What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

Just got 200 Astra SP blades delivered from Amazon. They're great reliable performers.
1709103817988.png

I bought these on purpose as I like the half DE format for head shaves , and go through 2-3 a week , my head can't really tell the difference between blades (unlike the skin on the face/neck) , so with this quantity it should last me a while.

View attachment 1803940
Nice. Body shaving can be done with lower tier blades as well. I have plenty of all kinds of blade. The BroShaver is lots of fun!

I have been kind of ticked off since the recent rise in price and change of my favorite P&G blades, and the outright and inability to acquire some other blades. I recently started looking at other brands of blades. Last year I tried shark super stainless blades, I really like them. To me they seem a great balance between smooth and sharpness, and I get between 8 to 10 shaves a blade. So I ordered a 100 pack of them, and I kind of took a leap of faith I scoured the fourm, read a lot of reviews of the Lord super Chrome and decided to order a 100 pack of them as well. I am seriously considering ordering a 200 pack of feather blades even though the cost is high I get the most shaved out of them.
20240301_104845.jpg

20240301_163640.jpg

I have been kind of ticked off since the recent rise in price and change of my favorite P&G blades, and the outright and inability to acquire some other blades. I recently started looking at other brands of blades. Last year I tried shark super stainless blades, I really like them.
If you like the Shark Super Stainless, you might try the Dorco ST300. To me, they perform similarly, but the Dorco is a bit more souped up in sharpness. Last I checked you could get 1000 blades of both for around $60 USD, so that's a minimal investment for a lot of shaves, and they are easy to procure.

The glowing praise from some members got to me. I have the complete set now from this factory. Rhino XR, FlyDear Platinum, and Matgicol Super. That misspelling is hilarious by the way. To the upper right corner, they wrote "double edge" as "doubie edge". Is a doubie like a doobie?

IMG_20240301_172736488.jpg

Last edited:
The glowing praise from some members got to me. I have the complete set now from this factory. Rhino XR, FlyDear Platinum, and Matgicol Super. That misspelling is hilarious by the way. To the upper right corner, they wrote "double edge" as "doubie edge". Is a doubie like a doobie?

View attachment 1805124
It's there to distinguish them from the skoobie edge version (SE)

Just placed an order for 100 Astra SPs. Figured either I get the remnants of the Russia made stock, which is my go-to blade now, or the new Indian ones which I wanted to try anyway. With the latest Permasharp fiasco on Amazon (price doubling almost overnight and wrong blades shipped to multiple people on B&B), might as well stock up on these blades that are still cheap and work great for me. If I get the Indian ones and like them as much as the old version, I’ll probably buy a few more so I am all set for a long time.

I need to learn more about the Dorco blades from Vietnam. Lots of people here have said good things about them. I think there are at least 4 varieties.

If any of you could clue me in to those closest to Perma-Sharps, I’d appreciate it.

I haven't tried my Dorco sample tucks yet, but my understanding is the Dorco Prime is on the sharper end. I was hoping it might be a Perma-Sharp alternative (for when I run out in a decade or so ;) )

I need to learn more about the Dorco blades from Vietnam. Lots of people here have said good things about them. I think there are at least 4 varieties.

If any of you could clue me in to those closest to Perma-Sharps, I’d appreciate it.
I agree with @spacemonkey42, the Dorco Prime is pretty sharp. Not quite to a Perma-Sharp however if that is a deal-breaker for you. I think the Dorco Prime is in the same range as the Lord Silver Star or the Russian Gillette Platinum, and all three are very good in that next tier of sharpness.

If you want to go a bit out of the box, you could try the Treet Dura Sharp in the blue tucks. It's carbon steel so most people won't try to get a lot of shaves from a single blade, but if you don't mind using a blade and tossing it after < 3 shaves, it could be it. The Dura Sharp has very strong initial cutting ability.

100 Nacet. I found The Nacet work exceedingly well in my Gillette new short comb. Nacets while a good blade had not found a place in my den until now. I am getting more blade specific with my razors.
Short comb: Nacet
Henson: Gillette platinum.
Gillette Tech: GSB
General use blade Wilkinson sword India.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I agree with @spacemonkey42, the Dorco Prime is pretty sharp. Not quite to a Perma-Sharp however if that is a deal-breaker for you. I think the Dorco Prime is in the same range as the Lord Silver Star or the Russian Gillette Platinum, and all three are very good in that next tier of sharpness.

If you want to go a bit out of the box, you could try the Treet Dura Sharp in the blue tucks. It's carbon steel so most people won't try to get a lot of shaves from a single blade, but if you don't mind using a blade and tossing it after < 3 shaves, it could be it. The Dura Sharp has very strong initial cutting ability.
The is very useful information. Thx a lot. I’m a one and done guy. Four passes and touch-ups dull DE blades quickly for me. I can push them through 2 shaves but I can feel them degrading. I’ve never been able to complete a 3rd shave yet without changing the blade mid-shave.

Perhaps my poor shaving technique is the problem, but I get 12 hour shaves consistently, so there is that. <eg>

Top Bottom