What's new

When 3 brush fanatics get together!

Hello all,

ChiefBroom, AgBill, and I got together last night at Chief's place for an evening of beers and brushes. I thought I'd share my thoughts on the night's proceedings and encourage others to perhaps do the same.

First, I'd like to thank Chief for having us over. His wife probably thought we were nuts to have about 20 brushes on the kitchen counter and 3 B&Bers talk for hours on end about our favorite brushes. My wife gave me the "look" when I told her what I was doing last night and knowing Bill's wife (we're friends) she probably did the same. Bill and I have been good friends for the past 3 years so he and I have had the opportunity to try out each others brushes. It works great when he buys something I've had my eye on and I can get to use it prior to purchasing one similar myself. It has definitely helped keep the acquisition disorder at bay when I get to try out something new for a few weeks.

I purchased a brush not too long ago that led to some interesting discussions about our definitions of finest hair. I got to know Chief and since he lives near by we planned a get-together. The night started off with a tour of Chief's gear and it is very impressive.

The highlight of my evening was being able to see and hold his famous "Pooney." Yes, I held it. :lol:

The three of us primarily favor 2-bands and the majority of our brushes are 2-band brushes so we were able to have good lengthy discussions on the properties of the knots by the different makers. It was very cool to be able to have a much smoother conversation in person where I was better able to explain what something feels like to me and I'm guessing they would agree.

I'll let Bill and Ken give their thoughts on our meet but I thought I'd end this by encouraging others to do the same. We have get-together discussion threads in the main forum but I think smaller groups where we could actually have show and tells are pretty informative. It also helps to have someone that is just as crazy about brushes as I am share in my amazement at how similar yet different some brushes can be.

I was able to test out Chief's Simpson Manchurian and it made me want one. I left him my M&F 2XL Finest (which is nothing like Rooney Finest, but we've had that discussion in another thread) to get his thoughts and I left with his M&F 1XL Finest purchased through classic shaving. I've used it once and it is something else (my thoughts to come).

It was definitely a neat experience and I can't wait to do it again.

Pic will be up from the next meet, with peace pipes, I presume..
:lol:

Envy you chaps - it will certainly tone down acquisition...

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Sounds like a great time. :thumbup1:

I can see ChiefBroom letting you look at "The Pooney" in a worshipful way, but I am amazed that he actually let you hold it! :blink:

I always see references to the whole Pooney thing, where did this originate? Did the R in Rooney rub off on his brush? I feel so left out, apparently I was under a rock when all this came about.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I always see references to the whole Pooney thing, where did this originate? Did the R in Rooney rub off on his brush? I feel so left out, apparently I was under a rock when all this came about.

It all started here with this post..

My brush (R.A. Rooney "Old Style" Three, Size Small, Super Silvertip Badger - Faux Tortoise Handle) arrived today. I was a little disappointed that part of the lettering was rubbed off. The brush was packed well and the outer box showed no sign of damage, so I assume the brush was shipped that way. There was also nothing to suggest the brush had been out the box it had presumabely been stored in prior to packing for shipment -- the knot was squared, as usual.

Would anyone else be bothered by this? Also, I'm curious to know whether others received their brushes in the usual red, labeled boxes? That I don't care so much about, but wondered as mine arrived in a white box that opened at the top and contained no protective wrapping.

attachment.php

Which led to these and many more posts...

ChiefBroom, the brush definitely looks nice but if you are unsatisfied then you should return it. If you keep it there is no shame in rubbing the rest of the lettering off (or adding some paint somehow). It would annoy me more to lather up with a "POONEY" brush than a "no name" brush.

Good point. On the other hand, as far as I know it's one of a kind.

Dang, where can I get my hands on one of those uber-rare "POONEY" brushes??

:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Maybe this one was held back years ago, due to that cosmetic defect ... and now that it's otherwise unobtainable, they offer it for sale.

Consider for a moment that (a) the brushes are out of stock, or (b) you'll get another one, but sooner or later the label will be scratched anyhow. I hope they honour a return if you request one, but ... maybe a return isn't what you really want.

YMMV.

I've been wondering what "Pooney" might be a derivative nickname for.

The rubs obviously aren't a big deal, and Classic Shaving replied today and said they'd accept a return as long as the brush hasn't been used. I looked inside the flimsy, top-opening box it came in and can see dark rub marks on 3 of the sides, so that's pretty clearly what happened. I doubt anyone at CS removed the brush to check it out prior to fulfilling the order.

And you're right, I'm ambivalent. I went overboard on brushes this week (after a year of hardly any interest) and can easily live without this one. On the other hand, having the money back isn't going to accelerate my retirement. And wouldn't I turn around and kick myself in the *** if I handed off the brush on B&B only to have it subsequently sell on eBay for $500+ as a one-of-a-kind Pooney?

Nice! But they're not Pooneys.

In this thread... http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...aving-s-private-sale-of-vintage-Pooneys/page4

Which had started it life with the title "Classic Shavings private sale of vintage Rooneys" , but now has the been renamed "Classic Shavings private sale of vintage Pooneys".

All hail "The Pooney". :ouch1:

Last edited:
You guys had obviously a great time. Up until last year we did something similar here in Belgium. It was mainly about straight razors and hones but we discussed brushes also. I even met DrP in real life once. Unfortunately most of the group don't have any interest in further meetings it seems what with other interests and work. Like you said it's great if you can try out new stuff without buying it first. Pictures, we need pictures!

Sorry to throw a wet blanket on all this but Rule Number 3 in the B&B rule book states:

Pics or it didn't happen.

could a mod please move this thread to the Fiction Forum?

I don't need any visuals on Texaninkc lathering Chiefs Pooney...:ohmy: His admission to momentary possession was quite enough, thank you.:lol:

He barely let me hold it. Lathering was out of the question.

Unfortunately we have no pics to show for it. I guess we were all to excited to remember to take pictures to share with you all. That just means we'll have to do it again.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Great write-up, Jose. I'm visiting my daughter and her husband in Wichita today (her 25th birthday), so don't have time for a full reply right now.

We had a terrific time. It felt a little like being 12-years old again, getting into some mischief with a couple of buds (like breaking into my dad's powder cache to make anti-ant explosive devices). Spousal disapproval enhanced the sense of dark adventure.

We definitely should have taken photos, but we were too much into the moment to think about photo-documentation. There will for sure be more opportunities.

I do heartily recommend others arranging local get-togethers along the same lines. FWIW, this one wasn't intended to be exclusive. Jose, Bill, and I just fell into it as a result of previous brush trafficking. KCHighLife was also invited but had screwed up priorities. We gave him a rain-check anyway.

Beyond the almost giddy comradery, what sticks most in my mind is the image of Jose at our kitchen sink demonically conjuring lather from every brush we put into his hands. It was like a scene from Fantasia.

Gotta go for now. Some more later.

Great write-up, Jose. I'm visiting my daughter and her husband in Wichita today (her 25th birthday), so don't have time for a full reply right now.

We had a terrific time. It felt a little like being 12-years old again, getting into some mischief with a couple of buds (like breaking into my dad's powder cache to make anti-ant explosive devices). Spousal disapproval enhanced the sense of dark adventure.

We definitely should have taken photos, but we were too much into the moment to think about photo-documentation. There will for sure be more opportunities.

I do heartily recommend others arranging local get-togethers along the same lines. FWIW, this one wasn't intended to be exclusive. Jose, Bill, and I just fell into it as a result of previous brush trafficking. KCHighLife was also invited but had screwed up priorities. We gave him a rain-check anyway.

Beyond the almost giddy comradery, what sticks most in my mind is the image of Jose at our kitchen sink demonically conjuring lather from every brush we put into his hands. It was like a scene from Fantasia.

Gotta go for now. Some more later.

Hello, Mr Steward! The Badge looks good on you, Ken.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
(In Jack Nicholson bemused look): You fooled them, Chief - you fooled them all!

That's actually far more fitting in the circumstances!

"The scum also rises," comes to mind as well. And HST actually attended a party (along with the Hells' Angels) at Kesey's place in La Honda. Be assured (to keep this on topic) our little gathering was less raucous than that one. I made a pilgrimage to see that place in 1984. Dogs were barking. Guy with a beard came out the front door and yelled across the creek: "Are you a friend of Ken's?" Priceless moment.

Top Bottom