-wise, she like the leather colognes like T&H Spanish Leather and similar. Other than that, I am still searching.

She likes Swiss Pitralon from day 1!

I had to get used to it myself but do like it now...

Musgo ASB passed the test already because it smells nice 'n' sweet!

She loves Salvador Dali, really likes Old Spice and Irisch Moos and accepts Aqua Velva and Tabac.

The one that troubles her is the Pinaud Bay Rum so I only use it when she has a cold because than she likes that one too...:biggrin:

Wife likes: Old Spice (don't have anymore)
Tabac
D.R. Harris Sandalwood
C&M Tricorn
Obsession (absolute favorite)
Zino Davidoff
TOBS Sandalwood
G. Beene Grey Flannel

No dislikes; we both agree before I buy.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wife Approved
-Old Spice (Shulton)
-Aqua Velva (Blue and Green)
-Pinaud Clubman
-Ivy Club
-Home made Bay Rum
-Lilac Vegetal (she hated it at first, now she loves it)

Wife Likes:
Nivea Sensitive Balm
AV Ice Blue
Speick
Burberry Touch
Proraso
Anything 'Fresh' or 'Citrus'

Dislikes:
Old Spice - Ivy Club
Ogalia Bay Rum
Lilac Vegetal
Pinaud Clubman

My Bride loves

Stetson
Clubman
Barbarsol Brisk and Pacific Rush
Wild Country
Black Seude

Hates Brut, old spice (her late father wore it and I can't smell like dad)

Bloody few!

Acceptable: Dominica Bay Rum, Ogallala Bay Rum, Floid (Italian, classic)

Unacceptable: Tabac [groan], Musgo Real, Speick, Floid (Italian, blue), Pre de Provence, Proraso, Nivea, L'Occitane Cade [sigh],

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Proraso did :)biggrin:)

MG5 and Bravas, no worries

Mandom, she's not sure :)eek: I told her it's her or Mandom)

Nivea is so neutral that it's ok...

I'm preparing for Pino Silvestre...

I have been trying to make my gf LEARN to love Ivory Club and Brut.
She wants me to wear Polo Black cologne and smell like a Metrosexual :rolleyes:
I told her real men just splash Ivory Club on themselves all day long :cool:
Wp

Wife's List-
Obsession for Men - "Rowrrrrrrr." It's become the, uh, evening scent of choice. She's liked this one for a long time. Rather than pop for the Obsession brand AS, I've concocted a witch hazel and cologne mix I use as an aftershave.

Old Spice - "You smell really good! What's that?" I think there is a generational skip here. Her dad probably thought it wasn't "hip", so I can wear it without creeping her out. She doesn't think the Ivory Club is any different.

Bay Rums - "Mmmm, cookies!" She thinks they smell like Christmas, and she is a Christmas addict.

Tabac - "What's that? Hairspray?" She likes it, but it reminds her of AquaNet or Ivory soap.

Aqua Velva - "Did you just brush your teeth, or is that a new mouthwash?" She's not a big fan but doesn't hate it, she thinks it smells like medication.

Grey Flannel - "The Flannel stuff? You didn't just put it on, did you?" She likes this one, but she thinks it has ammonia tones on application that she actively dislikes. I'm off limits for at least ten minutes.

Afta - "Ugh, old grandad smell. Didn't you get rid of that yet?" She dislikes menthol/mint, and there's an association here. Genuine thumbs down.

Lilac Vegetal - "That's a nice respectable Spring smell. No, I don't smell any cat pee." Biggest surprise yet for me. She likes the Veg. I thought I'd have to hide that one, or stubbornly work it in, but she liked it out the gate.

Florida Water - "Did you just clean the floor?" She thinks it smells like a Pine-Sol derivative. She likes Pine-Sol, but thinks it's an odd scent for a man to want to wear.

I think she was tepid towards Cool Water way back when. Not a fan of the small bottle of English Leather cologne I purchased on a whim, so I'll probably skip the AS version. Tom's of Maine Mint shaving cream makes her ill.

Based on the responses I've received, I'm up for suggestions on different AS or colognes that she might like. I'm thinking I might try a darker leather scent on her, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Approved:

L'Occitane Cade splash
D.R. Harris Marlborough
Floris Santal
Proraso
Speick
Aubrey Organics City Rhythms

Banned:

Musgo Real
Aqua Velva
Tabac
Floid (all of 'em)