What's new

Which is your oldest brush that you still use?

Fellas,

Post pictures please of your oldest brush that you still use time after time giving details of the year you bought it. You do have some nice brushes don't you?

Unfortunately my oldest brush is 3 months old, so no pictures by me.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm really not at all sure. Rubberset stopped making brushes back in 1957 and sold all their remaining stock so all of my Rubberset brushes have to be at least 60 years old. Many of the other US shaving brush makers also ceased production around then as well. Many of them are far older and a few that were handed down to me from my Dad and Grandfather may well be pushing the century mark.

Some of the older Rubberset brushes:
proxy.php

a Kent labeled shaving brush that was made in 1923:
(may have actually been made by Simpson)
proxy.php

Some US MadeRite brushes:
proxy.php

EverReady brushes:
proxy.php

There is nothing wrong with an experienced brush or experienced razor or an experienced barber.

20170524_130209.jpg

My Simpsons 57 brush is at least 4 years old. Bought it used and saw the same picture in the listing from a post on another shaving site from 2014.

Now here's a brush that needs no introduction. The famous VDH Green Boar Brush. This was my second brush after I got back into wet shaving and is over five years old. I found it in the bargain shelf in Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $3. It is still in my boar rotation only because it is now "perfect".

DSC02089a.jpg

Most of my brushes are old handles with new knots. The brush I used the longest, a Vulfix 2234, recently bit the dust. I think I bought the brush in 2005. I widened the handle, put a new knot (TGN 22mm finest) in it, and it’s back in business. Obviously, it doesn’t meet the criteria of this post 100%, put I have put a lot of miles on that handle.

F4956325-4E4D-484A-9D7B-150824254201.jpeg

Wait a second guys. Are you saying that a quality badger / boar brush can last 10 years and resist to the daily usage?

That opens many questions by me, but let's keep this thread counting.

It's getting interesting. Hope new post with pictures will be coming, also.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Wait a second guys. Are you saying that a quality badger / boar brush can last 10 years and resist to the daily usage?

That opens many questions by me, but let's keep this thread counting.

It's getting interesting. Hope new post with pictures will be coming, also.
No, a quality badger or boar or horsehair brush can last many generations.

But while you can use the same brush daily I was taught that you should have at least three brushes and let them dry at least two days between use. Of course that was before homes were air conditioned and so often far more humid than today's homes.

At least 30 year old Kent, Rooney and Simpson Persian Jars:
proxy.php

No, a quality badger or boar or horsehair brush can last many generations.

But while you can use the same brush daily I was taught that you should have at least three brushes and let them dry at least two days between use. Of course that was before homes were air conditioned and so often far more humid than today's homes.

At least 30 year old Kent, Rooney and Simpson Persian Jars:
proxy.php
Beautiful!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Beautiful!
The handles on those brushes are made from a product called Catalin and according to an interview with Gary Young (one of the Simpson family) was used up until about 1980 IIRC. That makes those brushes at least 38 and more likely closer to a half century old.

An interesting thing is that the Kent on the far left is actually almost the same shape as Simpson's modern Persian Jar and quite different than the Simpson on the far right. Since Simpson was making brushes that were sold under other companies names at that time (as well as now) it's possible both the left & right brush might be Simpsons.

I have 4 vintage brushes I use each week. Ever-Ready 250PB, H40, 400PBT and a 500PBT. I'm guessing they're all 50 to 60 yrs old.
300PBT.jpg 500PBT2.jpg WP_20180125_003.jpg

Now here's a brush that needs no introduction. The famous VDH Green Boar Brush. This was my second brush after I got back into wet shaving and is over five years old. I found it in the bargain shelf in Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $3. It is still in my boar rotation only because it is now "perfect".

View attachment 875286
same here, mine is about 7 years old, it took a while for the ends to split but now is so nice!!! Is got to be on the cheap but worth to buy brush list!

Here's my 56-year old Victoria boar brush (along with my setup for the 2013 Highlander Challenge):

It was one of the gifts my Mom gave to my Dad for their 5th wedding anniversary in 1962. He passed it down to me around 1985. I used it about once a week since then, until this year when the handle started to crack.

I'm debating whether to send it to someone for restoration or if it's something that I can fix myself.

Top Bottom