What's new

Where do you buy blades?

Amazon and Pasteur's Pharmacy in New York City.
Pasteur's was offering free shipping even on small orders but recently changed their policy, just to let you know. I think the minimum order is in the neighborhood of $35 but don't quote me on that. They usually have a very good selection and their service is fantastic.
As much as I confess I'm not a huge fan of Amazon's monopolistic business practices, I confess I do use them often for blade purchases. Between their pricing (which can be very good) and Prime delivery, it's hard to beat them if money is the bottom line. They also have a decent, if not overwhelming, selection from various sources.

Amazon and Pasteur's Pharmacy in New York City.
Pasteur's was offering free shipping even on small orders but recently changed their policy, just to let you know. I think the minimum order is in the neighborhood of $35 but don't quote me on that. They usually have a very good selection and their service is fantastic.
As much as I confess I'm not a huge fan of Amazon's monopolistic business practices, I confess I do use them often for blade purchases. Between their pricing (which can be very good) and Prime delivery, it's hard to beat them if money is the bottom line. They also have a decent, if not overwhelming, selection from various sources.

I didn’t even think to check out brick and mortar stores. I’ll look into them.

Long shot: anyone in the Madison, WI area know of local places that sell blades?

Where do people buy blades? I’m guessing Amazon? Any concern about buying counterfeits or anything like that?
Amazon for me. Never an issue with counterfeits, personally, but I do pay attention to what the actual source is, and as long as it's "sold and shipped" by Amazon I don't sweat it since I've never had an issue with returns when Amazon is the actual seller.

I've been wondering this myself. I usually buy from Maggard's because their shipping, while not free, seems reasonable and they've always been very prompt. I also like their selection.

Either that or local pharmacies so far, mostly Personna.

Murphy and McNeil is another place I look but haven't purchased blades from them yet (I have bought other things from them). Most of what they have in stock at the moment seems to be vintage blades.

I buy from Amazon and look for the 3rd party seller to be "Razor Blade Club". Prices are right and I have no concerns about fakes. I like Treet and I doubt there is much of a market for counterfeit Pakistani razor blades anyway.

Long shot: anyone in the Madison, WI area know of local places that sell blades?
Wal-mart should have the Van Der Hagen five-pack for $2.99. Not a great price for just an OK blade, but it's fine in a pinch.

I no longer recommend Amazon because if what I read is true, Amazon puts every seller's items in the same bin in the warehouse. This means that you have no guarantee of getting certain stock, whether legit or counterfeit, because everything is comingled. Like I said, if this is true. Links:

Therefore, I only buy blades from outfits who I can trace their stock. Italian Barber, Maggard Razors, legit salon sellers on eBay, etc.

I buy where ever is cheapest
some online stores have sales where blades I want are on sale

if I do buy from Amazon pretty easy to open up examine and test if one is concerned :)
but never had a issue yet :) doubt I will

I no longer recommend Amazon because if what I read is true, Amazon puts every seller's items in the same bin in the warehouse. This means that you have no guarantee of getting certain stock, whether legit or counterfeit, because everything is comingled. Like I said, if this is true. Links:

Therefore, I only buy blades from outfits who I can trace their stock. Italian Barber, Maggard Razors, legit salon sellers on eBay, etc.

Recommendations for legit salon sellers on eBay?

fun fact : technically Pasteur's Pharmacy would be the seldom used Click And Mortar term, as it has both a physical AND an online channel.

Top Bottom