What's new

What's your go-to bottom shelf whisky?

I used to love white horse, the old blend used to have a fair bit of Lagavulin in the blend, I am not sure of that is still the case. recently I have been drinking less peaty stuff and more bourbon.
The black bottle 10 I had a couple of months ago was quite dissapointing and I have now gravitated back to Bourbon and Brandy.. I feel the scotch industry needs to get its act together . the only blend I really drink on a regular basis now is either teachers , W& M or Cutty Sark Prohibition

It(white horse) seems to be far more available in EU than the uk nowadays
I know a local store that still has a couple of bottles so may have to revisit soon.
It’s been a while that I had WH but yes, the peatiness was the kicker for me. Naked Grouse and the discontinued? Famous Grouse 12y Vatted Malt were great as well for that Sherry notes albeit at a different pricepoint than the more mundane Famous Grouse regular.

It’s been a while that I had WH but yes, the peatiness was the kicker for me. Naked Grouse and the discontinued? Famous Grouse 12y Vatted Malt were great as well for that Sherry notes albeit at a different pricepoint than the more mundane Famous Grouse regular.
Naked grouse is hard to find here as well unless you go via whiskey exchange and pay their premium prices
Honestly for a sherried taste and without breaking the bank, I would just go for Whyte and Mackay, its a very solid basic dram and if you ignore that fact that it has no lingering aftertaste . it is fine as an everyday sipper and I like it a lot. not sure how popular it is outside of UK but here its insanely popular

Naked grouse is hard to find here as well unless you go via whiskey exchange and pay their premium prices
Honestly for a sherried taste and without breaking the bank, I would just go for Whyte and Mackay, its a very solid basic dram and if you ignore that fact that it has no lingering aftertaste . it is fine as an everyday sipper and I like it a lot. not sure how popular it is outside of UK but here its insanely popular
I can get get W&M here for EUR 15.65 same as Famous Grouse. Teacher’s is 12something.

Will give it a try next time I order stuff :thumbsup:

Some will turn their noses but this one is hard to beat taste/price

1704992987654.png

Some will turn their noses but this one is hard to beat taste/price

View attachment 1778279
Nothing wrong with this bottle at all, memories of my youth where me and a buddy would drink this before heading into the bar to save costs lol

Its stood the test of time and still tastes better to me than many so called premium bourbons

And of course the advertising is just legendary with two of my favorite actors

Attachments

• fd042-jim-beam-sean-connery-ad-636.jpg
    fd042-jim-beam-sean-connery-ad-636.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 2
  • elliott-gould-and-barbra-streisand-1.jpg
    elliott-gould-and-barbra-streisand-1.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 2
So what are the favorites today?
Biggest sellers are Grouse and Grants I would imagine, they are always on offer at every supermarket. Today I saw some dude buying 4 x 70cl of Grants lol , I havent touched the stuff in 10 years , but My dad loved it, maybe I need to revisit it

Ballantines isnt that far behind in terms of popularity where I am ( London)
I n fact here Whyte and Mackay outsells them all , but nationwide I would guess Grants and in Scotland its certainly Grouse that sells the most

Top Bottom